iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM Open House at ARKY'S

Started by ARKANSAWYER, February 12, 2009, 07:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKANSAWYER

WoodMizer is doing an Open House at ARKANSAWYER SAWMILL Inc.  Date right now looks like March 14, 2009.  When I know for certain I will post it and put it in the calender.
  This will be a good chance for folks to come and snoop around a real pecker wood operation.  Snakes should not be out that early in the year so I will have to watch some of my wood piles.
  So if you need a reason to get out or a peek at a new mill then come on down.  We are not hard to find (Furby has been here  ;D).  Mountian Home is 20 miles east and Harrison is 25 miles west and it is about 70 miles to Branson MO.  The Worlds best trout fishing is just 6 miles from here and spring should be popping then.

ARKANSAWYER

scsmith42

Arky, if I was closer I'd definitely stop by.  One of these years I'd like to come out and volunteer to work free for a week just to be able to learn from you.

Best of success with the open house.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

LeeB

Unless I have an unforseen schedule change, I'll be home for this one. Count on me being there.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

okie

If I aint workin I'll probably hop across the line.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

stumpy

I won't be down for that, but I will be in Mountain Home in June.  Got a cabin rented at "Fish and Fiddle resort" Maybe I can stop in for a visit.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

ARKANSAWYER

OK it is on WM web site as March 14.  I think they want you to call and RSVP so they know about how many will need feeding and if there is something you want to see for sure.

Stumpy You just come on over when you come down.
ARKANSAWYER

Larry

I'll try to make it over your way.  I might even have all my limbs picked up by then.

Who do I call to make sure WM has a box of bands for me?  Will?

Speaking of trout they had a shad kill on the Rock and the trout are going crazy below the dam.  Catch em on a white jig bout every cast from what I hear. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ARKANSAWYER

Yea call Will up at Mt Vernon and he will put some in his truck for you.  Most of the time he has some but often people buy him out like down in Little Rock last year.  I let one guy have a box of mine.
  Big Browns are hitting good here when the water is running.  They are done spawning and kind of thin.  Few more weeks of shad kills and they will fatten up.  New law now and they have to be 24 inches to keep one.
  That's good! you can help with my limbs.  You been needing to come over any way.
ARKANSAWYER

oakiemac

What are those icicle looking things hanging from you sign? That can't be real ice down in Ar-kansas can it? I admire your talent in making them out of glass and they look so real ;D
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

asy

Hey Arky,

I'm with Oakie!!  I LOVE the tinsel you have hanging on your sign, it's VERY festive...  But you know Christmas has passed, you really should be taking it down about now...   :P

Have a great time being misers of wood, won't you.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Bibbyman

I'm sure Mary would be packed and ready to go but it's going to be a tough choice to make. 

There is an open house in Perkinston, MS on February 28.  I just got through looking at all the pictures DonK posted from the WM Anniversary tour and the trees are green and people are walking around in short sleeve shirts on February 24.  I'd sure like to see that place.

Pictures of the WM Ann. tour in Perkinston, Ms.

Then there is a WM open house in Madisonville, KY on March 28 and then there is the open house in Mt. Vernon coming up in April 18.  And then the Midwest Forest Industry show in Cape Girardeau, MO in late June. 

Looks like we go nine months of the year with no shows or events within reasonable driving distance and then all of them are bunched up in the spring months.:-\
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ARKANSAWYER

Looks like James and I are going to kill the fatted hog and roast it for the lunch at the Open House.  SO  PIGGY ROAST SOUTH!   8)  8)  8)  8)
ARKANSAWYER

semologger

I will sure be trying to make it there. Sounds like fun. Were do i sign up. What do i need to bring?

