iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Stump Ranch (Cabin Progress)

Started by jander3, September 17, 2008, 10:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jander3

Fitting up a new header log for rough notching. 

Here is the old one.

When I went to install the headers they were two inches too short.   What logs don't shrink in length?  The header logs bowed and warped when I had them stored on skids over the winter because I cut out the openings for the windows and doors in the header.  Big mistake.   

I am taking next weekend off to work on the cabin.   Hope to get started on the roof.

Stephen1

I never would have thought about the logs warping enough to affect there length. Do you take the log down to cut or do you cut it up on the wall? looking good!
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

jander3

Stephen1

On length:  I probably could have made the log work at the notch without much problem.  I hated to go with a new log since I have a day or so invested in the old one.   However, the lateral groove had areas with gaps of an inch or more, I just didn't think they would settle back in place.

On Cuttting:
Log up on the building - Fit up - Scribe rough notch
Log down - Cut rough notch
Log up on the building - Scribe notch and lateral groove
Log down - Cut notch and lateral groove
Log up on the building - Check final fit, install insullation, and roll into place

I know guys that cut on their buildings using small ladders or standing on the wall.  I generally work alone, so that approach seems a little hazardous.   I am hauling out some platform scaffold next week, this might allow me to cut the rough notch in place and eliminate moving the log off the building for that operation.  Final cutting will have to be on the ground, I don't want to be walking backwards  on 12" wide plank or log that is 15 feet off the ground with a chainsaw cutting the lateral goove.

jander3

I spent the weekend installing the last wall log.   After running into nothing but problems the last few trips out, it was nice to actually accomplish something.   I have both plate logs cut down, toted out of the woods, and ready for peeling, just need to find a ridge and we might actually have a roof before winter.

The Cap log is set up and ready for flattening with the Micro Mill and 97cc saw.

After flattening is complete the volume centerline is marked and transfered to the ends.   These marks are used with a plumb bob to set up the log for rough notching (to ensure the log stays centered over the foundation).

Notching completed, working on the lateral groove with an adze (I use my friend the 97 cc chain saw for the rough cuts).

Placing the Cap log, which is my last wall log, on the building.

A photo of the other Cap log.  These logs are flattened as they are on the gable end and will support the ridge post.  It is also a little easier to nail in framing material to a log that has a flat side.

beenthere

Good to see the progress, and for the update. Looks like an enjoyable weekend.

Are some of the leaves starting to turn and fall? Our walnut leaves are beginning to yellow up and fall.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Stephen1

If you have weather like us you will be lucky to get the roof on. Looks like great progress being made. It really is nice when things go as planned :D
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

jander3

The plate logs are installed and the ridge is cut.  I just need to cut some posts and a few mortises, then the roof should be ready to roll.  I have the roof materials coming next weekend and a few friends have agreed to help me install the roof at the end of the month.

The plate logs are installed.  I still need to install some temporary bracing under the ends of the plates until I have a chance to build the deck.

Peeling the ridge.  No matter what I try I have one speed for peeling...slow. An exercise in patience as you just can't make it go quick.

Cutting the flat for the gable end post.  I will put a mortise in this once I cut the post and tenon.

Sunrise at a pond just south of our property. 

I just purchased this trailer to haul materials because the strap everything to the top of the log arch method was foiled by a downhill, a stump, and gravity. This trail is a superhighway compared to the previous 3 miles of goat path.

The first signs of fall.

Don K

That is going to be a really nice cabin. Some beautiful country you have there.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

DWM II

Great update, its nice to see you making good progress on your cabin. Those last pictures show why the end result will be worth the effort.
Stewardship Counts!

jander3

Installing the Ridge Pole

My son was lined up to help me get the ridge installed on Friday.  However, again, I managed to over estimate the number of things we could accomplish in one day and because the sun sets about 7 pm these days, the work day is a couple hours short.  Anyway, we got everything test fitted before he had to leave.

So, I was on my own for getting the ridge installed on Saturday.  I set up a lifting shear, got all the pieces in place and worked at a deliberate and careful pace.  I set the ridge before lunch. After lunch I goofed off and walked property lines and got back to cabin work in the late afternoon. By dinner I had the center post rigged into place and everything braced.

Lifting shear made from a couple of Spruce poles and 1.5 ton chain hoist.  The shear is secured to a tree with a rope puller so that the shear can be adjusted forward and backward (like a boom).

Each gable post was secured to the ridge with a truck strap.  For good measure I put a deck screw through the joint between the post and ridge (it is not pegged).

