The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Prospective Forestry Student with questions  (Read 4049 times)

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
Re: Prospective Forestry Student with questions
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2009, 11:22:09 AM »
Some  interviews were kind of odd, it was like taking a Psychology test to measure and count trees.   :D :D

Well, it looks like you turned out OK after all  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline VT_Forestry

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 07:50:30 PM »
As someone who just graduated in these tough economic times, allow me to lend a few words of what i've discovered.  I'm by no means as experienced as any of the folks on here, but I know exactly what you're talking about with this economic downturn.

- Get as much experience as possible.  Of the 20-odd people that graduated from Virginia Tech with me this past May with Forestry degrees, only a handful of us (probably 3) actually had jobs to go off to.  I was one of the lucky ones that actually had calls for interviews on jobs.  I owe that to my summer internships and the experience that I gained from them.  I'm currently working where I spent my last 3 summers.  Having that experience was what really set me apart and opened up the few opportunities that I believe would have otherwise passed me by.

- Don't worry about the future of the industry.  As everyone has already mentioned, forestry is in a down cycle with the rest of the economy.  But the fact still remains that forests will remain in America and someone is going to have to have the knowledge to manage them.  Investors still invest in forests, and TIMOs still need to inventory their lands.  On top of that, emerging markets in biomass as well as carbon trading (regardless of what your take on that type of market is) will secure at least some type of employment in the future.  There is also wetland banking to think about.  As long as there is development in this country, there is going to be a need for people to more actively manage the remaining forests.  I think a lot of people are scared/worried to get into the forestry sector because of current economic times.  While this is maybe a good short-term plan, in the long run there is going to be a big shortage of qualified, trained foresters.  I for one am more than willing to fill that void, and you should be too  8)
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 08:32:28 PM »
VT,

Well said.  Now is the time to go into Forestry because when you graduate, things are most likely to be better with more job demand.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline BrandonTN

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2009, 10:53:43 AM »
I enjoyed reading some posts in this thread. I remember when I was dealing with the same dilemmas as locustoak, trying to figure out if forestry was what I wanted to commit to...and now, 3 years later with 2 more semesters left of earning a bachelor's forestry degree, I'm totally sure I want to be in this business. I'm a person who has to find meaning in the work I do...I'm not gonna pick a career based solely on the price others are willing to pay me. Plus I figure, as someone said before about passion, that if I'm passionate about what I'm doing, I'll succeed financially as a by product.

locustoak, I recommend working for the Forest Service for a summer. This past summer I worked out in Wyoming under a forestry timber technician...and it was fun and a good learning experience.
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."- Ralph Emerson

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
another potential forestry student...

Started by CJennings on Forest Education

30 Replies
Last post February 16, 2013, 07:17:44 AM
by CJennings
xx
Design student needs help with developing new forestry product

Started by lewuk on Forestry and Logging

29 Replies
Last post March 04, 2010, 11:37:29 AM
by John Mc