iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

benefit of military service

Started by Engineer, August 21, 2009, 06:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

My middle son has just started his freshman year of high school and has only one career focus in mind - that of being a professional chef.  He's already been in some school-level "iron chef" competitions, visited a couple of culinary schools, and does a lot of cooking at home (but mostly for himself).

He's also rather lazy, undisciplined and sloppy (a typical teenager).  I think that spending a couple years in the military would greatly improve his career opportunities, not to mention earning money for culinary school and some self-discipline to make it through the educational process.  I suggested, for example, that spending a couple years in the mess hall on a Navy ship would go a long way toward deciding if a career as a chef on a cruise ship would be rewarding to him.  He might even decide to stay in the military. 

So my question is - what type of benefits would an aspiring chef get out of military service?  Would he even have the opportunity to cook in the miltary, or would he not even get the chance?  I don't know how enlisted personnel are assigned.  I'd be worried that he would get stuck peeling potatoes on some rusty supply ship sailing out of Greenland, or something similarly unpleasant in the Army or Air Force.   I did not serve in the military myself, something I'll always regret, but I highly encourage him to sign up.  How does he get what he wants as an enlisted man?

Toolman

I would have him talk to your local recruiter and ask those questions to him. I know if I were to have done it again, I would have enlisted in the Air Force or Navy. I served 4 yrs in the Army, I don't regret it, but from what I've heard the Air Force and Navy seemed to offer better educational opportunities. Maybe I'm wrong....just what I've heard. Whatever he decides, it will be beneficial to him to serve. I'm quite sure your local recruiter would be very helpful with those questions that you and your son have. He's smart to start searching for those answers now, instead of at the last minute. He has plenty of time to research between now and then.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

beenthere

As a freshman in HS, what is the hurry?  Objectives and goals are good, but he has some years to mature and may even change his mind 4 or 3 times.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

Yes, you and him should talk to the local recruiters. Decide upon which branch you prefer. They have apptitude tests to determine you areas of interest, etc. There are different routes that he can take to get into being a military cook depending upon branch of service. Some large basis contract there mess service however. Shipboard cooking with the Navy may be a good learning experience.

The GI Bill for further schooling upon discharge is a great benefit of military service.
~Ron

Radar67

Most Army Post are using contract cooks, as are the Air Force bases. The Navy may be the best place as a cook. I can't answer the actual getting to cook question. Zopi should be able to though.

He will learn discipline and organization in the military. The slobs tend to go away quietly. (either get put out or leave at end of contract) (No offense intended toward your son)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

pineywoods

I'd be inclined to stay away from large military installations as a cook. Mostly they have large mess halls where the cooks are just a cog in a large wheel making standard recipes in huge amounts. Small outfits are much more desireable, but the only way I ever heard of to guarantee that is to volunteer for the submarine service. I know the army and airforce do have some small isolated installations where a good cook is a big morale booster. Navy- anywhere except a carrier or a large land base.   I would agree that a stint in the military would be a good thing for most teenagers. Talk to a recruiter, I think all services will gurantee a trade provide you have the qualifications. I never regreted my time, but I have no desire to do it again.. ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

ksu_chainsaw

Army cooks do just about everything but cook!  On deployments, most everywhere is contracted by civilians, and the cooks do infantry related tasks.  I have a couple buddies that were Navy cooks, and from their stories, if you want to cook, that is the place to do it, but they got out because they could not get promoted- don't ask, long story.  I have college friend of mine who is in the Air Guard as a cook, and they just supervise civilians when they mobilize.

I have enjoyed my time in the Army Guard so far, just hit 10 years in, so I will stick it out till I am eligible to get that retirement check.  I think that any military service is helpful, as you build a sense of self-worth and greater responsibility, especially as you move up the ladder.

