iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can you get a better marketing deal than this? And help the FF?

Started by Brucer, April 24, 2009, 10:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

Yep, still number one 8)
I sell a lot of Hickory because I think that anyone who searchs for Hickory I pop up because of the business name. I have been working on re-doing the site a little and will be contacting you Jeff in the near future.

Brucer-congradulations and good luck with the business.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Brucer

I figured I'd bring this back to the top, because ...

Last month I received an e-mail via the web page Jeff built for me. Someone had specifically gone looking for timber-frame related sites in my region and found me :) :)!

Turns out the guy was a salesman for a business publication. He wanted me to buy advertising space in their magazine >:( >:(. They were doing a special on timber-framers.

But ya know, it doesn't matter who was looking. They found me right quick, because aside from some slightly erratic behaviour with Google the first week, my site's been right near the top of the first page whenever you go looking for timber or timber-frame suppliers in my region.

I wasn't expecting a whole lot of business from the site this year. We've been hit hard by the downturn and most of my work has been by word-of-mouth through the local contractor network. But there's been a shakeup in the timber-frame industry here-abouts and a lot of businesses are gone now. When things pick up people are going to have to start looking for new suppliers and my site will be sitting out there to grab them.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

crtreedude

Guess who is number one for Tropical hardwood furniture ? And I definitely know that it is due to being linked with The Forestry Forum.

Without a doubt, the money we pay is the best bang for the buck we have.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Smokey

Just reading and I checked out the website you made(had made), looks grate but there is one little spelling mistake that needs to be fixed, on the left column it says"On-line Conact Form" instead of "Contact". Other than that I was impressed with the site.

Also if your searching from out side the Country of origin, you may want to put the country in as well. British Columbia is a Country on it's own right and a province in Canada. Might make a difference in the search.

Cheers!
Smokey

Reality is just a figment of my Hallucination

Brucer

Quote from: Smokey on February 19, 2010, 01:31:02 PM
Just reading and I checked out the website you made(had made), looks grate but there is one little spelling mistake that needs to be fixed, on the left column it says"On-line Conact Form" instead of "Contact".

It does? Well, if it did, Jeff went and fixed it between your post and this one.

British Columbia is a Country on it's own right ...

News to me  ??? ???.

Horselog

Quote from: oakiemac on April 29, 2009, 08:53:18 PM
Yep, still number one 8)
I sell a lot of Hickory because I think that anyone who searchs for Hickory I pop up because of the business name. I have been working on re-doing the site a little and will be contacting you Jeff in the near future.

Brucer-congradulations and good luck with the business.

Where and for what application do you sell lots of hickory?
Benjamin Harris
Appalachian Mountains of Virginia
horse_logger@me.com

Jeff

We have a new member helping to support the forum by using the shameless commerce links on the front page of the Forestry Forum.

Thanks to pnyberg and CT Logs To Lumber, LLC   :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Brucer

I tried to think what I might go looking for:

"portable sawmills connecticut" -- #2 from top on Google.
"lumber sawing services connecticut" -- #6 from top on Google.

Not bad at all. From experience, use the same search words over the next few weeks and see if it changes.

Mooseherder

I wonder how many people get past 2 pages of Google when they're searching?
The 1st page is the place to be. :)

r.man

Mooseherder, I very often scroll through 2 or 3 pages on a search unless I am looking for a particular site. I also will jump a few pages or go to the last to see how the pages are changing if I haven't found the site I want. Tends to be a lot of crap on the first page as well with sites that take your keywords and incorporate them into their site name. That annoys me a lot. I have started to look at the title and then the address to see if they match, otherwise I end up on sites that just list business addresses and such. Some days google is my friend and some days it is my bane.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

DouginUtah

This is going off on a bit of a tangent, but there has been discussion about "pages".

I believe Google defaults to 10 items per page. This can be changed.

Click on Settings (upper right) then click on Search Settings. Go down to Google Instant and check  the "Do not use Google Instant" radio button. Then go up to Number of Results | Display _____results per page and set the pull-down to 50.