Easing the ridge slowly into place.

Ridge is vertical and blocked under the posts so I could remove the truck strap before dropping the ridge into the final position.

Rigging the center post into an upright position. 

She is starting to look more like a cabin.   I have about 2 days of rafter cutting and roofing, should have her buttoned up by winter.

Don K

Good work. It takes an ingenius mind to accomplish big tasks by yourself.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

fishpharmer

Well done jander3.  An amazing solo accomplishment.  Be careful on top of that roof.  Don't want you to bump your noggin like Arkansawyer ;)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Don K

Jon, I just finished reading your entire blog. This has been quite an adventure for you. It will be worth it one fall morning when you descend from the loft, get a cup of coffee and sit out on your deck and enjoy the start of a day knowing you don't have to peel a log that day.  :)

Don

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

jander3

Don,

You read the whole blog?  Now that's an accomplishment.

Jon

Don K

Yep! Every bit in chronological order. I enjoyed it. I really laughed at the bear pooping in the woods. :D

Don

beenthere

I've read it too. And enjoyed the latest addition on the ridge setting.

Anxious for you to get the rafters set, and the roofing on this coming month.  8) 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jander3

Ah, the blog (www.peelinglogs.blogspot.com) reader count is up to 3 now.  Don, Beenthere, and I think my Mom has read it (well parts of it anyway).   Mostly, I record the info for my own amusement.  I did look back based on Don's comment and it is actually pretty amazing what a guy can get done in a year or two if he puts his mind to it.

Beenthere,

Rafters should go up next Wednesday, I already hauled in the roof materials, so the roof will be on by the end of October.  Ferns are dying off, colors are coming in nicely, and bullets are starting to fly.

Kobraken

reader count at 4.  i been lurking in the shadows and enjoying it as well.  My wife and i are going to do the same thing only on the grid.  I built my shop first and have been cutting lumber and flooring for the house with my sawmill.    My shop will be less than 100 ft from the house site so power isn't a problem and all the utilities are in. We live in a trailer on the other side of the property so distance isn't a problem either.  You are our inspiration, if you can overcome all your issues and accomplish what you have, then we should have no excuses. I check daily on this board and your blogspot,  Keep up the work and the updates.   Ken

jander3

Installing Rafters

Man, the weather has really been stinky.  Overcast, gray, rain, snow, cold, more rain, and more cold.   I just need a couple of dry days to finish up the roofing. If things work out as I plan, I will nail up the plywood and install the metal at the end of the week. 

We had a couple of inches of snow last week; that's crazy-business—the leaves are still on the trees.

The rafters are installed.  I put up 50 fourteen footers (2"x8"), spaced 16" on center, with 24" overhang. The rafters were installed so that I will have a 4' overhang on each gable end.

Using deck screws to install the rafters to the ridge pole while working from a couple of scaffold bucks.  That scaffold was a total pain to haul back to the cabin site, but it was certainly worth the heartache.

I nailed a couple of 2"x8"s to the top of the ridge after it was flattened.  That way I had a consistent measurement.  After figuring out the slope, I made up a template and cut all the rafters to length and then cut the bird's mouth before fit up to the ridge.   

Rafters are scribed to the plate log.  For this system to work, you have to start with the lowest point on the wall and when each rafter is fit up, you measure the distance from the tail to the floor; then, scribe the difference.  Before scribing, the bird's mouth has to to blocked up the required scribe distance. Then, the rafter is removed from the wall for cutting and chisel work. 

fishpharmer

Jander, you never cease to amaze me.  Nice.  I am confident you will get it dried in before its full of snow.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

bossltr

Yes, brilliant work, thanks for sharing, Jon. Mark that 5 full on "read your blog beginning to end." Fascinating, riveting, and totally real, man. If you don't mind I'll share your story with a link to your page and a couple of images with my family and friends. 
Brian 
Brian Rodgers
http://outfitnm.com My renewable energy website

Raider Bill

Better get your counter fixed I read it cover to cover a few weeks ago for the second time.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

nas

Very nice work!  Love the scribed rafters.  But... I have to say I have never been impressed with the strength of deck screws.  They have very little shear strength, and snap very easily.  Keep up the good work. 8)

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

jmmy6767

I am relatively new member.    I have enjoyed this website over, and over.   I have also been watching your progress.  Someday (soon I hope)  I will be stealing some of your ideas, to build my own place.   Keep up the good work,   I wish you the best.   jimmy
jimmy

Thank You Sponsors!