iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill question from newbie

Started by ldman, June 01, 2009, 09:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ldman

tcsmpsi, Thanks for the offer...  Banjo pickers gotcha beat by a foot or 2 on the driving distance.  Had a friend told me of a guy that has an orange saw in his back yard. I drove by the place today and sure enough, there was a wood-mizer in the back yard. Had a nice size log on it. I'm going to drive by there this weekend and see if I can chew a little fat with the owner.... maybe I'll get lucky and he'll make some sawdust for me. I have some friends I haven't seen in a few years that are in the logging business and I believe they use to have one. Going to ride out their way this weekend also.
Banjo picker, I may take you up on that offer one day. I'll practice my chops on the guitar and maybe we can play the Dueling Banjos thingy.  8)
tcsmpsi, is that a Logmaster?  I looked at the Lm1 and Lm2...  I filled out a form on their website this past week. I like your set-up.... You have the mill shed that I want o build.

David

Quote from: tcsmpsi on June 03, 2009, 03:07:27 PM
Quote from: ldman on June 02, 2009, 02:49:52 PM
Btw , if any of you guys are within a reasonable driving distance from Houston ms , I would love to see a saw in action. I have only seen videos of them.

Thanks
David.

What do  you consider "reasonable driving distance"?   ;D

I have a 'mill not previously mentioned', which has worked very well for me, my particula applications and as an overall well-built unit.

I had (which I 'm sure most others have as well) some of the same concerns as yours.

Mine is a manual mill, and does have the off-side sawdust expulsion, which I find gratifying.  As I debark, wash or both before putting logs on the mill, I'm not concerned in that manner as to where my blade cuts.  It works proper for me to have the sawdust where it goes as I can spread it around with the tractor without any notable trouble.

Indeed, the loading and turning of the log/cant on the mill is the most challenging aspect of a manual mill.  As such, I am not too interested in 'big logs', though I do occassionaly run upon one thatI will take the trouble with.

I've been fortunate to be able to get my mill and related equipment set up as I find effecient for my use, so that presently, time seems to be my primary constraint.   :D

Work hard, help others, love God and your family

tcsmpsi

Yes sir.  That's what it is, alright.  The LM 1 with an extended mobile package.  Just a simple, hardworking little bandmill.  A couple years ago, they came out with carriage wheels with bearings instead of bushings, and they upgraded me for no charge.  That's the only thing I've replaced thus far.  Oh, the original tensioning bolt provided had wrong threads which prematurely 'wore out'.  They upgraded that, too.
I lost one of the bolts out of one of the log clamps ( I replaced that on my own).  ;D  Other than maintenance and blade changing, that's all I 've done to it. 

Like Brad S, one of reasons for that mill, is that they're built about a hundred miles from the house.   Got there early in the morning on pick up day and got to watch all the final putting together, adjusting, etc, cut a few boards on it, hooked it up to the truck and took off.

Oh yeah....in any event, the offer still stands.   ;)
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Will_Johnson

Hi IDman:

Thanks for your interest in the 1220. If you'd like to talk to an owner nearby and get a look at one, give me a call at 800-942-4406. Or shoot me an email at wjohnson@timberking.com. I try to keep up with all the chatrooms but don't check my messages as often on FF as I should.

Seems like, as always on FF, you've gotten a lot of good, fairminded advice here.

Best,

Will

Thank You Sponsors!