The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: I would like a little input  (Read 5942 times)

Offline Dodgy Loner

• Forester
  • It's an anagram for "dendrology" and in no way a reflection of my personality
    • Share Post
    • My Blog: A Riving Home
Re: I would like a little input
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 09:47:02 AM »
I'm afraid I can't offer much advice about investment strategies, but I did want to say that I'm surprised at all the reports of falling land prices around the country.  It's still in the neighborhood of 30-50K for small tracts here, 10-20K for large acreages :-[.  Sounds like I need to buy some land in DanG's neighborhood ;).
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Offline Dana

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green Leaf Farms
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 09:52:23 AM »
Lots of land up here and not selling. It seem's to bounce from agent to agent and each time the price is reduced.
My niece just bought a house that sold for $209,000. a few years ago for $109000. it was purchased from the bank this time.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2009, 10:05:09 AM »
I know one speculator into the real estate business that bought up timber lands from a company that went out of business. I was with a fellow looking at the land on aerial photos and there was no timber left on the 1000's of acres for sale except riparian and camp lots. That was 4 years ago. He is calling himself Grey Rapids Lumber Company and now lists his land as Grey Rapids Nature Preserve since it is adjacent to protected Public Forests. It doesn't look like he sold anything yet. As I recall it's along the Renous river watershed.  If JDI didn't buy it, it can't be worth too much.
Move'n on.

Offline ID4ster

• Forester
  • Good thing that foresters are a different breed.
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2009, 11:51:24 AM »
Well it depends on how much risk you want to take with your investment. As others have noted simply buying the timber or cutting rights is highly risky in a volitile or declining market. Making sure that you own the land underneath it gives you some better options. Work with your forester and purchase timberland that can grow trees at a good rate (given proper management of course) and you'll proably find that the real rate of return will surprise you. Timber that you can hold is a good investment since you can hold it for a better market. But like any investment you'll have to do your research. There is also some timber investment software that you can use to determine if a particular tract is a good one to purchase. It takes into consideration the productivity of the ground, transportation distances, types of mills available, the area where you're growing the timber, etc. If you're interested in something like that give me a personal message and I can fill you in on the details. I don't have anything to do with the software I just know who developed it and where to get it.   
Bob Hassoldt
Seven Ridges Forestry
Kendrick, Idaho
Want to improve your woodlot the fastest way? Start thinning, believe me it needs it.

Offline Woodhog

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 07:36:54 PM »
Dont forget about the risk of losing your investment some warm windy summer afternoon.

Also with woodland investments I am starting to worry about climate change.

There seem to be more pests surviving the winter and using the woods for 1st class dining
facilities around here.

Also more timber is being blown down in land that is shallow rooted, as there seem to be more violent wind storms going thru.

Offline timberfaller390

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2009, 08:35:17 AM »
I know several old timers that made their fortunes in land and cattle speculation coming out of the depression. Maybe we'll be seeing some good opertunities to make some money as we come out of this depression(they still are not calling it that but get real) Of course around here bootlegging always helped to suplement their farm income.  ;D
Appalachian Hardwoods Lumber and Logging Co.
Peavine Valley Farms
Three Notch Forge Farrier Service
Stihl MS390
John Deere 5103
58 IHC A-162 log truck
70 Ford F600 log truck
75 Ford F750 equipment hauler
IHC 500 dozer
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Offline John Woodworth

• Share Post
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2009, 06:42:38 PM »
Be careful and check the enviornmental side of things around any waterfront of stream frontage, the enviornmentst  like to dictate policy and you could be stuck with part of the property you can't touch.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Offline Ironwood

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
    • http://www.branchandburl.com
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009, 07:35:46 PM »
Good input John, I hadn't thought of that.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Offline Chico

• Share Post
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2009, 08:24:07 AM »
IF i were to do it I would buy in appalachian and norhern reigions unless I found a very good stand of cypress and I would really look at quality more than stem count  Good logs will almost always sell I would also check around to see if there had been any insect infestations of any regularity and Also remember doesn't matter when you sell it location will be a factor also  I would look more toward White oak red oak walnut and ash also cherry  God luck 
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Looking for some input

Started by summerboy1958 on Chainsaws

19 Replies
Last post June 26, 2015, 09:12:01 PM
by Ianab
question
Need Your Input

Started by jwhuntman on Forestry and Logging

8 Replies
Last post November 16, 2011, 10:27:56 PM
by jwhuntman