You will now see 50 links instead of just 10 on each "page".

I'm just providing information--not trying to convince anyone they need to do this.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Jeff

That's cool on the user end, but not of much use for the guy wanting his web link to be seen by as many people as possible. 99% of people are not going to adjust the number of returns per page on a browser. They just don't do it. I don't.  I want to see what most everyone else sees.

DouginUtah

You see the same thing, you just see more before you have to click on to page 2.
-Doug

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Jeff

If I am trying to research where a website is listing on a page, I want to see exactly what most everyone else is seeing.  I don't want to have to count the entries to figure out if it was on page one or page three of a default setting. :)

Doc Hickory

Good lookin' web page you done got yourself there, Brucer!  What do the ads say-'a business with no sign is a sign of no business'? The trusty ol' World Wide Web is today's sign.  When I get the pieces of my little wood milling orchestra assembled my plan is to do some advertising, and I think your post just showed me who to speak with about it.  There is so much competition for the business that's out there that one can't afford to NOT advertise.  If someone did invent a better mousetrap the world couldn't beat a path to their door because the world doesn't know where that door is located or what goes on behind it.  I'm sure you've made the smart move and look forward to hearing news of business that comes your way as a result. Now, go out there and kill something and drag it back home!
Feed a fire, starve a termite...

Jeff

The Power of the Forestry Forum's ability to get a member's business listed so fast in google still amazes. This week we did one for member Peter Drouin's Sanbornton Construction who did not have any presence on the web.  We gave him an address under www.forestryforum.com  and  put a simple web page together.  I uploaded the page, and listed it under our shameless commerce links.  Not two hours later he was coming up on the first page of google for multiple searches.

I won't give you the link, but if you need to find a [lmgtfy]portable sawmill in New Hampshire[/lmgtfy], I bet you can find him.  :)

Even a search like: [lmgtfy]wood mizer in nh[/lmgtfy]  puts him at the front of the pack in this short of time. 

Brucer

Nice web page.

It's getting close to 3 years now, and my page still shows up near the top of Google with no tweaking. Jeff, I'll be in touch shortly about renewing for another year.

timerover51

Quote from: Brucer on February 13, 2011, 03:04:37 PM
Nice web page.

It's getting close to 3 years now, and my page still shows up near the top of Google with no tweaking. Jeff, I'll be in touch shortly about renewing for another year.

How do you fair when you use Yahoo as the search engine?

Mooseherder

Who uses Yahoo?
Just kidding.  I use Yahoo as my homepage.
Basically same results as GOOOOOGle. ;)

Jeff

In this current age of search engines it is a foolish use of time trying to please any other search engine. Yahoo included. If you do the things you should do to make google happy, then the others will fall in line. If they don't, SO WHAT? The trade off of your time and efforts is simply not worth the return.

Search Engine Market Shares

DouginUtah

I recently investigated and discovered that Google in Canada does not give the same results as Google in US.
Whereas a search word in US puts my web site as number 1, in Canada I am number 17. 8)
-Doug

---

Jeff

Doug, Google on your computer will not give you the same return as google on your computer. ;)  Same as other search engines.  Delete all of your history, cookies, and temp internet files and you will get different results.

A way you can test on how different your returns are is with one of the little icons here in your forum posting box called our "Let be google that for you tags"

Search for something in google the way you usually do, then search for something on google using the the let me google that for you service and see what the difference is.

beenthere

Google knows your zip code, so it will be biased to that area (which is prolly helpful if searching to have local hits).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Google probably does not know your zipcode, but it knows the I.P. address from which the call for data comes from and what the zipcode may be for that.

Woodchuck53

Thanks guys. As always in the ways of computers you guys amaze me. I learn something about the business of wood things and other neat stuff everyday. I now know a little more about web pages and who to call. Thanks again for all the info. I will be a calling.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Thank You Sponsors!