The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Folely-Belsaw M-14 Mill  (Read 19897 times)

Offline Meadows Miller

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Find a Job You Love & You Will Never Work Another Day In Your Life
  • The Walkabout Sawyer
    • Share Post
Re: Folely-Belsaw M-14 Mill
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2009, 08:23:42 AM »
Gday

and welcome to the forum ANLwhip  ;) ;D 8) We've got another circ fan and its good you decided to come on in Mate  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)

Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Offline Ron R.

• Share Post
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2009, 12:50:03 PM »
ANLwhip, welcome to the forum. I'm fairly new here myself but you'll find a great bunch of sawyers on here and full of great advice. Just got a m-14 up and running myself. Got a few finishing touches left to do but nothing major. Tooo dog-gone hot to saw right now here(especially since I don't have a mill shed). Weather cools a little I am going to start sawing out my mill shed and hopefully get the mill covered before winter. Post some pics and let us know what area of the country you're in....Best of luck................................Ron

Offline Ron R.

• Share Post
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2009, 07:55:18 PM »
Finished up some safety issues today. Installed an emergency shut-off cable to the tractor pto. Installed screen wire to hopefully knock down some of the dust. Posted some pics in my gallery of these so it might help someone else with safety. Noticed there are more and more Belsaw users coming on the forum so might be of some help to them......Ron

Offline Tripp

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2009, 08:17:50 PM »
I like your off bearing end. The boards are sitting up high so you don't have to bend over so far when removing them.

Tripp

Offline apm

• Share Post
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2009, 08:33:29 PM »
You've got things looking great, Ron. You're going to have all kinds of fun now! ;D
Timberking 1600 now

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2009, 07:58:55 AM »
Ron,good to see the flak screen and a place to hide,and its wise to be able to cut power to the blade quickly.What works good for screen is what they use in front of fire places either the chainmail stuff or heavy screen sections.Best place I've found to mount it is from a roof rafter just your side of the saw so it won't hit the teeth when it swings,it absorbes the impact and keeps the little stuff out of your face.Years ago I worked in a bakery we had chainmail type conveyer chain for glazing donuts perfect for screen wish I still had some.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Offline Ron R.

• Share Post
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2009, 12:21:38 PM »
well guys, finished sawing post for my shop and mill shed this morning. I sawed all my post out of cedar and cut them 4x6's. I found out it takes quiet a big cedar to get more than 2 post at that size. Good thing I didn't try 6 bys. Any how now it's on to sawing plates and rafters and I really looking forward to seeing how the little mill handles it. My brother brought over a white oak log that was 26 inches through and I found out it was almost too much for my little mill. Don't believe I'll try sawing one that size again. Too much trouble to turn and my 40 inch blade just isn't large enough to make the cuts without using a chainsaw to finish. Maybe being a greenhorn at sawing is part of the problem. :-\.               Ron

Offline apm

• Share Post
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2009, 03:37:32 PM »
Great news, Ron. You may have that thing covered before winter. On a 26" log, it's much easier in the long run to split it in half with a chainsaw then mill the halves. You'll still get a pile of lumber, but lots less turning, burying the saw, jamming the splitter in the uncompleted kerf, etc. I usually make one pass with a chain saw the length of the log, then if it's good grain, split it the rest of the way off with wedges. 20-30 minutes well spent.

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2009, 08:36:40 PM »
Many times a oversized log can be handled if all the nubs are cut off along with the butt flair,but usally their more trouble than their worth.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Offline Tripp

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2009, 09:33:24 PM »
I have found that 20 inch plus logs with a 40 inch blade will give you quite a workout. Once you get them squared up they are a joy to cut. My max cut is around 15 inches with my mill. I think Quartering or halving with a chainsaw on large logs (especially hardwoods) may be the answer. I see a big saw with a ripping chain in my future! Gun barreling is also an option but it is a lot of work.

Tripp

Offline Ron R.

• Share Post
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2009, 09:13:23 AM »
Tripp, Thought about the gun barrelling method but decided that might be for more experienced sawyers. Halving with a chainsaw might be a better option. Anyhow, this is a slab holder I built to handle my slabs to cut into firewood. (I'm gonna try to insert a pic :-\

. I think I did it..................................... ..............................Ron

Offline htpd43

• Share Post
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2009, 11:22:42 AM »
hi ron
looks great - nice work.  just wondering if you wouldn't mind giving me a rough idea of how much the mill cost you.  not counting the cost of set up/material.  i would love to get my hands on something like that, but nj isn't exactly a hotbed of sawmilling.   :(
j'red -2137/2150/2054/625II/2165
stihl -011avt/026/056av magII
kubota L35/2 trailers/chevy 1500/ford350 dump
lindig log splitter & lots of other goodies

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Saw collars on Belsaw mill

Started by HOGFARMER on Sawmills and Milling

9 Replies
Last post February 28, 2009, 07:51:17 AM
by jeep534
xx
Belsaw Circle Mill

Started by Pepe_Silvia on For Sale

2 Replies
Last post July 01, 2019, 10:16:31 PM
by Pepe_Silvia