The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Why are there more smaller Band Mill operators here then circle mill?  (Read 6878 times)

Offline TexasTimbers

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Dovetail Spline Jig
Re: Why are there more smaller Band Mill operators here then circle mill?
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2009, 03:17:55 PM »
Meadows I am proud of you. You are using much more discretion. At this rate your smiley affliction will be relatively under control within the year.

I'm not saying you'll ever be able to make a smiley-free post,  but I predict a day when you'll be able to have a word-to-smiley ration of approximately 10 to 1, compared to the 1:1 ratio you started with when you joined. ;D  ;) :)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Offline Meadows Miller

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Find a Job You Love & You Will Never Work Another Day In Your Life
  • The Walkabout Sawyer
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2009, 08:14:37 PM »
Gday

TTs im trying Mate  ;) :D :D ive done a few with without any  so im on my way  ;) :D
I just see it as a way of showing how i feel at the time  ;) ;D

Anyway hows the project on the old circ you got going ??? ;) ;D have you got anything done on it yet as I reckon it would tidy up into a Nice sawmill Mate  ;) ;D 8) 8)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Offline woodhick

• I hope it don't clear off cloudy and come a dry drizzle!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2009, 11:02:00 PM »
I started out some 25 years ago (at the age of 19) with a Frick 01 circle mill with a 60" blade.  Kept mill on the family farm and usually went there by myself to saw with no one else around.  When my wife got pregnant with our first I decided to sell the mill.   Now I will add here that she NEVER  mentioned me getting rid of it but I could see the fear anytime I went to the farm, and I did not want her to go through that.   I went about 1 1/2 years without a mill and got the DT's.  We were young and I did not have the money to buy a mill so I built  a woodmizer clone.  Used that mill for several years and leased it out to a local timber framer which had me going through the dt's again without one so I bought a woodmizer LT40 and added hydraulics to it myself.   recently sold the homemade mill and still have the woodmizer.    Would I like to have another circle mill ???  Yeah but like the protabiltiy option of the woodmizer.  Since I am a one person operation I dont forsee me purchasing anonther circle mill, however a band mill can't  come close the the feel of a well tuned circle mill humming along.   Just my thoughts.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Offline moonhill

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2009, 08:25:52 AM »
I may be on the opposite spectrum of the smiley face problem Meadows Miller suffers under.  I have a similar number of post and have only use them once or twice.   :)  Now 3 times.  He also brought up the length factor.  My reason for a band mill is the unlimited length of track, weather you are cutting long lengths or multiple pieces, I love my long track.  It is a self contained unit, no overhead cables or chain drives.  Two hydraulic motors and small tires pressing against the track side.  I could ride it to Bangor if the track was long enough.   

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Offline Meadows Miller

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Find a Job You Love & You Will Never Work Another Day In Your Life
  • The Walkabout Sawyer
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2009, 09:07:05 AM »
Gday

Tim I also suffer from Speed reading which caused me alot of dramas in school  ;)and on the comp i can galse over smaller posts and understand them  no worrys but i might have to reread afew of the Larger ones tho as i can lose paragraps w/o understanding them fully  ;) I have to read most tech books by placing a blank page undr the line im reading to get a full understanding than just an overview   ;) Must be why i like breaking things up alittle Mate  ;) :D :D :D ;D ;)

The longest i cut was about 45' i think but we started out at 40' and there where a few extra feet added a few times over the years to go Just  a Little longer so it coud be more like 48 to 50' dont know as id have to go and measure afew ridge beams in houses dad & I built over the years  ;)  :D ;D 8)

Thats the main reason for me getting the Woodcraft 30-20 A hyd that and the fact ive wanted one Since I saw the first one when i was 8  ;) :D :D 8) 8)

and if you have a mill that will saw 24' you will sure enough have someone ask can you just go alittle longer and its better to have a mill that will do it easy than pushing one too as ive dine that one toomany times in the past  ;) ;D 8)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Offline rpg52

• Full Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2009, 02:47:24 PM »
Wish I could compare the two, here's my $0.02.  As a future hobby sawyer, I've spent the last 3 years building my Belsaw.   :o

Still not finished (it's ready to saw, but there are NO safety features yet!).  Since I really want the sawdust (to mulch my 25 ac. of timberland), that isn't the issue. 

Wish now I'd just bought a bandsaw, at least then I would have been learning to saw instead of sharpening my engineering, layout and welding skills for the last 3 years.  Not that I regret it but I think the costs will be roughly the same by the time I finish.   ::)

Oh well, can't stop now, just wish it were finished so I could use it on the various logs before they turn to mush.  Still looking forward to making some sawdust, maybe by this Summer?  One can hope.   ;D

Ray
Belsaw circle mill, in progress.

Offline TexasTimbers

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Dovetail Spline Jig
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2009, 03:18:06 PM »
Gday

TTs im trying Mate  ;) :D :D ive done a few with without any  so im on my way  ;) :D
I just see it as a way of showing how i feel at the time  ;) ;D

Anyway hows the project on the old circ you got going ??? ;) ;D have you got anything done on it yet as I reckon it would tidy up into a Nice sawmill Mate  ;) ;D 8) 8)

Reguards Chris

Funny you should ask Mate. I decided long ago not to set either of them up. Then I decided to set them both up at the same time, using the little tie mill as a top saw. Then I decided to sell them. I took a deposit from a fellow and never heard from him again. My attempts to reach him over the past couple years were unfruitful so I finally gave up.

So why did I say "Funny you should ask?" Because I have been talking with a fellow in Georgia recently who built a hybrid. He mounted a homemade powerhead turning a 23' bandsaw blade on a big forklift mast to raise and lower it, and uses his track for the circle mill he used to run, to run the logs through the stationery bandmill portion.  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Those dancing men were for you Mate. ;D :D

So maybe I will use at least the track and carriage of the big circle mill after all. You never know about me, because I usually don't even have a clue what i may or may not do next.

Glad you took the smiley comments like I meant them. I must admit it was distractive to me at first, but now, I am not sure I would want you to change it. I wouldn't like everyone doing it but it sort of belongs to you as a trademark now so I think you ought to just keep doing what you are doing. It's part of what makes you who you are. ;)

P.S. The "Mate" thing is not hard for me to use. If you spent anytime here you would notice most American men would have soome trepidation in using that term toward each other. We think of our "mates" as the woman beside us in bed (most of is anyway  :o)

I was in the USCG and "Mate" is the term you are required to use when addressing one of your fellow recruits, so even to this day it's no big deal for me to use the term with a Brit or Aussie. I do not believe any of the other US armed services use that term though. :)

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
circle or band mill

Started by jdw on Sawmills and Milling

4 Replies
Last post March 29, 2015, 08:25:25 AM
by Magicman
xx
Circle saw edger mounted on to a portable band mill

Started by woodbowl on Sawmills and Milling

12 Replies
Last post September 03, 2005, 09:55:36 AM
by Percy
xx
HM126 band blade set and maybe switch to circle mill

Started by mitchstockdale on Sawmills and Milling

40 Replies
Last post August 14, 2019, 02:17:52 PM
by RAYAR
question
Chainsaw, Band or Circle Mill? Buy Build or Swap?

Started by Dangerous_Dan on Sawmills and Milling

19 Replies
Last post January 04, 2005, 09:49:30 AM
by doublecutusa