iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The new mower

Started by DanG, February 26, 2009, 01:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IMERC

Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

IMERC

Quote from: ADAMINMO on February 26, 2009, 02:48:21 PM
They even put a 1-800 number on there in case you need help mowin the lawn. 8) That was nice of them. People will do about anything to make a sale! :D
does that mean they are encouraging to drive and be on the cell at the same time...

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: IMERC on February 27, 2009, 10:42:29 PM
does that mean they are encouraging to drive and be on the cell at the same time...

Only if you have the hands free device activated.

Radar67

And the beverage is properly stored in the provided holder.  ;)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

DanG

I really prishate all you folks' concern for my safety, but them fine folks at Sears and Rearbacks has already got me covered.  They put a little switch under the seat so's I can't accidentally hike a leg up and let a fart without the engine shutting down.  I'm sure glad they did that!  They even put this little foot pedal down there that I can push if I need to stop and take a swig of bottled spring water.  While this is a fine and well tuned machine, it does make a bit of noise, and there is some vibration, so I ain't all that confident that I will be taking a lot of phone calls while mowing.  If, however, I should feel my pocket shaking, or hear a bar or two of Sousa's "Stars and Stripes Forever", I'll be sure to poke that pedal and grab my phone.  It will probably just be that odd twitch in my leg, or one of the crickets in my head just getting lucky, though. :-\ ::)

IMERC, I'm really glad you liked the filter.  I was worried about that. ;)

wi woodcutter, you didn't really buy a Kohler, did you? :o :o  Oh Lordy, I ain't ever had nothing but trouble with those!  I'm sorry I wasn't there to keep you out of trouble!  Hell, you would have been just about as well off with a DanG ol' John Deere!  If ya get in a tight and need somebody to cut yer grass, just give me a holler. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jodi

Quote from: Radar67 on February 27, 2009, 10:45:44 PM
And the beverage is properly stored in the provided holder.  ;)

:D

wi woodcutter

"If ya get in a tight and need somebody to cut yer grass, just give me a holler."

DanG you would be more than welcome to come up here and cut my grass. :) :) You could cut it in forward or reverse which ever works best for you.  Maybe you could also bring that Judge pistol along and take care of that Kohler for me. :D
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

Left Coast Chris

Funny thing about brands.  I remember how I had so much trouble with AOL in the early years of the internet and switched to a local provider.  I had to use the AOL support person so much I finally demanded that he discontinue my service (since they had no way to do it on line that I could figure out) and he kept trying to get me to change my mind.  What a hastle.  AOL became my bad brand.

Funny thing about mowers though, our neighbor has 3 irrigated acres that needs alot of mowing so decided they would pay a little more and get a Cub Cadet.   She had to take it back for fixes under warranty several times then when it went out of warrenty she asked if I could fix it.  It kept throwing belts.  The idler pully on the deck just had poor bearings and kept repeating the problem.  She was mad because the guy accross the street had a smaller Craftsman that had no problems for years and did a great job.   I know alot of people that have had very good luck with the Craftsmans.  My wife wants one but needs the bagger basket.  Not many models have one and you don't see many people use them.   The design, with the basket in the rear looks like it would clog.  Any experiences?
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

sawguy21

Clogging would likely not be a problem in your climate but certainly is an issue here on the wet coast. The grass needs to be dry and short for it to work effectively.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tom

I like clogging.   We don't have any groups around here, but I see one now and again on TV.  What is the Lawnmower clog?

IMERC

Quote from: Tom on February 28, 2009, 01:55:38 PM
I like clogging.   We don't have any groups around here, but I see one now and again on TV.  What is the Lawnmower clog?

by product of dirty fuel and no fuel filter...

Left Coast Chris

Remember the plunger Jeff keeps on hand when Burlcraft comes over?  Thats the type of clogging that can be very undesirable.   :o >:(

Tom,  maybe you could post a pic and we could check out your situation there.  It sounds pretty destructive to have people assemble in groups to cause clogging.  Although, if you like it.......hey who are we to judge.... :) ::)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Tom

Yeah Man.  It's real rhythm.  Rattlin' valves and dieselin' pistons should make a real knee slapper. ;D
smiley_singsongnote01
Hot sun beating down
burning my feet just walking around.

