iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Jim,

I gather the 5 gallon bucket on the sawdust chute catches the sawdust and gets dumped as it gets full. How does that work for you? I can see where it would significantly reduce the sawdust on the ground but don't you find it takes too  much time to keep emptying it? What do you empty it into?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 24, 2015, 09:22:18 PMI've never asked....but what is the weather like at the PR?
We always have a light jacket available for later in the evening.  The fire is nice.   bon_fire
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on July 24, 2015, 09:39:46 PM
Jim,

I gather the 5 gallon bucket on the sawdust chute catches the sawdust and gets dumped as it gets full. How does that work for you? I can see where it would significantly reduce the sawdust on the ground but don't you find it takes too  much time to keep emptying it? What do you empty it into?

Back in 1994, when we first started with the sawmill, my brother and I would let the sawdust blow onto the ground. Then at the end of the day we would shovel it up into the backhoe bucket and haul it off. That got old real fast, like in a week or less.

I remembered what an old timer told me once. He said if you can catch (something) before it hits the ground they you don't have to bend over and pick it up. We were talking about firewood being cut off with a cordwood saw at the time.
But we applied that to the sawdust coming out the sawdust chute on the mill.

When I'm cutting pine and putting all the slabs into the backhoe bucket to go into the dumpster to be hauled out to the tubgrinders place to be used as fuel wood for the electrical plant boiler, I just dump the sawdust bucket into the backhoe bucket and off it goes.

When I'm cutting hardwood and saving the slabs for firewood then I dump the bucket into a 55 gallon barrel and when the barrel is full into the backhoe bucket and then into the dumpster.

I empty the bucket every time it gets full, or at the end of the pass down the mill. When working with a helper he empties the bucket while I'm backing up to make the next cut.

I don't like walking in a pile of sawdust.
I have always used the bucket and I stopped emptying it while sawing a while ago, as this happened:

and

It can happen so be careful if you use an elbow and a bucket.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

WV Sawmiller

Jim,

Thanks. I will have to look into making one of those JR sawdust catchers. I gather it is just a 4" PVC elbow where the flexible sleeve is now with a hook or notch to hold the handle. Using that I am sure I could scatter the rest that escapes the bucket with the leafblower. I guess I could dump it in the 4 wheeler cart till I make something better.

On my last job was just 2 big hickory logs and I scattered the pile with a shovel and leafblower when done and the customer was happy with that. (Clean up was his job anyway but he was a good guy and like to leave them happy).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jim_Rogers

When on site, I ask the customer where he wants his sawdust dumped. Sometimes they provide a wheel barrow sometimes a trash barrel. It's up to them. If a wheel barrow or trash barrel is not available we usually just dump it into a pile out of the way of the walk paths.

Mine is a 4" 22.5° elbow, thick, I think schedule 40. And I have attached a hook to hang the bucket on.

I put it on the elbow a little too low this time, so I reversed it to hold the pail higher.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

I just saw on the news where the police arrested a weather man for failure to provide good weather.  It's about time that those guys were held accountable for this miserable heat.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Jim,

Thx 4 the pix. I'll try that. Looks like a cheap and easy fix. I guess if I really wanted to get fancy could put a see through mesh with a 4" hole over the elbow cover over the bucket to reduce blowback.
Howard Green

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Magicman on July 25, 2015, 07:31:17 AM
I just saw on the news where the police arrested a weather man for failure to provide good weather.  It's about time that those guys were held accountable for this miserable heat.   :)

MagicMan,

That was here in Newfoundland, Canada. http://ntv.ca/eddie-sheerr-arrested-at-ntv/

The culprit was arrested and faces charges of impersonating a meteorologist, failing to provide the necessities of summer and trafficking in rain drizzle and fog.. It's been 70* F or higher only two days here since we arrived on the 4th of July. Much of the time the daily highs have been in the mid 50's. And the next month is not projected to be much better.

I love visiting my relatives up here and Newfoundland is a wonderful and beautiful place with some of the most hospitable people in the world but this "summer" is certainly falling short in the weather department.

Herb

Magicman

Thanks for the link Herb.  Those charges sound like serious stuff so maybe our weather guy/gal should take note.   :o

SwampDonkey

Been nice and cool here all week, no warmer than 72. Mostly an overcast and showery week. We've had lots of rain now for the woods and gardens. Been eating taters, beets, greens, lettuce, carrots. Soon beans, maters and cukes. Next week it's suppose to get hot again by mid week. We have had the air conditioning on the first two weeks of July.

Not a potato bug on the plants yet this summer and they are not GMO's.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: PC-Urban-Sawyer on July 25, 2015, 08:56:24 AM
this "summer" is certainly falling short in the weather department.

Herb

My mother was there 40 years ago in July and there was still snow in the hills. I was there in the mid 1980's in July and it was 80's and dry all the time. The rivers were low.

New Brunswick has a lot of Newfoundlanders, mostly in government jobs. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

Hey easterners, thanks for the shipment of rain. It is very much appreciated. 8) Nice steady rain this morning which should really help on the fire lines but too late for many crops.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: SwampDonkey on July 25, 2015, 09:50:18 AM
Quote from: PC-Urban-Sawyer on July 25, 2015, 08:56:24 AM
this "summer" is certainly falling short in the weather department.

Herb

My mother was there 40 years ago in July and there was still snow in the hills. I was there in the mid 1980's in July and it was 80's and dry all the time. The rivers were low.

New Brunswick has a lot of Newfoundlanders, mostly in government jobs. ;D

We were living here in Newfoundland in 1991. June 6 I woke up to find six cm (about 2 inches) of fresh snow on the ground in our front yard. It stayed cold enough that the snow hung around all day, that night it rained and all was gone.

mesquite buckeye

101 with a skin searing sun. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

thecfarm

A light rain is supposed to be falling all day. Than a temp change is upon us. Should get up in the mid 80's for 3-4 days.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I have not checked the weather "North" of me.  Guess that it doesn't matter.   8)

Shotgun

40° here this morning.  Just a little snow on the ground.
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

thecfarm

Shotgun,that is kinda cold for the end of July??
The wife had the heat on.  ::) Maybe only for 2 hours,but it was on.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mesquite buckeye

We still have the heat on. :( :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

SwampDonkey

80 degrees here.  ;D

mesquite buckeye

Green and brown sky. Might get wet. Hope the white rocks melt before they hit the ground. :-\ :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:

curdog

Hot and humid, but I did have 5/100 of an inch of rain in the gage today, but I think the four dead bugs may have brought the water level up some.  But the rain did find me as I was driving down a haul road from the top of a mountain,  it got slick quick. It was hairy in my truck, but the log truck in front of me had it rough.
So brown grass,and heat and humidity for the foreseeable future.

Chuck White

90° here (officially) today, but I saw some gas station thermometers that read 94°,  Forcasting 92-94° tomorrow!

No sawing for a couple of weeks, way to hot!  :o
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

We was away from the house but saw the black clouds.We saw leaves in the road that got ripped of from the trees. Than we saw where trees was almost across the road. Than drove by a church camp and a pine had fell between two cabins. Just a little ways up the road 3-4 trees fell on a mobile home. The road we live on was blocked off,so we went another way. Went to turn on the other end of it and was stopped by a state worker. He said the road to Fayette was blocked. I told him I was not going that far,just before that,so off I went. I was able to get home and found a bunch of branches in the driveway. I could see one tree tipped over or broke off in the woods. No time to check on it,had to get the driveway cleaned up so the wife could be open tomorrow.

drobertson

Hot and humid, again,  they say excessive heat warning,  it really seems hotter than normal,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!