iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mountain lions in Missouri

Started by Bibbyman, August 12, 2003, 05:38:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz-sawyer

Bibby this cat was called to a tree stand ...out west....I know this guy from a predator calling forum...he said everone and his brother has been using him and his pick for B.S on the net....but I did see your pics of the cat yall had!
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Bibbyman

Thanks B.S...  

Stover, Mo. is not that far away and if it'd happened,  it would have been big news.  I've got contacts in the MO. Dept of Conservaton that I'll also get the story from.

T'is a one big cat!  :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Ron Scott

That's the biggest "cat" I've ever seen. Yesterday's local newspaper had an article about cougar sightings in our local area again.

I'm regularly in the woods areas mentioned, but have never seen any nor signs of one. May be surprised one of these days.
~Ron

Buzz-sawyer

When he skinned it it was streching to the 4th largest on record (green) but after it dried it fellout of contention...but man that is a beaty...he said , that he didnt hear it comming in the dark as he sat there all night at the carcase of a goat that it had killed and dragged of...he said the hair was standing on his neck when he realized how close it had gotten to him.....
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

9shooter

I read an artical in Countryside and Small Stock Jjournal this past month where a guy who lives in the Osark's says a 40 year old female relative of his was killed by a mountain lion while staying with he and his wife. Interesting to me was the denials they have run into with the authorities. I know there have been mountian lions in the Western U.P. Michigan for years. I have not seen them myself, but my father-in-law and brother-in-law have seen them several times. The D.N.R. denied their existance for a long time until this past year or so. 3 years ago I talked to a neighbor up there who saw one cross his back field. He called the D.N.R and reported it and they denied it was a lmountain lion, claiming it was probably a large ferral cat. He told them "good, I'll shoot that vermin next time I see it". He said "you should have heard the back peddleing on the phone. They didn't know how to get out of that lie".  They also offered to a local guy who raises sheep to "replace the value of any sheep predated by coyotes". Funny they should be suddenly concerned about his sheep. His reply,  "No thanks, I'll just shoot them and plant them along with that mountain lion thats been hanging around here". They got real excited about that and talked about "fines and going to jail". Gee, It's not like it's any big secret, why don't they just admit what they know. I supose if they had a hand in planting these cats, there might be room for lawsuits or at least public outcry should people become cat food. Personally, I like seeing wildlife, but should a bear or coon or coyote come half steppin around my place and posing a threat.... well I guess he might get lead posioning. ;)
Earth First! We'll log the other planet's later!

Buzz-sawyer

"I supose if they had a hand in planting these cats, there might be room for lawsuits or at least public outcry should people become cat food"
It is the same all over(entire country) they covertly introduce and deny existence....
also the animals have always traveled extensive routes through the U.S along natural barriers ..which still give uninterupted cover (along Missisipi river bluffs)

Lions have been hit by cars and sighted to the tune of 600 individual sightings and still they deny thier existence....but are swift to punish for killings...
It really blows my MIND ...same with wolves and elk....very untruthful behavior!!!!!!
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Norm

They do the same here, usually it's the line that it is one that got loose from someone raising them illegally.

Seems someone hit a cougar with a car in SE Iowa this fall. That got the news going and suddenly people were seeing them everywhere.

We get the occasional moose from up north too. Boy would one of those fill the freezer. ;D

Bibbyman

I picked up my trail cam pictures today.   I got a lot of coons, deer and coyotes.   This blurry picture makes me think it may be a mountain lion.  From the distance,  it's not nearly as big as an adult doe but bigger than a fawn this time of year.  The neck looks too short.  And the inside of the forleg is not white as would be if it was a deer.   It was right on the deer trail from the woods to the milo field they have been working on?   

What do you think?
Sawing since '94

beenthere

I think it is a large fawn.  Legs don't seem right for lion.  But suppose it could be.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

I agree. Not compact enough for a cat.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ron Scott

~Ron

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bibbyman

Here's a good fawn picture.   I think you can even make out its eye lashes.
Sawing since '94

drobertson

Looks like a deer to me as well,  but we all know the cats are nearby!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Delawhere Jack

Not so sure about it being a deer. Look at the front leg closest to the camera....
DanG. Look at it and think deer, and you see a deer, think cat and you see a cat....
Find any prints?

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Daver

Something didn't look right about that big mtn lion pic.. looked too big..  the fawn pic is just that a fawn.. legs look way too skinny for a cat..
"Remember, amateurs made the ark, professionals built the Titanic."

terry f

I say this each time, but, how are they not there? There are a lot in Eastern Oregon, and there is no where near the cover or food (deer) you have. I'm not saying you want them, I just don't see how they aren't everywhere out there.

Daver

I have heard of reports even in NJ.. But no one seems to get a photo.. I think these cats are smart they stay hidden..
"Remember, amateurs made the ark, professionals built the Titanic."

beenthere

terry f
They just aren't.  Around, but not many IMO

Can't be just the food source.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

OneWithWood

Big cats have been documented in Southern Indiana at NWSC Crane in Green county.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

mesquite buckeye

The face is too long, the legs too long and skinny for a long tailed cat. ;D

BTW- Good to see you around Bibbyman. I hadn't seen any of your posts lately. 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Bibbyman

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on August 18, 2014, 10:57:22 AM
The face is too long, the legs too long and skinny for a long tailed cat. ;D

BTW- Good to see you around Bibbyman. I hadn't seen any of your posts lately. 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

I don't post as much as I use to.  Not nearly the need with so many others available to answer the questions just as well if not better.   But I'm around.   I check in on the Forum most every day and sometimes a couple of times a day if there's something going on that I'm tracking.

BTW,  neighbor about a mile south of us lost two large calves to something that killed and eat on them.  I suspect most likely a pack of stray dowgs . . . but maybe not.
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

I walked up to the mail box a couple of weeks back.  It's a half mile from our house and sets in front of my parrent's house that is empty at this time.  Something in the tall fescue behind their house caught my eye.  At first I thought it was a really big Redbone hound. But it whirled around and bounded of out of sight in a blink of an eye.  I sware it had a long large tail.  Way too long and full to be that of a hound.  I'm not sure what I saw. Maybe a mountain lion.  Does tend to have and hide out their fawns in that patch of fescue.

Two things have changed. We are seeing far fewer deer and I've not seen any coyotes or heard them.    I normally get pictures of up to 7 coons at one time on my trail cams along with foxes and possums.   I'm getting only one coon at a time the last few times I've changed out memory cared.  There is one doe with a singe fawn that has been on camera and a young buck in velvet.

I'm not sure if it's just some trend or there is really a mountain lion working the area.
Sawing since '94

WV Sawmiller

Bibbyman,

Thx for gracing us with your presence. Good to hear from you once in a while.

As to the Mountain lion wiping out coyotes and such I believe I'd rather have the cat than the coyotes. I'm surprised he hasn't shown up on you trail cam. Maybe he will soon and you can post an update with his smiling face. Maybe he will be gnawing on the hind leg of a coyote.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!