The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Old Jackson lumber harvester  (Read 6980 times)

Offline Chico

• Share Post
Re: Old Jackson lumber harvester
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2009, 12:27:46 PM »
IT means which side  the carriage is on from the saw as in if the carriage move left to right to feed it's a left handed mill if it moves right to left it's a right handed mill this is with the sawyer facing the tracks
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Offline KPT

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2009, 12:57:59 PM »
Thanks for the clarification. I can see your description if the operator is OFF of the carriage but in this case the operator rides the carriage. From the operators standpoint the travel is only forward or back. Maybe the answer is neither!
KPT

Offline Chico

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2009, 12:17:33 AM »
It will still be the same that why I specifed with the sawyer facing the carriage  :)
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Offline KPT

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2009, 01:58:37 AM »
Faceing the carriage from where the logs are loaded it would be left handed.
My mill appears newer than Fla-Deadheader's. The inscription on the carriage is "R-MB No 458" MFD Brewton ALA. Does anybody know if this is a model number, serial number, construction date, or combinations there of? Any other history would be appreciated.
KPT

Offline Ron Wenrich

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2009, 04:49:47 PM »
I checked my Jackson log turner.  They have the date and the model welded onto the frame.  The old Jackson carriage had their name and Wisconsin plant.  I don't recall if it had the model number and date on there. 

They still make a RMBH-30 and RMBH-40 models in their portable mills.  So, my guess is that its the model number.  They're still in business, and you can give them a buzz.

http://www.jacksonlbrharvester.com/
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Offline Meadows Miller

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Find a Job You Love & You Will Never Work Another Day In Your Life
  • The Walkabout Sawyer
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2009, 11:20:48 AM »
Gday

I read an artical in pallet enterprises arcives on a jackson mill still with the original owner (30 yo i think) that started life as a Lh Manual rider and in now that its all grown up  ;) is a Lh Full auto with cab and vert edger ill try and find it and post the details  ;)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Offline KPT

• Share Post
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2009, 03:15:57 PM »
Ron I took your advice and e-mailed JLH. A gent called me today with a lot of information about the mill. As a matter of fact he said that he spent last weekend cutting lumber on the identicle  mill. Aparently even the Jackson people find this old mill a pleasure to use. Unfortunatly I didn't ask whether his mill was personal, company, or muesum etc. The number turns out to be a seriel No. He had checked the records and found 2 seriel numbers missing; 457 & 458, the latter being mine. He knew that the mill was produced before 1956 and yes they still had parts. Unbelievable! He said that the US Army had purchased several of these units but thought all were Mfd in Wis. and not in Ala as mine. When I bought the saw it came with a single axel heavy duty Army trailer which the seller said had previously been used for a diesel engine. I live near Fort Lewis a large, heavily wooded military reservation. I find it highly probable that this saw my have been bought and surplused by the Govt. Thanks to Jackson Lumber Harvester for the reply. No wonder their company is still a viable US business.
KPT

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Jackson Lumber Harvester

Started by D._Frederick on Sawmills and Milling

3 Replies
Last post February 15, 2007, 12:15:48 PM
by logwalker
xx
Jackson Lumber Harvester

Started by D._Frederick on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
Last post February 06, 2004, 02:48:11 AM
by Ron Wenrich