iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bits for a James Swan boring machine

Started by JanPaul, March 09, 2009, 09:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JanPaul

Just joined this forum and, first off, want to thank everyone for the goldmine of timberframing information posted over the years. Plenty of reading to catch up on!

Does anyone have a line on where I can find boring machine bits? Picked up a James Swan boring machine in a flea market recently up here in Ontario. The machine is in great shape, but I'm looking for a 2" and a 1 1/2 bit for it. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave Shepard

Member Jim_Rogers has many boring machine bits for sale. I've gotten several from him, and they are all good working bits. He also has chisels, slicks, and other timber framing tools for sale.

Welcome to the Forum.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

JanPaul

That's great, Dave. I'll follow up with Jim Rogers.
This forum is remarkable  --  I feel like a kid in a candy store!

Thanks,

Jan

Piston

here is his link in case your looking.....
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,3531.0.html
many of us on here have bought tools from Jim and i have only heard great things.....i had him and his partner restore a couple old chisels my elderly neighbor gave me....they came out amazing! 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Jim_Rogers

Jan-Paul:
I sent you an email to begin discussing your purchase.

Piston:
Thanks for the link.

To everyone, thanks your kind comments about our tools.....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

jander3

I purchased a boring machine and bits from Jim and his partner.  I was very pleased with the quality of the machine.  

moonhill

Same here.    A Boss, it is now one of my top two machines.  And for the 1-1/2" bits try a new one in most wood working tool supply outfits.   The only problem is adapting it to the 1/2" chuck.  Be creative.  The nice thing with the old ones is the slip right in and around it goes.  The newer ones do cut a cleaner hole, they have a different cutters.  I have not seen any new 2'" bits, it is a shame.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Jim_Rogers

I have a new 1 1/2" bit and extension for sale, it is listed on the for sale list and there should be pictures of it in the gallery.

I went to the place that sells these bits and took a boring machine (a Millers Falls machine) to test the bit and extension to see if it would "chuck up" and spin true and it did.

Here are some pictures of this:

Now, I can't promise you that these will work in every boring machine, but they worked just great in this machine.

The triple spur bit cut the dry white pine timber like it was butter, no effort to bore the holes at all.

My partner, Tom, tried it in some hardwood and say it cut ok, but not great.

I have this set for sale, and I can get others if anyone is interested.

Jim Rogers

moonhill

Jim,  how long is that bit, the auger part?   And what do the cutters look like?

Tim

Jim_Rogers

I'll have to measure it to be sure....

Jim Rogers

Raphael

I can see why it's less than ideal for hardwoods.
Do they manufacture it in 2"?
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

moonhill

Looks like a rugged bit.  I am wondering how easily it sharpens.  2"?

Tim

Jim_Rogers

>:( Sorry 2" is not available....

I asked him about sharpening, and of course he being a salesman, said that after you've bored a thousand holes or so, you would just buy another bit......

Jim Rogers

moonhill

Jim I don't use these much but this is the result of the last post,  :o :D :D :D.  I really laughed, a good chuckle.

Tim

Thank You Sponsors!