The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: how much of my junk trees should I clear  (Read 6967 times)

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
Re: how much of my junk trees should I clear
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2009, 07:25:33 PM »
The Woodlot Management Handbook  mentioned above is recommended reading.  Woodland Stewardship, A Practical Guide For Midwestern Landowners is also worth reading.
~Ron

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2009, 04:46:01 AM »
If you take your fire wood down to 2 inches and cut up want is left so the branches does not hold it up off the ground,it will break down pretty quick,3-4 years.I saw any branches up quite a few times to get them to lay on the ground.Like I may cut down a small fir tree.I saw off all the limbs off from it so the bare trunk will lay on the ground and rot quicker.Wild life like brush piles too,by the way.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2009, 06:05:20 AM »
I've been in 10 year old pre-commercial thinning sites and the brush and stumps are all gone. Looks like a mess when it's first cut, but it soon disappears.
Move'n on.

Offline Ron Wenrich

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2009, 07:03:13 AM »
One of the problems with your area of Delaware is the soil.  I believe you're on a lot of sand in that area.  The quality of tree you can grow gets to be limited.  You may be able to grow hardwoods, but the quality is lacking.  That's one of the reasons they did those stand conversions on Rt 113. 

But, you can surely grow hardwoods, if that's your intent.  Most likely, all the native pines have been stripped out of the woods a long time ago.  What was left over were the hardwoods.  People stopped burning firewood and some of the farmland was allowed to revert back to woods.  Hardwoods became more dominant. 

As for tops, cut the firewood off that you want and cut the tops so that you can see over them.  Contracts in my area usually say to leave them no higher than 4'.  Cut the limbs so they lay closer to the forest floor.  They'll be mostly gone in a couple of years.  It is beneficial to adding nutrients to your soil, and it will also help protect young seedlings from being eaten by deer. 

Forestry laws are a way for non-professionals telling professionals how to do their business.  Guidelines are one thing, laws are something else.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Offline dtody

• Back into sawing!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2009, 10:51:53 PM »
After reading this, I've got a lot of work for the fall and winter.  I have split cedars, at least 50/70 on my 40 acres, and was thinking about dragging them to my east side road where I could eventually chip them.  some were there when I bought the land 10 years ago and do not appear to be diminishing,  neither do the brush piles.  I was also considering burning the brush piles this winter, any positives or negatives?

Thanks

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2009, 07:21:22 AM »
My Father and I cleaned up about 100X500 foot section of woods.This was a field years ago.We left many trees and piled up the brush.I built a house right across from this area.I mow it with a push lawn mower to keep the brush out of it now.Looks just like a park now.I got tired of looking at the brush piles in there.Probaly was about 15 years.Brush piles was maybe 5 feet tall.Took the tractor and tried to do something to the piles with the loader and I could just about drive over them as the piles were all rotted and were probably less than 2 feet tall by the time I got done with them.I hauled of the piles and made the place look alot better.There was no way that I could burn them being trees was just about touching the piles.
By the way,if you are thinking about burning the piles,any way the wind blows the flames it will cook,burn any nearby trees.Depends on how big the flames get,but I would guess any tree 40 feet away will get cooked.Have to think about the limbs,crown too.If the piles are mostly cedar I guess they would burn.But other wood I would think you would have a hard time burning them due to being too rotted inside the pile.The outside would burn,but doubt inside they would.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline fishpharmer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2009, 05:50:05 AM »
How is the clearing of junk trees coming along?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Offline James P.

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2009, 08:32:34 AM »
I could use a hand fishpharmer, thanks for the offer. Should I call you when I am near finished.  ;)4+ inches of rain yesterday made for a soggy woods but I just put on some rubber boots. Finding lots of baby loblolly pines . They must have been there all along just kept dying cause the lack of sun. Don't think i will have a problem getting a healthier woods going. anything beats black gum , and sweet gum. IMO

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2009, 09:55:18 AM »
Don't think i will have a problem getting a healthier woods going. anything beats black gum , and sweet gum. IMO

Now that is a true statement!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
junk trees

Started by Mr Mom on Forestry and Logging

11 Replies
Last post March 23, 2006, 08:05:53 PM
by Kirk_Allen
xx
Advice on Cutting Out Underbrush (smaller trees on 10 year old clear cut)

Started by H60 Hawk Pilot on Ask The Forester

4 Replies
Last post January 26, 2010, 10:54:42 AM
by SwampDonkey
xx
When is bar junk?

Started by logmason on Chainsaws

4 Replies
Last post April 16, 2019, 09:35:53 AM
by motzingg
xx
new junk