iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

help with bowl turning

Started by Dana, March 13, 2009, 01:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

turningfool

my best friend peewee(my dog of 17 years) died sunday morning..sure do miss the little guy..incorporated the quilted maple hollow form shown earlier on here and made a tiger stripe maple cover for it,its blonde..like he was

Dana

T.F. sorry to hear about your dog. We lost ours a couple years ago and just got another last fall.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

DR Buck

Some day in the near future I plan on trying to fasten a chunk of wood to a motor and spin the crapola out of it and stick a cutting tool into it.  :D :D

One of the things I have never done is turn something on a lathe.   My new shop is almost done.  (I'll post pictures and start a new thread when it is ready.)   I bought a 36" lathe about 10 years ago at an auction.  It's been up on the rafters of my old shop (storage building) since it came home.  I've even purchased a set of gouges to use with it.  They're still in the box that they were shipped in.  ::)     I know nothing of using a lathe.  I guess I'll be buying a few books and posting questions here.   

I'm still having emotional issues with spinning wood.   ;)  Not as much when considering using a regular lathe compared to the Wood-Mizer  'LatheMizer'.   I still can't figure out how anyone thought it was a good idea to put a log on a sawmill, spin it real fast and then run your blade into it.   :D :D :D      Should I  pick up an old football helmet to wear?  :D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

tyb525

DR the thought of sticking a saw blade into a spinning piece of wood is also hard for me to comprehend. ???
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

CHARLIE

DR_Buck, once I started woodturning, all my other woodworking suffered 'cause turning wood is so much fun.  The best thing youi can do is join a woodturning club in your area. They'll help you with the basics and more. It's best to learn from people with experience than to read a book and try it.  Once you get the basics down, books and DVDs are good.
I can't guarantee it but if you tell me your city, I might be able to tell you of a club nearby. 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

beenthere

QuoteI still can't figure out how anyone thought it was a good idea to put a log on a sawmill, spin it real fast and then run your blade into it.   

Quotethe thought of sticking a saw blade into a spinning piece of wood is also hard for me to comprehend

Me thinks that is not a good description of how WM does it.  :) :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DR Buck

Quote from: beenthere on April 02, 2009, 11:58:26 PM
QuoteI still can't figure out how anyone thought it was a good idea to put a log on a sawmill, spin it real fast and then run your blade into it.   

Quotethe thought of sticking a saw blade into a spinning piece of wood is also hard for me to comprehend

Me thinks that is not a good description of how WM does it.  :) :) :)

Don't get me wrong.  I think the 'LatheMizer' is way cool.   8)    I want one and am more likely to use it than a regular lathe.  I just have trouble understanding how the guy that tried it first came up with the idea and why he thought it wise to do.  ???
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Burlkraft

I did a little flinchin' when I used mine the first time  :o  :o

But it actually works good and is fun once ya get used to it.  ;D  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

metalspinner

QuoteI just have trouble understanding how the guy that tried it first came up with the idea and why he thought it wise to do. 

That's one of those "Ah Ha!" moments that i live for.  I bet the fella that thought of that was laying in bed at 2AM and woke his wife up to tell her. :D  then got the  ::) ::) and a "very nice , Dear."
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Dana

Thanks to all of you who helped me with this. I turned this small burl a few weeks ago. 

CHARLIE

Dana, you did a fine job with that burl.  I like the way you left the outside natural. It sure has some pretty grain on the inside.  How did you finish the bottom?  Nice job! 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Dana

Quote from: CHARLIE on April 21, 2009, 11:13:37 PM
Dana,  How did you finish the bottom?  Nice job! 8)
I started out by mounting the faceplate on what would become the inside of the bowl. Turned it just enough to have a flat area for the remounting of the faceplate. I only used the one center screw with the faceplate and didn't bother hiding that screw hole.

Patty

Wow, you did an excellent job Dana. The bowl is beautiful! What kind of wood is the burl?
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Dana

Patty, It's soft maple, thanks for the compliment.

Thank You Sponsors!