ARKANSAWYER

I think WM wants you to call them and RSVP so they can have an estimate of how many.  We will have plenty of room and pig but may run out of coleslaw.  Bring wife, kids, Pa or any one who might like to mess with sawing or logging.  It will be a good time.   My wife is having a Sawyers Wives Support Group to help provide counseling.
ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman

We were helping WM with a show in Columbia, MO one November when a guy was talking with Will Baugh about a mill, etc.   The wife sidled up to Mary and made the comment, "I guess your husband has an idea about getting a mill too."  Mary replied,  "We already have two mills."  The lady kind of looked at Mary and faded back. So I guess some wives are too far gone for support.   ::)

On a more serious note,  I have made the comment to Wood-Mizer before that it would be nice to have some activity for the kids – lawn darts maybe?   ;D

Maybe Renee can bring out some of her crochet stuff?  Got any local chainsaw artists or primitive furniture makers?
Sawing since '94

ARKANSAWYER

Been trying toget Renee' to bring her spinning wheel and some books that she has stuff published in.  She could do book signings and help teach people to spin.  I have been trying to get her to spin the bark off of cedar logs.  Then she could weave it and make mats and such.  She is to busy with wool and alpaca to mess with cedar bark.  Got plenty, but Nope!
  There will be plenty to do.
ARKANSAWYER

littlechub

sounds like a good time, if nothing happens i would like to stop by and watch for a while. might even bring my father in law if he will behave himself ;D

Bro. Noble

Welcome, littlechub :)  I'm north of you just over the state line.

You will spend your time well at arky's ------best thing a new miller can do is visit other mills and see how they do things.  Meeting other forum members is also a great experience.  I wish I were able to get out and around more.  I havn't seen David's new mill or location,  but I was impressed when I was able to visit his old set-up.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

ARKANSAWYER

Littlechub just come on up the river.  It is not that far and with all the high water will be easy motoring.  ;D  This might be more of an operation of how not to do it.  When I traveled with my mill I used to saw 7 or 8 times a year in Calico Rock.  Some pretty country there.

Bro Noble just put them stupid cows out to pasture and come on down after morning miliking.  Visit a spell and eat some piggy then head back up for evening miliking.  It is just over 80 miles from the mill to the farm and gas was $1.65 this morning.
ARKANSAWYER

semologger

welcome aboard lilchub. I sold some trees there in calico to the post company. Seemed like pretty nice guys. Nice operation.

littlechub

thanks for the welcome guys. i grew up in southeast missouri only about 20 miles from semologger. my moms family was all from doniphan area. worked in several mills growing up most all were big circle mills and one had a woodmizer that looked like it was 50 years old. i was always impressed by that old mill and always wanted one as it was ran 2 shifts only being shutdown long enough to shovel dust and gas it back up. im in the process of buying a used bandmill for personal use here on the farm and ive been away from them a long time so the trip to arkansawyers would be a great learning experience.

Bibbyman

http://ozarksfirst.com/media_player.php?media_id=30126

You know,  it's good to go to a Wood-Mizer open house at one of their many facilities or see them at a forestry show,  but it's kind of unique that you'll be able to see the range of mill products demoed plus be able to see Arky's operation.   I've been there and seen it.  There are surely ideas you will gain from seeing a working mill operation that you would see at a forestry show.

Mary and I have an eye on the date.  We just got to see if we can break away.
Sawing since '94

semologger

i have a friend thats very interested in buying a bandmill. He will be there.

Im looking forward to going.

ARKANSAWYER

Somebody better come as I am not cleaning up this mess for nothing.
ARKANSAWYER

semologger

Are ya needing some help? My wife is real good at cleaning up after me. She has been gone for a week and just got back. It was a mad dash last night for me to get the house halfway picked up.

LeeB

I must be a glutton fo rpunishment. I'm gonig over Friday to help set up and for sure will be there Saturday.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

semologger

what time is the gates open?

ARKANSAWYER

The Open House starts at 9 am and eatting piggy about 11:30.  I am around here just about all the time it seems.   Most likly I will be here about 8 making coffee and relaxing because if it is not done by then it will be to late.
ARKANSAWYER

littlechub

talked with the freind im buying my mill from and he is also selling his other mill to buy a new mill. he is planning to come to the show saturday, reckon we will see yall there 8)

Bibbyman

Chances are improving that Mary and I may attend.    8)

We kind of got our work caught up. :-\
Sawing since '94

ARKANSAWYER

Well this is shapping up like a Piggy Roast South.  The pig is about to eat his last meal and become his first.  ;D

I have to get another coat of finish on the cedar bench that I am giving away for a Door Prize.

