iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowstorm

we got about 10" with a lot of wind. tonite they are saying 8 to 12"

thecfarm

Al you still plowing? I gave that up years ago. ;D  I have a snow blower on the back of a 30 hp tractor and that will throw anything from small rocks to snow with the water running right out of it. I know there are more than 2 ways to skin a cat too.  :D  Some guy at work lived on a camp road,thay all paid dues to plow the road and than a couple times in the winter have the banks pushed back by a loader. He kept asking me about mine set up and went and bought one. They all like it. No planing ahead for the what if we get a couple big storm. I even had my boss conviced to buy one too. Of course it was all his idea.  ::) I do know plowing in a truck with a heater is warmer too. I need to at least build a wooden cab. Those glass and metal ones are out of my price range at this time.
Snowing here now. looks like the city people will get more than me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

trapper

they forecast 3in got 6. we need the moisture tho.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

thecfarm

I got 6 inches of real light snow. If the wind starts there will be some bad drifting. The snow is still on the trees. Think I will keep away from the woods until it is off.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

We are clear and 29° here.  Our next weathermaker is just beginning to streak across Texas and should be here Mon & Tues with rain.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

MagicMan,you better hope the temps come up or you will be seeing white.  :(
I've been noticing your just about freezing temps. Is that normal for you?

Magicman

It will warm up.  Our normal weather pattern is from the SW.  As fronts move in, warm Gulf air/moisture is picked up which results in rain.  For us to get snow/ice, it takes a fast moving "arctic express".

We very seldom stay below freezing for more than a couple of days.  If it did, it would freeze our grits off.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

That's what I wanted to know. Don't want your water lines 6 inches deep to freeze.  ;D

Chuck White

We got an additional 4" during the night.

Still doesn't snow like it did when I was a kid, thank God!

I can remember getting anywhere from 2 to 3 feet of snow "over night"!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

Began snowing here at daylight, real fine dry snow.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

If our water lines are buried below the grass roots, it's deep enough to prevent freezing.  Years ago when the community water system that supplies my Cabin was installed, they needed to cross from one side of the county road to the other.  They just poked the 2" pipe through a culvert.  It is completely exposed from the point where it surfaces, through the culvert, and then reenters the ground.  Community water systems regularly attach water lines to bridges.

Ken

We have had 3 significant snowfalls over the past 2 weeks.  It is starting to add up.  We had about 8" on Thursday night with another 8-10" last night.  I went to the woods road today to open up a trail.  Glad I did as I would have not gotten my pickup in the road in the morning due to drifting.  Nearly 2.5 miles into the jobsite from the pavement so any storm is an issue. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

SwampDonkey

That's quite a dump. We got 3" this time and seen sun dogs before dark. Windy to, so yeah drifts.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

The BIG Blizzard of 2012,Dec 27th :D  I know some of you got hit hard. I was watching world news and they was talking about how hard some areas got hit by it. They even mentioned Portland,Maine.  My wife and me looked at each other and started to laugh. I read in the paper that a McDonald's was closing early in Lewiston,about 45 minutes from me,due to the storm. This was one of the streets I saw on TV that was all bare with snow. ::) Mainers are turning into a bunch of babies when it come to the snow now. It's only snow,we are ready for it. It's not that big of a deal. Now if we start to get an inch an hour and can't see in front of you,that is a little different. Just slow down and have good tires and go on with every day life.

Magicman

I do not know what the temps will be, but there is another on the way toward you.  We will get our rain event tomorrow.

lumberjack48

We don't have enough snow for the snowmobiler's, its a big business around here.
We had -25 wind chill this morning, good logging weather. 
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

r.man

We have enough to groom and the sleds have been running a lot of roads since some water is questionable. Had one sled go through and they were fishing it out of the lake yesterday, not an accident, deliberately running open water repeatedly as a "sport". Idiots on parade.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

SwampDonkey

Not really enough to sled good here either. You hit a lot of exposed mud in the fields. Woods might be better, but I found it had to be at least 3 feet because of dead falls.

Raider Bill

Shorts and a tank top here although it's supposed to get chilly tonight around 60 I heard so I will bundle up around a fire and reminisce about the good old days before my escape. :D  8) 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alWlilgb3fQ

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

snowstorm

i like the vid of the 1935 walters. my ih is set up like the one in your vid double wings i only use one and i have a 11' dustpan instead of a vee. a vee is great for poking a hole thru drifts but thats all not very good for plowing roads. get it up to 25mph and it will throw snow 50' thats when plowing is fun

chevytaHOE5674

Watching that video makes me glad that the county I live in does an excellent job plowing UP here and I only have to worry about my mile or so of driveways which is no problem with my pickup and the occasional tractor to push the snowbanks up and back.

JohnM

The last four days... 
Thur evening: take logging winch & toothbar off tractor, put on box blade. 

Fri: push, pull, pile the 12" of overnight snow. 

Sat: finish up driveway, take off box blade, put winch & tooth bar back on, get 'maybe' 4 twitches (plus saw breaks). 

Sunday: remove winch & toothbar, put box blade back on, cleanup Sat nights 6", late in the day take box blade off, put winch on (forget the stupid toothbar!), get maybe 3 more twitches.

Guess I'll have to wait til next year for next years firewood and a rear mount snowblower!   :new_year:

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Autocar

This past week it seems like we get snow about every other day, we need cold weather and it looks like its coming but the snow cover will have to be plowed off first.
Bill

JohnM

Quote from: Raider Bill on December 31, 2012, 03:14:18 PM
Shorts and a tank top here although it's supposed to get chilly tonight around 60 I heard so I will bundle up around a fire and reminisce about the good old days before my escape. :D  8) 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alWlilgb3fQ

FYI:
For anyone interested in this type of old equipment and you find yourself in Bangor, Maine do yourself a favor and check out the Cole Land Transportation Museum.  (http://www.colemuseum.org/)  They have literately tons (;D) of old school planes, trains and automobiles, some really cool stuff including lots of snow removal stuff.  Worth the trip if you're nearby.

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

SwampDonkey

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on December 31, 2012, 05:06:49 PM
Watching that video makes me glad that the county I live in does an excellent job plowing UP here and I only have to worry about my mile or so of driveways which is no problem with my pickup and the occasional tractor to push the snowbanks up and back.

Same here. I haven't seen anything yet that the plow boys couldn't clear off the roads. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!