Hot sun making me sweat
'Gators getting close, hasn't got me yet

I can't dance, I can't talk.
The only thing about me is the way I walk.
I can't dance, I can't sing
I'm just standing here selling everything.
smiley_singsongnote02

Polly

i just rembered , wife has got front tine rototiller with a briggs engine i bought it used probly 10 yrs ago at times i think she thinks more of it , then me  ;) :)

DanG

My ol' tlller has finally bit the dust, and it was the Briggs engine that gave it up.  I bought it in '94 for $250 and worked it hard for 14 years on spring and fall gardens.  It didn't owe me a thing!  The tines were worn down so bad it would hardly dig anymore.  It was one of those engines that would start on the second pull after sitting for 3 months.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

Well looks like you got a nice mower there. Personally, I have never had a B/S die, not that I've owned any for any longer than going on 12 years. Dad had a couple for potato trucks when unloading seed in the fields, they musta been 30 years old when he sold them. My push mower is a B/S, be 12 years old this summer. I know some people that can't keep a mower going for more than 3 or 4 years. They leave it out so it's constantly rained on and 6 feet of snow in the winter, never clean the deck or sharpen a blade. Last year I put a new blade and a new lower handle (comes in 2 sections) on the old girl, just like brand new. ;D The old diesel Kabota mower has been run'n now for 25 years, getting hard to keep belts on the old girl because the pulleys have gotten bad and you can't buy a new deck now for that model. Stuff wears out eh? The motor however runs like the energizer bunny. I'll tell ya though, the steel in the mower deck is a lot more rugged than mowers you'll buy these days.  That thing has mowed rough hay fields and pasture, well that's all lawns are up here in the back country. Sure ain't much manicuring to them. 8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

fishpharmer

Nice mower Mr. Dan G

my mill has briggs.
8) 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Left Coast Chris

Keeping up with DanG:

Dan, I have to apologize........ the grass was getting a little over the ankles and my kids usually mow.....the kids are in college so now they don't mow....... I work in the orchard on bigger projects so I usually don't mow...... my wife took a look at the push mower and said she was not going to push that thing all over the yard....

We went to Sears today and the best value for a good solid mower was the LT2000, 17.5 HP I/C engine, 42" deck, silver, reverse mowing switch, automatic shutoff when you get up off of the seat.    Looks identical to yours.   Good looking machine.

The harry part was unloading if from the pickup (4WD).  I borrowed some ramps and had to back down the ramps from the bead of the pickup.  It was pretty steep.  I could not get it into true neutral so that it would roll without the engine on.  The gear shifter was in neutral and without starting it it would not roll backwards.  Probably another safety feature.   Had to start it and drive it in reverse down the ramps.    It made it after blocking up the ends of the ramps so the deck would not hang up at the angle point at the edge of the tail gate.    On a positive note, anythine I have to navigate from now on will be duck soup.  :) :D

Thanks for leading the way on FF mower selection.  Next time you are in Sears you should be able to claim a commision.  :) 8)

DanG

Good for you Chris! 8) 8)  You do need to check on that neutral problem though.  It should roll easily when the shifter is in neutral.  I unloaded mine by just pulling it back with one hand while the other was on the steering wheel.  You sure the brake wasn't locked?

Go ahead and pick up a set of Gator blades for it when you get a chance.  The original blades ain't worth a fart in a hurricane.  The Gators will last ten times longer.  I went through 3 sets of Sears blades in the first year with my old one.  Bought Gator blades midway through the second year and only replaced them once in the remaining 9 years of service.

Another problem I had was the discharge was clogging when cutting heavy grass.  I solved that by drilling a small hole in the edge of the rubber discharge guard, and attaching a bungee cord to it.  I clipped the other end around the steering column so it held the guard up a few inches, and it solved the problem.

Left Coast Chris

Dan,  good info on the Gator blades.  As soon as these dull I will pick some up.  The wife also wants to add the roller ball wheels on each side of the deck for even mowing.  I also bought the front bumper.  Learned the body damage lesson on my Massey Fergeson 135 around all these orchard trees with teenage drivers (ouch).

The neutral question is interesting.  No matter what we do it will not freely roll in neutral.   It has to be started and put in gear to move.  It does not move in neutral while running.  It does not move in neutral while the engine is off either.  Here is the mystery:  The guys at the Sears warehouse freely wheeled it onto the loading dock and into the pickup so........ we just have not fugured it out I guess. :) ::)

jerry-m

Sticking out of the sheet metal at the very back of the mower close to the trailer hitch... There is a rod
sticking out of the sheet meal that you pull out and move into a slot  in the sheet metal to disingage what ever keeps it in  gear ... At least that is how mine works... Should be something similar ...

Jerry
Jerry

Don K

Chris, if it is a hydrostatic drive it should have a little doglegged lever on the back  above the little trailer hitch. Pull it out and down until it catches on a little flange. This will allow you to move it freely. Just be sure to disengage it when you are ready to stomp the gas.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

thecfarm

I use to have a teacher that would say,"If all else fails,read the directions".
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

trapper

are these the gator blades in Baileys new catalog?
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

DanG

Gator is a brand name.  I would think that would be them.  They are about half-again as thick as the Sears blades, and made of much better steel.

Thank You Sponsors!