iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

newest addition to my sawmill operation (pic)

Started by Quebecnewf, June 12, 2009, 07:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

This is a pic of an old 3 sided planer that I am planning to set up at my mill. My hope is to use it to do some t&g board among other things.

I am planning to run it with a gas motor and I am still working on the belting hookup. I things go well I hope to have it in operation by the end of the summer.

Unit is very old but in excellent shape

Quebecnewf

sprucebunny

Thanks for the picture ! I hope you can make it work: it looks like a classic !
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

bandmiller2

Qubec,I have an old Parks plainer that I set up with pins for a tractor three point hitch got the PTO  rpm's up by using a transmission backwards.Easy to move around when not needed and scads of power.You can plain out by the sawdust pile no mess to clean up.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

StorminN

Looks great, Quebecnewf... have you figured out what motor you're going to use to power it?

Does it have square heads? Do you have any close-up pictures of the heads or knives? What shaft size are the side heads?

I've been learning a lot about these old machines lately, and I recently learned that a machine like this one - with the side heads directly opposite of each other - is called a "matcher" (as opposed to a "moulder", which is what I have, which has the side heads offset from each other). Matchers are ideal for making flooring and siding and anything that needs to match and fit perfectly t&g style or what have you... moulders are ideal for making mouldings... the offset side heads enable the two side cutters to get closer together or even overlap on the same pattern.

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Quebecnewf

Here is a pic of the setup I plan to use . The engine is a 8hp built back in 63 and seems to work great

i hope to move it to the mill in the coming week

Quebecnewf

Jasperfield

beenthere

Looking good there. Glad to see the project coming together. I can visualize a huge pile of wood chips/shavings forming already.
Hope the 8hp engine does the trick.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jimparamedic

Meadows Miller

Gday

Quebec thats a nice looking bit of kit it should do a good job for you Mate  ;) ;D 8) 8)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Quebecnewf

Moving the planer to the mill.

First put on kometick and wrestle into trailer

Next hoist into boston whaler and drive carefully to mill

Then use winch to haul kometick and planer ashore. Going to set it up in the shed in a few days time after I nail down a new floor.

Quebecnewf

Thank You Sponsors!