The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: To edge or not to edge is that a question?  (Read 5068 times)

Offline StorminN

• Share Post
Re: To edge or not to edge is that a question?
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 08:27:21 PM »
The company should have trained the operator elsewhere if that was the problem.

Agreed.

I guess we're getting pretty off-thread here, but I experienced the same sort of thing at a logging show here this past spring... there were two WM's there... the official one with the orange WM tent was being run by a guy that had never run one before, and the other WM was run by a local sawyer. I've got zero experience on a WM, but know I definitely could have done better than the newbie, and maybe better than the other guy, too. Same thing, I left not impressed at all.

Makes you wonder why companies bother to do demos and shows, if they're going to have newbies running their machines and leaving people with bad impressions...

-N.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2009, 10:47:07 PM »
Thanks for the video....esp thanks for it being short enough for me to down load on dial up.  Most of the time I just pass on taking the time because they are too long.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • LT70-Cooks AC-36 edger-boom truck-oliver crawler
    • Share Post
    • Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2009, 12:11:00 AM »
Like bandmiller2 said, put all of your unedged boards on the lift arms and when your cant gets down to 4-6 inches, use the cant to back your boards.  Put them all up on edge between the clamp and the cant.
Chuck
Using a cant that is shorter then your narrowest board will be helps to stiffen the boards to be edged by giving the saw something solid to pull against the full length of the cut, keeping the cut square. I keep my clamp and dogs just below the cut line when not using a cant for support, and always double clamp, close up tight release and clamp again. Another thing to keep in mind is remove the edgings before you unclamp to remove and flip boards, this will keep the little pieces from getting between the boards that are being clamped up, as well as make removing the edgings by the handful much easier.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Offline glgdiggs

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2009, 06:46:11 AM »
I will be mostly sawing alone. The WM was a local find at a fair price which included a DH 4000 kiln, sharpening equipment, 100+ bands, and spare parts. I don't plan on moving the mill from my own property. The edger thought was to simplify board handling and reduce waste if the expense would have a decent ROI. Most of the logs will be 20" to 24" SYP, with hardwood thinnings of oak, maple, and sweet gum. I have found a WM edger and with that I would still only have $20K invested.

Offline Meadows Miller

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Find a Job You Love & You Will Never Work Another Day In Your Life
  • The Walkabout Sawyer
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2009, 10:02:30 AM »
Gday

Good news on the edger Get it you wont look back Mate  ;) ;D 8) 8)

With the demo debate  ;) :D total geenhorns are not a good option but also having a gun sawyer going flat stick and pushing himself and the gear to the limmit (unless your in a comp) can also give newbys to the game a false sence of of what a machine can do in average conditions When ive done demos i just cruse along as it gives ppl  a better feel for what they can expect to see production wise for themselfs and just tell them that you can do better than that with experiance but that takes years to master  ;)  ;D 8)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Offline glgdiggs

• Share Post
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2009, 06:49:04 PM »
I've decided to buy the edger, it was to good a deal to pass up. Now to design a saw shed and a work flow diagram to minimize board handling.

Offline StorminN

• Share Post
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2009, 09:52:39 PM »
Good deal, glgdiggs! You won't regret it!

Tom has some diagrams on here somewhere, for optimal setup / workflow...

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Offline Percy

• Senior Member x2
  • Resident trouble maker
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2009, 10:16:58 PM »
Ive had a WM edger since 2001.  I would be lost without it. That said,before I had an edger, I used to sort all my flitches in same  lengths  and widths onto some  pilebottoms. Id be careful to center each flitch on the pile in relation to the rest of them. After a pile got about 14-16 inches high, I would tale a couple of large  "C" clamps and clamp each end of the pile making sure the "C" clamps were centered at each end of the pile. Then me and the grunt(helper) would lift the pile onto the mill with the c clamps and two cuts later we had a nice pile of boards. Did cut the little metal twist thing on one clamp..heh.... ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Win 10/Edge Question

Started by Magicman on Technical Support Topics

14 Replies
Last post January 27, 2017, 09:44:07 AM
by Magicman
xx
Another live edge question

Started by 78CJ on Sawmills and Milling

3 Replies
Last post April 19, 2019, 09:29:21 AM
by 78CJ