iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rear back blade?

Started by WoodChucker, June 26, 2003, 07:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodChucker

Hey guys, which works better for grading, a rear back blade or a box blade?  Never used a box blade before, are they good for other things? Thanks!

R.T.
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

Tom

Tom's opinion.  

Box blades are the neatest implements since spoons.  You just can't beat them for leveling piles of dirt, dragging dirt a distance, digging shallow holes/ponds, pushing dirt, filling holes in an otherwise flat road, pushing logs, pushing stuck trucks and hauling trailers short distances (put a ball on top).

They can be tilted and used to assign a grade on a road, pull dirt from the ditch and hold down a pile of trash to keep the wind from blowing it around when you aren't using it. :D

Grader Blades (straight blades) have it going for them if you want to pull dirt from right to left such as you would do to put a crown on a road.  The corner can be used to dig a semblance of a ditch if you don't need much and the ground is soft.

I vote for the box blade for the general, behind-the-tractor implement. ;D

biziedizie

Me thinks that Tom just explained it perfectly. 8)
  I have found over the years that a box blade gets more use then a straight blade.
  Growing up on a farm we used the box blade all the time and the straight blade always looked pretty and new. :D

Steve

WoodChucker

Wow, thanks guys, I had no idea you could do all that with a box blade, guess that will be my next investment. Thanks again! :)

R.T.
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

D._Frederick

WoodChuck,
Tom is a 100% correct about the box scraper. I haven't found anything that the rear back blade really works good.
If you are going to buy one, get one that has the ripper on it, its great for packed conditions.

wiam

Does a Rear Back Blade go on the front? ::) ::)

WoodChucker

QuoteWoodChuck,
Tom is a 100% correct about the box scraper. I haven't found anything that the rear back blade really works good.
If you are going to buy one, get one that has the ripper on it, its great for packed conditions.

Ok thanks, can that ripper be disconected when you don't need it?  I would think so but I've only seen pictures of them and I'm not sure how they work.

R.T.

Larry

I like the box blades.  Most of them have adjustable depth ripper teeth so you can level out a place pretty fast.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Captain

The only thing I use the grading blade for anymore is moving snow  ::).

I would definately get a box scraper with scarifier teeth.  I recently purchased one to maintain my 750 foot driveway, it has never looked better and never have I completed the task so quickly.

Captain

woodhaven

The only thing I use my straight blade for is snow removel.
With a box blade you can clear land remove small trees. It works
good as a small bull dozer. They will do more work than a streight
blade can think about.
Richard

WoodChucker

Hey thanks again, you guys really got me pumped now, my wife has been looking over my shoulder all morning as I've been checking out box blades on the web. Every time I look at her she just says " you have enough toys" lol.  They just don't get it, do they? :)

Well I might as well ask now, what are some other implements that I just can't live without? I already have a back hoe, rear blade, front forks and loader. Am I missing anything? How handy are front plow blades? I don't really need a post hole digger because I just don't have a need for that many post right now. But if you guys have any suggestions please let me know! :)

R.T.

Norm

About the only thing else would be a mower to go on the 3pt hitch if you have a lot of land to mow. The blades on front aren't very useful unless you have quite a bit of horsepower to push with.

beenthere

Woodchucker
I plow snow with a front blade (7' Western plow) that I made a quick tach for, making it real quick to drop the plow and attach the front end loader (FEL).  I have a Deere 4300 and it handles snow very well. This front blade also does pretty good leveling dirt too.

One attachment I recently invested in was a 3pt quicktach (I-match if from Deere). It really makes changing 3pt attachments back and forth a breeze, especially the ballast box which was a bummer to align manually. Now I don't even have to get off the tractor, just flip the two locking handles, and drop 'em off. The rear cutter requires that I get off to hook up the PTO - trying to think of a way that this could be done without getting off but nothing brilliant comes to mind yet.

I have a 3pt rotary cutter, rear blade, carry-all, subsoiler tooth, and the ballast box. So far, I have not felt a need for a box blade, but it could be the next "toy" to add to the collection. I rent a Harley rake (powered rake) when I do lawn work. They are fantastic. I do the 600' gravel drive with my back blade (on the rear  ;D  ) when I get a fresh load of gravel and keep it smooth with the snow blade during the winter months when plowing snow.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Fla._Deadheader

Don'T Y'all get "cricks" in yer necks from workin Back'ards all the time??? :o :o ;D  I prefer to look where I'm goin, NOT where I been. :D :D :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

WoodChucker

Norm_F.

I have a brush hog, is that what your talking about? I use it to keep my trails open. I thought about using it to cut the grass around the house, I have a lot to cut but I think the tractor tires would tear it up to much, at least my old tractor would have, maybe this new one wouldn't.

beenthere, with that 7' Western snow plow, do you have to angle the blade by hand or does it work off the hydraulics? That would be a really great setup for me.  So they make a quick connect for the 3 point too? I gotta get out more. lol. thanks!

R.T.

beenthere

Woodchucker
The lift and the blade angle work off the loader hydraulics.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WoodChucker

QuoteWoodchucker
The lift and the blade angle work off the loader hydraulics.

Oh ok, so I take it what now controls the bucket tilt (not the lift)would control the left/right swing on the plow, right? Pretty cool!  Thanks!

R.T.

Norm

I use a mower that's kind of a cross between a brush hog and a grooming mower but if you want to make it look nice a grooming mower would be your best choice. I agree that most bar tires are hard on yards but if you keep it in 2wd instead of 4wd it helps a little. I mow about 10 acres of pasture to keep the weeds down so a little tearing isn't a big deal.

solidwoods

I vote box instead of plain blade .  Box will hold dirt (blade wont) , has teeth (adjustable), and has a blade on its back side for pushing (driving backwards).  Box is good to refresh a crush and run driveway,  teeth slightly down box 5deg fwd tilt.  A blade is good for cutting dirt to spread (the angled blade slicing action), but put the blade straight and the blade fills quick and the dirt runs off both ends.
JIM
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

OneWithWood

I have been using both blades for many years.  I would like to know if any of you have a quick and easy way to level uneven terrain.  It is hard to adjust the three point quick enough to overcome the changing angle of the tractor.  I usually can get the area levelled but it takes many passes - and yes I get a good kink in my neck ???
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

shopteacher

Fla,
  When your working in the dark all the time how do you know the difference of where your going and where you been? :D :D :D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Fla._Deadheader

Ya NEVER see a Dozer pullin dirt, do ya??? ;D ;D That's why the blade goes ahead of the tractor.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;) ;)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Fla._Deadheader

Ever see a dog chasin his tail??? That's US. :D :D
  I usually stay on the boat and maneuver it nearly over the diver. I get a pretty good idea of where the diver left an area not checked, so, I gather him up and we go back to the place he missed and we do it again. No other way, as there are deadfall trees, with limbs, trot-lines for crab traps, so a tether line won't work.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Larry

Kid dragging a chain down the road.  Old man sitting on his porch asked "why you pullin that chain boy".  Kid replies you ever try pushing one? :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!