iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Establishing a New Pine Plantation

Started by WDH, November 03, 2008, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ppine

This is the kind of forestry I have only seen in textbooks.  You have level, pretty fertile land and plenty of rain. It is easy to be envious.  On the other hand it is more like planting trees as a crop with mechanized equipment.

In the West, we plant trees by hand except under unusual circumstance. Most guys can do around 600 seedlings in a day or an acre. I have run planting crews of 30 men for a month at a time in the mountains. A very interesting kind of little society develops when people work and live together. We always looked forward to Fridays when we would head to an RV park for showers and then head for Flagstaff to the salad bar and dinner out. Then there was often some girl chasing.  In a month we could plant 1,000 acres, sometimes more.  For difficult ground we would use an auger on a chainsaw engine. 
Forester

SwampDonkey

Yes, most of the machine planting here is on private woodlots and that is due to Christmas tree farming on fields and government incentives to plant and also to develop equipment or tractor implements. Our public land and mill land here is all hand planted. Not much of our ground is very hilly, if it is steep high ground it probably isn't cut either if it's too rocky.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WH_Conley

Most all of the planted trees here were passed out by our Division of Forestry over the years. Back when I was a kid they were really pushing White Pine. When you went to a lumber yard that is what you got, or what it was called anyhow. No internet, no technical advice about forestry. We now have a bunch of trees that are too open grown to be anything but knots or too thick because they were planted to close together and never thinned. Threads like this one are really educational and should be required reading for anybody thinking about planting a seedling.
Bill

customsawyer

Y'all need to keep in mind that Danny is living right. First of all we was taking land that had been growing hay (fertilized) or hog farm (fertilized). We also had a educated customer (Danny) who knew the value of all of the steps in the process. He also got some of the very best seedlings. One of the most important things is that he got perfect rain behind each step of the establishment of this plantation. You have to have all of the sun, moon and stars line up perfectly to get some of these results. Or you can just go by Danny and all is well .  ;)
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Yes.  The land was prepared right.  The right trees were planted right.  The weed/grass control was right.  The weather was right. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

How did you get the weather just right? ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

When you eat grits,strange things happens.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Another view.  Note the powerline for perspective.

Very little light at the end of the tunnel.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

I posted in some other thread about how I don't see much of that in this area. The paper company,IP at the time,planted some up on top of the hill,only a few acres,maybe 10?
They sure do look good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Several acres here of red pine plantations on private land, not a lot on public land. Sometimes along the road side where the spruce would not take, it will catch up with the rest that survived. But the only use for it up here is poles, so it has to be growing for a long time in these parts to make a pole.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

PC-Urban-Sawyer

customsawyer

I didn't mean Him. I meant that he always seems to be in the right place at the right time kind of guy. You know the one that pulls up to a parking lot that is full just as a car is leaving from the parking spot that is closest to the door.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

SwampDonkey

Just like farming, as dad would say, there is a lot of luck involved.  ;D  :)  And ya got no moose to rip them pine up. :D

WDH

Luck, schmuck. 

So it is luck?  I guess that I must get lucky a lot  :D. 

Magicman

Folks that are continually lucky need to be watched.  :P  Could it be that they may contribute to their luck?  smiley_headscratch
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Luckier than me, the moose, the weevil and the blister rust did my white pine in pretty much. Planted 3500 white pine, might have 10 straight ones left, and dwindling every year. They are at random to and not rows.
:D

WDH

Quote from: Magicman on November 29, 2016, 08:41:43 AM
Folks that are continually lucky need to be watched.  :P  Could it be that they may contribute to their luck?  smiley_headscratch

Now, that is a novel concept for some  :)

WDH

The plantation had a visitor.  The trees are in their ninth growing season.  If you stack the visitor up on himself 5 or 6 times, you can see that the trees are between 30 and 40 feet tall.  When the stand height averages 40+ feet, they will be thinned, which will be in the next 3 years or so. 

This visitor is not lucky, he uses Magic, not luck  :D. 

nativewolf

Quote from: WDH on November 10, 2016, 10:02:24 AM
Update.  Here is the plantation after the 8th growing season.  Full crown closure.  Nothing but pine straw. 

In my opinion this is why much of the US can't get good prices for dimensional lumber logs, the fast southern plantation pine is so much easier to cut and process.  You can see miles and miles like this from Southern VA through the Carolinas, thru Georgia, N Florida and across to Alabama, Mississippi, and LA.  Even East TX.  If you are a logger it does not get much easier than this, cut and load and sell. 

Looks great and shows everyone what we're up against. 
Liking Walnut

Claybraker

Quote from: nativewolf on June 30, 2017, 03:54:33 PM
If you are a logger it does not get much easier than this, cut and load and sell. 

Looks great and shows everyone what we're up against.

It's not that easy being a logger down here. It's very capital intensive. Sometimes it's too wet to be in the woods, and sometimes you have equipment breakdowns.  Last summer I saw a grapple skidder operator with the windows open on his cab because his a/c wasn't working properly. The horror. The horror.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: nativewolf on June 30, 2017, 03:54:33 PM

In my opinion this is why much of the US can't get good prices for dimensional lumber logs, the fast southern plantation pine is so much easier to cut and process.  You can see miles and miles like this from Southern VA through the Carolinas, thru Georgia, N Florida and across to Alabama, Mississippi, and LA.  Even East TX. 

I don't know about being easy. But like the north here, it is not a scarce commodity (wood), so logs can be bought cheap. Not only that, but establishment and tending are subsidized by governments of many countries. And if not, you can not compete against the government purse. ;)

pappy19

You might consider your planting in a circle starting in the middle of the field and gradually make larger and larger circles. This makes for a much nicer looking plantation than one that looks like a row of corn.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

WDH

Not so much about how it looks but more as to the efficiency of the whole process.  It is in essence farming trees.  The trees are a crop, just like in agriculture.  Only with trees, it is called silviculture. 

nativewolf

Quote from: WDH on July 01, 2017, 07:49:17 PM
Not so much about how it looks but more as to the efficiency of the whole process.  It is in essence farming trees.  The trees are a crop, just like in agriculture.  Only with trees, it is called silviculture.

And the overall cost/harvest unit has to be about as low as it can go.  Processor will just go through that stuff, loading is all the same, hardly have to think, no worrying about crotch or anything.  No rocks, maybe some water issues once in a while.  Mostly though, wham bam and it's done. 
Liking Walnut

Thank You Sponsors!