Just my 2 cents

Charles

DanG

Interesting thread Jon, and you've gotten some excellent input.  I second, third, fourth and fifth the Navy thing.  Even when I was in the Army forty years ago, they were moving to contract cooks.  They can't very well do that on a ship.  Of course, you can't make the decision for him to go military for him.  It has to be his decision.  You're doing the right thing to be thinking of it early though, as you can gently nudge him in that direction over a long period.

As BT said, he may change his mind and decide to be a barber or even an engineer by the time he gets out of HS.  Even if he decides against the military option, an entry-level chef will get plenty of discipline.  A stint in a real restaurant may tell him that he wants to do something else for a living, and cook for a hobby.  The door is wide open, and the possibilities are endless at this point in the game. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

A cook in the Navy has to cook.  I wouldn't worry too much about the type of ship he gets, if he gets a ship.  We had a cook on our destroyer that we would have fought over.  He was always doing something special for the crew.  If we fished, he cleaned and cooked the fish.  If we had a birthday, we got a cake and there was enough for everyone. When the Fleet menu called for tossed salad and everybody else was getting theirs dished from a big serving pan, we had individual salads, a slice of tomato on a leaf of lettuce and a dollop of mayonaise or something like that.   Did the mess help clean his pots, pans, knives and cooking utensils?  Heck no!  Don't touch his stuff.

It's probably easier to be an appreciated cook on a small ship or utility ship than on a big ship where the crew is just so many numbers.

It takes a bit of maturity to make it in the service.  Consider that when he signs up early.  It's a real good place to find out that there are people better than you.  You have to be mature enough to accept it, learn and accel.

zopi

yeah...the Navy is pretty much the place to be if you want to sling hash..Army cooks tend to heat up MRE from what I have seen....The college money is excellent, I have to say though that it isn't what it used to be..."Corporate Navy" and "Intrusive Leadership" are two terms I wish I never heard...Translation, the politicos have gotten so deep into our military that we act like a corporation that cannot succeed..if you can't lead, pass the buck, and the politcos have keeled over to the whiners so much and taken the teeth out of leadership so badly that you can no longer slap the living daylights out of some snot nosed punk when he so richly deserves it, now you have to nag him not to get into trouble, because it is surely the chiefs fault if he does and there is no way we can hold that innocent young sailor accountable for his own actions...

End of rant..Navy is still a good career, but, get in, get your benefits and get the hell out.

Have the young'un read "Becoming a Chef" By Michael Ruhlman, in fact have him read all of Ruhlman's books...and get him a job in a hash house somewhere as soon as he is old enough, start out as a commis washing dishes and scrubbing pots...make him stick with it...you have to earn your chops at every step of the way in that particular life...it weeds out the weak very quickly..

Another good book is Anthony Bourdain's book on what really goes on in the restaurant business..it's a rough *DanG way to live...don't tell my mama I'm a chef, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

DanG

Quote from: zopi on August 21, 2009, 10:06:18 PM
don't tell my mama I'm a chef, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse...

:D :D :D

I suppose one would become jaded over a period of time, but the knowledge that you have served your Country is a source of great satisfaction later in life. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

pineywoods

Quote from: DanG on August 21, 2009, 10:46:28 PM

I suppose one would become jaded over a period of time, but the knowledge that you have served your Country is a source of great satisfaction later in life. ;)

Yep, you got that right.  been there, done that, the T shirt wore out years ago.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

pappy19

My son served 4 years as a Marine cook. He could have been described exactly as your son in his high school years. In fact when he decided to go for the Marines, his goal was to do his 4 years as a Marine cook and then do the cruise ship route. He really enjoyed his tenure as a cook as as such, the Marines still had/have alot more disipline and smaller units to take care of. He still had to qualify every 6 months on rifle and pistol. When get finished his tour, he cooked for the Marriot Corp for a number of years, but then got into the insurance business and finally real estate. Nonetheless, his stint in the Corp was the best thing that ever happened to him and the proudest moment of my life as his Dad was being at San Diego when he graduated from Marine Boot Camp.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Toolman

