iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

thinning Tom's

Started by Tom, December 08, 2008, 05:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsmike

I used the formula for 12 ft between rows and 10 ft between trees for 363 trees per acre if reduce it by 1/3  for the missing rows you get 242 trees per acre. I suspect that you would have one additional outside row which  you could add in if you know its length/10 but it would only apply to the outside row.
Mike

SwampDonkey

I think Marcel's and nsmike's is the only way you can compute it, because you can't get more than 363 trees in an acre at 12 x 10 foot spacing, and there is 1/3 less....

so 242 trees/acre

The way I computed it a while back was this.....

43560 ft2/acre        = 242 trees/acre
(12+6 ft) x (5 + 5 ft)
            tree

It just seems so low. Too bad Tom, I tried to get you more trees. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

Why not just do a 100% tree count and then you will know with some accuracy. ;)
~Ron

SwampDonkey

For sure, eh? :D

I know when we do sample plots we always think in terms of crown space of the trees being spaced or planted and how many of those growing spaces can we fit inside a sample plot and ultimately how many in  a unit of area, hectares or acres. I know that a ha is 10000 m2 and we use a sample plot size of 40 m2, which is 1/250th of a ha. If I have an average of 8 in my plot I have 2000 trees/ha, if I have 10 I have 2500 trees/ha. 2500 or 2m x 2m or (6.5 feet apart) is the ultimate spacing when thinning and planting softwood. 1.82m (6 foot) for hardwood or 3000 trees/ha.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

242 trees per acre is a gracious plenty for slash.  Too dense and they will stagnate.  They are much more persnickity than loblolly.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

semologger

I am just takeing 10th acre plots. I stand in the row i just took out and make a circle. 37 feet to the outside ring. I just count my trees in the circle so i know my basel area. I have my eye down now on thinning so i am not takeing many plots. I need to take out every other tree in each row. So if i have a row missing alot of trees I will leave a few heavy on the other row. That way i can keep my trees per acre up.

Thank You Sponsors!