iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WI snow

Started by semologger, December 23, 2008, 10:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

One side of the barn roof was in snow most of last winter and windows sealed up solid with snow until April. The piece with the most snow also drifts bad from the fields, comes in under the spruce bows and lays there. Nothing I could do about it.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Warbird

Quote from: Jeff on December 25, 2008, 10:27:14 PM
Yer goona have ta blame those on some good natured Buffoon that could carry a tune, rhyme a rhyme and had a little rhythm who now is long since dead from a show shoveling induced heart attack.

LOL LOL

Hey Jeff, wise move getting that snow off the roof before the rain.  Do you have any concerns about all of that snow right up against the foundation of your house?  What kind of foundation do you have and how is the grade of the land?  As the snow melts, will it drain away from the house?

Oh about clearing that snow from around the windows...  be real careful wielding the shovel near the glass.  Yes, I'm speaking from experience! ;)  Sorry about your back/hip.  I've got a bad back and shoveling of the magnitude you are doing would likely have me walkin' with a cane for a week.  Hope you and Tammy had a wonderful Christmas.

Jeff

The house is bermed and everything falls away from the house.  Not much more I can do at this point.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Warbird

Sounds like you are in good shape, then.  Whoever built my house didn't grade the land properly, so I have to remove the snow on the uphill side.  While I do love the snow, seeing your pictures and hearing all these stories is making me think that there is a limit to how much would be good.

Raider Bill

Quote from: stonebroke on December 26, 2008, 09:53:13 AM
You look like the Tug Hill does most winters.

Stonebroke
That's were my brother lives.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Texas Ranger

Two words, global warming.

72 as I type, but it is raining. ;D
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Raider Bill

My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Warbird

SwampDonkey

I won't see a ripe apple until next August. Some of ya's got nothing to blat about. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Raider Bill

Ruby Red Grapefruit, won't be ripe till next month.

Picked my last Tangarines yesterday. Got banannas almost ready as long as the snow holds off here.

stonebroke

raider bill, Your brother has my sympathy.

Stonebroke

Raider Bill

I never will understand why anyone would buy/build there.

I grew up just south of Tug Hill and that was bad enough.

isawlogs

Those are looking really good Raider  :)   Now where in tarnatiuon is Tug Hill ....  ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Lots of areas in Quebec and NB like that, eh Marcel? ;D They ain't never been up to Lac St Jean in the winter.  Or the Graham Plains. :D

isawlogs

Oh , just a few , I have worked at places like that ... in the midle of nowhere and no how to get out .  ::)     Just looking at the map and from what I see , there aint no way in hell you going to get me to go and pass a winter there to see what type of lake effect one could be experiencing over the cold months ... Nope , I am going to sit here and wait for DanG to come up and help out with the little snow I get . Right Dan , your on your way , right  :)   I will supply a long handled shovel cause i know you is fairly tall and can reach quite high when you stretch them arms up . ( no need for loader to get snow out of the way ,)   8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ironwood

Tug hill is AMAZING. It is just high enough to SQUEEZE all the moisture from the air coming off the east end of Lake Ontario. It is a phenomenon. There is a ton of BIG snow throwers on just about every farm.

In my area of SW Pa. you see very little old (1800's or early 1900's) homes in "stupid" places, places where there is poor weather, high wind areas and the like. Out of necessity the folks just avoided those areas as it was already hard enough to scrape out an exsistance. Today if there is an opeen lot and it's cheap, there is a home, regardless of topography, geology, or meterology. It is common, if you look for for it round these parts and likely in other parts of the country where there is issues of topography that can dictate weather. I once worked for a client at their second home about 40 miles away, it is on the Allegheny Front west of Bedford Pa., there are no old homes up there, GOD AWFUL weather, I'd leave 70 degrees and sunny , to find 45 and cloudy, and drizzle. I feel like the folks that bought property in this second home area (Folmont, I call it foulmount ) got "snookered".  The subtle topgraphy here can make weak fronts hang for hours and hours, bigger mountains would kill the front, no mountains, it goes right thru. Very interesting

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

stonebroke

Up in the tug hill there is a town I think Redfield that thought it set a national 24hr snowfall record of 100inches a few years ago, Turns out they took hourly readings and added them together whereas they should of left it all alone for 24hrs and then measured it. No matter what 100 inches in 24hrs is a lot of snow. And this goes on from nov. to april.

Stonebroke

PineNut

I saw some of our Mississippi snow today. Now that is my kind of snow.

Raider Bill

stonebroke

Makes for great snowmobiling.

Stonebroke

Burlkraft

The way the snow is meltin' here, we'll have daffodils soon also  ;D  ;D  ;D

If ya could see 'um through the thick fog  ::)  ::)  ::)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Tom

The bit of time I spent around Lake Michigan, during the winter, lead me to believe that the worse of winter was the end of January and February.  If that's the case, we might not hear from you folks in a few days for a couple of months.  :P :-\

stonebroke

There are gas stations in the tug hill that have massive storage tanks and get fill them in the fall. For the snowmobilers. They can't get in with a truck for four or five months.

Stonebroke

Raider Bill

Telephone repair men have to dig down to their wires instead of climb up to them.

Thank You Sponsors!