I say who needs cook's when they have those delicious MRE's! :D :D :D
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Norm

If it's a chef's career he wants to go into I'd suggest he get a part time job in a small restaurant. It will get him some experience and help to decide if that's a job he would really like to do. I grew up working in one and really learned a lot about the inner workings of restaurants....I also learned that it is hard work for very little money. :D

zopi

MRE..Meals Rejected by Enemies...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Reddog

Norm offers some good advice.
I grew up in a restaurant also. Was a cook from age 12 to 16. He should try a summer job at one and see what it is all about.
As for military service. Is he in Boy scouts?
There are a lot of things he could do now to help himself in getting set for service.

Chuck White

I have a brother who was a cook/chef in the Army for 8 years and he loved it. 
He does most of the cooking at home now, he loves it and so does his wife.
I really think that everyone should put in 2 years (mandatory) right out of High School.

I retired out of the Air Force in 1989 and don't have much to regret about staying in for 20 years!
I get that Government check each month and lots of other benefits!
I have 2 sons, #1 is in the Army and #2 is in the Air Force.  They both outrank their "ole man" and they have just under a year and a half and they will be elegible for retirement.

I think that anyone (my brother included) would do well to be a cook/chef in the military.
Think of the job opportunities they would be offered once they leave the military with all of that training. 
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

iceman7668

I too think everyone should do 2 years in the military. I think they should have to be stationed outside of the U.S. also. I did 5 years as an army medic, 3 years of it in Germany. You get a much greater sense of how much we have in this country, when you leave it for an extended period. I also think after a person does his tour, their tuition to higher education should be paid in full by our government.
John D Myers

ksu_chainsaw

MRE  also known as Meal Ready to Explode- that heater works good for that  :-X

Engineer

Zopi - we have Ruhlmann's books, as well as a few of Bourdain's.  I enjoy them and I encourage him to read them. 

Reddog - he's about six months away from becoming an Eagle Scout.  Doesn't stop him from being somewhat of a lazy slob, but I think that'll solve itself by the time he's ready for college or the military.

I spent a few years doing short order (NOT fast food) and pizza/subs in a couple different places, and I have a pretty good idea what he'll be getting into.  He's not worked in a restaurant yet (too young) but he's taken some culinary classes in school and done really well.

He's the kind of kid that we always seem to have to keep a really tight leash on, the type that either does exceptionally well in life, or goes really bad.  I always thought the Navy would be good for him because it's kinda hard to escape.   :D

Skip

I was a cook in USMC for 1.5 years and I can say the exp he would gain would be priceless a couple of guys I know went on to cook on the Alaskan pipiline and now own there own resturants and they a'int dives . Plus the disciplne he learns will help the rest of his life. And if he wants to go to school afterwards the pick up the tab. Semper Fi

Don_Papenburg

Dang , don't tell my ol buddy Dave that a parent can't make the desision to join the navy .  He "borrowed his step dads lincoln to go on a date .  his step dad found his car missing and reported it . To make a long story short ; before the judge his step dad said "You mean all I have to do is sign this paper and Davey is in the Navy?" Judge said yep and Dave was a boiler tec on the Ranger for a spell. ;D
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

01crewcab

Viet Nam Navy vet. We too had great cooks onboard the "Tin Can" I served on. My son is in the SeaBees. They also have civilian cooks on their bases.The Navy does have great schools, and I encourage all kids to consider military service. I also know that the military is not "right" for everyone. Look at the high rates of suicide that are now occurring.
2100(2),480, 281, 181,372XPW, 460,435,350,61(4),51-Huskys
49SP, 630Super(3),670's(4), 830, 920, 930 Jonsered's
S-XL925 Homelite
SP125C, 790, 250, 1010 Macs
27Ton Troybilt Splitter
NRA Life Endowment Member
Viet Nam Vet

Thank You Sponsors!