ARKANSAWYER

LeeB

We might all need another coat on. Are you gonna roast the piggy on an open fire?

Larry

Door Prize...WOW!!!!

Will is bringing me some new bands...7 degree hook...think that is a new one.

Dug out my long johns so I can survive the 50's forecast for Saturday and comfortably consume a massive amount of piggy. :) :) :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

WDH

There will be DanG to pay if there are not numerous pictures :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

RMay

Sam and I will be headed up Saturday morning if there is no ice on the roads ;D
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Bibbyman

I just checked the Weather.com radar for Flippin and there are sure a lot of pretty colors over that area right now! 

Is it all going to blow out by Saturday?
Sawing since '94

ARKANSAWYER

Most of the snow was south of here, and what we did get is gone. Looks like temp is going to be in the 50's on Saturday. Bibby said if it's cold, we can always burn the slab pile! The smoker is here and the piggy will be sacrificed in the morning! We will take plenty of pics for posting.
;D
ARKANSAWYER

Don K

Howdy RMay! Ain't seen much of you since Sawlex. Ask Sam if he is about ready for some more ice cream. ;) ;D

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Bibbyman

Looks like all the rain/ice/show is out of Arkyland area.   8)
Sawing since '94

DWM II

Yall have fun and make sure to get the most out of the piggies sacrifice. Looking forward to some good stories and pictures! 8)
Stewardship Counts!

WDH

I bet the pig will be cooking soon if not already ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Larry

I'm ready to head out bright and early.  One comment...I input Arkies address into my GPS to get time and distance.  When I put in Flippin it came back and said "Your kidding right"...I hate it when machines back talk me. :o

Radar67

Quote from: WDH on March 13, 2009, 06:02:00 PM
I bet the pig will be cooking soon if not already ;D.

Well, they are having pig, but tomorrow me and Don K are having catfish, and it is ready for the cooker right now.  :D
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

littlechub

im sure looking forward to tomorrow and meeting everyone. drove by there today on my way to yellville on a service call and it looked like a beehive  ;D seen a big ole cooker parked out front but it mustve been one of them new smokeless cookers cause i sure couldnt see any smoke coming out of it. went on and done my service call and on the way back there was a woodmizer truck pulled in the drive with some kinda ugly orange thing dragging behind it ;D

ARKANSAWYER

Here's the piggy cooker and LBJ has been quality checking all day!!! Molly has been her understudy. Woodmizer has got things all set up. Bibbyman, Prosawyer Mary & LeeB have all checked in!
ARKANSAWYER

fishpharmer

I would have liked to go on up to your place for the event, Arkansawyer.  I was in Lonoke just Wednesday getting a load of fish.  Had to get back to MS. 

Thats a serious looking cooker. 

Maybe next time.  Looks like its gonna be a big time.   8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

DR Buck

Ya'll have a good time and post lots of pictures.    Hope to see everyone at SAWLEX in May. :)
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

LeeB

That big ole cooker is quite full of pig. James is gonna tend to it through the night. Between all of us and the WM guys, we set everything up for the open house tommorow. Looking forward to the fun and my mouth is watering for the pig meat.

ARKANSAWYER

Mrs. Arky sends everyone warm bbq wishes! James is pulling the piggy and getting it ready to eat. Yum!

Here Dave Mann demonstrates one of those wonderful orange machines.

Even Prosawyer Mary and her gdaughter Alex are lending a helping hand...thanks, gals!!!
ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

Here is Les Neff. He is showing Mary how to glue up a lock miter joint to make a "dump box"

The WoodMizer banners were flying high!!! Sorry this is the first post since this morning...I have been busy dishing up Tater Salad!
ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

LBJ wants to know...is that Piggy ready yet??????
ARKANSAWYER

breederman

Looks like people are having fun. Hope you have a big crowd.
Together we got this !

ARKANSAWYER

This is Les Neff, demonstrating how to use his portable router table to cut a lock miter with a router.

Here we have a beautiful example of what the LatheMizer can do! Pretty cedar, huh?

