iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hemlock

Started by york, November 20, 2008, 11:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

york

Hi all,

I am looking at a stand of Hemlock-located in southern ny...log roads are already there,no swamps,no big hills and the trees are worth getting....what should i offer for this stand????bert
Albert

Brian Beauchamp

Get an estimate of volume and a current product price from the mill to find what you will receive, then subtract your costs and desired profit from that amount...that will give you your bid price. Do you have an idea of any of these things yet?

Corley5

Beware of ring shake in hemlock  ;) :)  Trees that look really good on the outside may yield lumber that falls apart at the growth rings
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

york

well guys,
did not get much back on this-think i will offer 135.00 per thousand,international 1/4 scale...what do ya think..bert
Albert

Corley5

I have no idea what your markets are like out there but here hemlock stumpage wouldn't be much more than 20 bucks a cord.  Twenty five tops.  You're going to have a lot invested in it at 135.00 a thousand after you figure in harvesting, trucking and sawing.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

york

yes,the market for Hemlock and pine is very good here-some mills are getting .55 cents per bd/ft for 4/4...not bad and paying as high as 275/thousand bd/ft

bert
Albert

Ron Wenrich

What's the lowest price they are paying?  You're going to need to know some averages.  Are you going to mill this yourself or are you going to sell the logs?

Stumpage price = log value - logging costs - profit.  You have to do the figuring of what those values and costs are.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

It's usually left behind in the woods up here, but if the lot has a significant quantity and some decent quality they will buy tree length in Maine for around $88 a cord for pulp, or $97/cord stud wood. That's at Chester Forest Products in Lincoln, Maine. Max 24" butt, min 4" top.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

york

OK,guys thanks for your reply's-yes will cut,skid and mill meself-no trucking-huge landing,so can mill there-I know,hemlock gets left in the woods-they leave it there for us "woodchucks"  i love hemlock,it holds up forever...just keep it away from the dirt...
Albert

Thank You Sponsors!