iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Earthquakes in Oklahoma

Started by GF, October 23, 2008, 03:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonhill

Warbird, those pictures remind me of the roads here in the spring as the frost goes out.  Well, maybe not quite that bad but close.       Tim 
This is a test, please stand by...

GF

Yes they are measuring the with the Richter scale, I think they are estimating the magnitude myself, it sounded like and explosiong went off and the bed shook like someone grabbed ahold of it and shook as hard as they could for a few seconds, this is the same thing people around the area felt and experienced.  Last night we did not have any large ones I hear a distant rumble but did not feel the house shake.  The ones yesterday morning they said were a 2.8 shook more than the one last week they said was a 3.4, could have been where the epicenter was located.  The epicenters are in all different locations but in a general 5 X 5 mile square area.

logwalker

GF, I would be leaving that $31 earth movement rider in place for years. That is such cheap insurance when you think about it. Do some research on the New Madrid quake. My understanding is that in some areas small quakes are good but can leave adjoining sections of the fault hanging until they let loose with a major. You were wise to get the insurance.
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

TexasTimbers

I'm with Warbird I did not know you could feel a 2.8 unless you were standing on top of it, and it was within a half mile  of the surface. I think the Oklahoma seismograph office is not used to having to actually read their equipment. ;)

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

GF

Quote from: TexasTimbers on October 29, 2008, 09:37:30 PM
I'm with Warbird I did not know you could feel a 2.8 unless you were standing on top of it, and it was within a half mile  of the surface. I think the Oklahoma seismograph office is not used to having to actually read their equipment. ;)

I agree, especially if they dont know how to update their own webpage with text information.  What is real interesting is it finally made it to the news, I had to prod them to release information to public, once they did two days ago hadnt felt the earth move since.  My opinion now is they knew what was causing them and was not telling, since it made it to the public so far in two days nothing not even a slight vibration, time will tell. 

GF

Guess I was wrong, had another at 11:26am this morning.  SHook pretty good and was load.

GF

When an earthquake occurs is it normal to be real loud?  Or does the loud sound mean you are close to the epicenter?  The one today along with some others were loud, while the house shook. 

Warbird

Based on this and other research I've read in the past, a 2.8 will not be felt in the ways you guys describe:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richter_magnitude_scale

Scroll down to the "Earthquake Effects" chart.

If it were me, I'd be asking some serious questions of city and state leaders.

Ianab

I think you must be getting some very shallow and locallised earth movement. You will feel and even hear a 2.8 if it's very close and near the surface. But a landslide, big explosion or even a large plane crash will generate a 2.8 shake.

The good news is that it's probably relieving tension in small stages.

It generally has to be over 5 to make the news here, and it takes about a 4 to even wake me up. ;)

Ian

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Residence of McAdam, NB. have felt several booms over the last several days. Officials say on Sunday morning a 2.4 earthquake was recorded. Residents have reported several tremors since. One resident thought it was his wood pile falling in the shed.

The city of Fredericton about 40 minutes away sits on an ancient fault line.

The University of Maine recorded it as well as natural Resources Canada.

It may possible be cryoseisms common at this time of year when frozen ground cracks and gives way.

CBC article
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!