Dave Mann of WoodMizer demos a manual mill for the guys.

Another view of cedar turned on the LatheMizer.

Some of Arky's famous benches....Mary won one that was given as a doorprize. WTG, Prosawyer Mary!
ARKANSAWYER

DR Buck

I wonderin' how Wanda is handling all those bright clean new orange machines in her backyard.  ;)

littlechub

wanda had a nice dry place out of the weather to watch the show from, while those bright clean new machines sat out in the rain and got manhandled by passerbys ;D

LeeB

Wanda got to sport the lathe mizer so she were'nt too lonesome.

semologger

Had a good time guys. Glad i was able to go. I think the kids had more fun playing in the sawdust pile. ;D.

I stoped and looked at a homemade band mill on the way home at a guys house. It was a manual mill He made It wasnt much at all. So i called him I asked him how much and he said 5 grand. I said 5 grand! He got mad. I said i no disrepect to ya but seems a little high. He gave me a long speack and before i could say anything back he hung up on me. If i was going to spend that much it sure isnt going to be a homemade one.

DR Buck

Quote from: semologger on March 14, 2009, 10:48:53 PM
Had a good time guys. Glad i was able to go. I think the kids had more fun playing in the sawdust pile. ;D.

I stoped and looked at a homemade band mill on the way home at a guys house. It was a manual mill He made It wasnt much at all. So i called him I asked him how much and he said 5 grand. I said 5 grand! He got mad. I said i no disrepect to ya but seems a little high. He gave me a long speack and before i could say anything back he hung up on me. If i was going to spend that much it sure isnt going to be a homemade one.

I think $5K just about buys a shiny new LT-15.

semologger

After coming from arkys i just had to laugh. As mad as he got at me im glad i called him instead of asking him face to face. He said he made 5 last year. I never got the chance to tell him about the woodmizers i just looked at. Seems like i have Things like this just waiting for me all the time.

Arky i didnt ask ya if you was selling to go bags of that piggy it tasted great.

LeeB

The pig was good, wasn't it?  food6

Bibbyman

We got down to Arky's about 1:30 on Friday and helped with some of the setup. 

Mary helping Brooke to walk on stilts Arky made for her.

Will Baugh of WM Mt. Vernon takes stilts away from Alex and Booke.  Brooke telling Grandma on him.

LT28 being demoed by Will.   Greg Baire pulling slabs and Dave Mann telling all about it.   I'd say there were about 50 people there at any one time and maybe 100 came in total.

New LT28 going to a new home at end of show.  An LT10 found a new home also.

Mary won the grand door prize of the cedar bench Arky made. Here Arky signs the prize for Mary.

It's amazing how much Dave Mann has shrunk over the years. He's hardly taller than Alex now!
Sawing since '94

Larry

Good food and good company made for a great day. 8) 8)

On top of that I even learned a new trick or two. :P

Thanks to all the folks involved that put the shindig on...I know it required lotsa hard work. :)

ARKANSAWYER

WHAT a PARTY!    8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)

It was a lot of work and I am very Greatful to LeeB and Mary & Bibbyman for helping out.  James did a great job cooking and for sure worth every dime.  He was a big help for sure.  My wife and Jame's wife did a great job helping with the food and serving.  They were good to have around.  So a BIG THANK YOU TO THEM ALL.     
     I kinds of know how Jeff feels after a Piggy Roast.  Lots and Lots of work and little details.
  Wished I could have spent more time with the FF members put there was just so much going on.
ARKANSAWYER

sparks

For those near Madisonville, KY we have another show on March 28th. See Wood-Mizer sponser page for details.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Bibbyman

Arky,

The girls are sure enjoying that bench!  I put it in front of the stove where the three "knot heads", son, Alex and Brooke set to soak up the heat and watch TV.  But it migrated over to in front of the futon.  It sets in front and center of the TV and perpendicular to it.  The girls use it as a table – being high enough for them to set on the floor and eat.  Then Brooke takes a pillow and uses it like a day-bed to watch TV.  She also uses it for working on her craft projects. She spent a couple of hours yesterday on it watching the movie Bean with me and playing with her Play-Doh. 
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!