The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: new customer  (Read 2952 times)

Offline woodmills1

• Senior Member x2
  • the truth shall set you free
    • Share Post
new customer
« on: August 13, 2009, 09:03:48 PM »
I got a new customer yesterday, turns out he lives in a house that I pass quite often.  Over the last 5 or 6 months I would say to myself as I passed his house....man this guy is really layin in some firewood.  Turns out among other things he cuts trees now and again and doesn't like to leave anything.  He has wood all over his yard and more to come.  He got my name from the retired shop teacher at my high school, and after talking with him on the phone I decided to give him a deal similar to my tree services, with some changes due to him not being full time tree work.  That is free cutting by me as long as he is there to tail, some pickups by me and some he brings to me.

So, he shows up yesterday with some real big but boney 16 foot pine in the back of his nice chevy 7500 dump.  I tuned him up a little on what makes a good log weather veneer or pallet.  I bucked and cut cookies off and showed him the three good 8 footers that he really wanted the boards from.  So I got around 1500 feet of pallet logs and we took his 3 logs to the mill

hour and a half later we had 590 feet of nice nearly clear pine with 2/3 of it at least 12 inch wide up to 18" he was happy and I figured the $165 I would get from the pallet logs was more than the 90 I would have charged him to saw.  A few hours later he shows up with some huge spruce and some much nicer pine.  I get the pine and he wants staging from the spuce

should be an interestin arraingment.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
Re: new customer
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 09:45:41 PM »
So many times, I think that new customers try us out.  If they like what they see, then you get more business.  I've also "taken" other sawyer's customers because they were used to seeing "crooked" lumber.   Quality get the job....everytime.    ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline sawmilllawyer

• Ride hard, die free.
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 10:55:52 PM »
Woodmills seems like both you and the customer did well on that one, a win/win situation. You'll probably get more than your share of work/wood from this guy in the coming months, good for you. 
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Offline Meadows Miller

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Find a Job You Love & You Will Never Work Another Day In Your Life
  • The Walkabout Sawyer
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 09:27:33 AM »
Gday

Woodmills it sounds like you both will come outa it well mate  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)

I also had a good one come in the other day a bloke from Parks Victoria rang looking for Dad to do a quote for some post&beam picnic shelters for Bendigo city  ;D
I told him dad was away for the next two days but said he could duck out and have a look at one we have here  ;D and a chat about what they where after  ;) well he gets out here sees the mills and asks me what sort of logs im looking for and what i saw  and says do you want some pine logs that we've cut down about 40 mile from here ??? I said yeah ill take what you have if theres enough good logs  to make it worth doing  ;)  he made a call and then said their all yours mate  ;) went up n had a look got Ive got about a 125000 bft of logs to keep me busy smallest is 18" and the bigguns are about 3'6" dia ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Keep it up and have a good one Mate  ;) ;D

Regards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
New customer, fired customer.

Started by customsawyer on Sawmills and Milling

64 Replies
Last post November 11, 2015, 06:13:56 PM
by Peter Drouin
xx
The customer wants to have a go!!

Started by Octoman on Sawmills and Milling

15 Replies
Last post August 08, 2005, 10:56:11 AM
by Engineer