iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red oak trip.

Started by htpd43, September 03, 2009, 11:34:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

solidwoods

Whatcha doing with the lumber?
It may have mathed out better to get a portable mill to mill the logs.
You wouldn't have had to cut off logs to fit your mill so the yield to effort would be better.
Its very cheap to have a mill sawmill compared to the time/ effort /etc's of doing it your self with a chain mill.
I'd say chain mills are best used for thick stock , not 2" and less.
If your working with a tree removal co. maybe have them stock logs to make a min. milling job for a portable, then have them mill them. Then you can haul lumber instead of logs.  If the tree clearing co sells fire wood, give them the slabs to add to their inventory.
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

htpd43

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on September 04, 2009, 10:11:51 AM
Let's see,
#1 New sawmill
#2 New Trailer
#3 New truck to pull new trailer
As the bug hits the log supply will increase
I'd say don't get rid of that truck any time soon, you may find a need for it. Although not quite as heavy duty as the five ton wrecker that you drove. (I was operator on a five-ton wrecker before graduating to a 578, then an 88, and on to a Hemet wrecker)

I have had people show up with loads like what you had on, with similar stories. One guy showed up about 4 hours after dark with one axel chained up to keep it from dragging (to much) he had no idea where the tire ran off to. They had started the project of moving the logs early in the day. He made to trips to pick up the lumber.

i would love to get a mill, trailer and truck but i don't think it'll happen any time soon. 

i only got the opportunity to drive a hemmt once.  it was the wrecker version and i got the opportunity to pull a loaded deuce and a half or five ton dump truck (cant remember for sure) with the rear winch - and i think it was rated at a rediculously high weight - like 40 or 45 tons.  pulled the dumper like a toy.
j'red -2137/2150/2054/625II/2165
stihl -011avt/026/056av magII
kubota L35/2 trailers/chevy 1500/ford350 dump
lindig log splitter & lots of other goodies

htpd43

Quote from: solidwoods on September 07, 2009, 05:22:49 PM
Whatcha doing with the lumber?
It may have mathed out better to get a portable mill to mill the logs.
You wouldn't have had to cut off logs to fit your mill so the yield to effort would be better.
Its very cheap to have a mill sawmill compared to the time/ effort /etc's of doing it your self with a chain mill.
I'd say chain mills are best used for thick stock , not 2" and less.
If your working with a tree removal co. maybe have them stock logs to make a min. milling job for a portable, then have them mill them. Then you can haul lumber instead of logs.  If the tree clearing co sells fire wood, give them the slabs to add to their inventory.
jim

i have to be honest, i just wanted to try milling. the wood was the right price and i should have no trouble getting more. i actually have a (roughly 24"x18') locust log waiting for me.  right now i'm probably going to just use the lumber to replace the decking on my little trailer.  i don't know of anyone around here with a portable mill, but my buddy had an alaskan - so the choice was simple.  plus i wanted to do it myself - i dont think anyone would just let me use thier mill without any experience - so i would have been stuck watching/helping which would defeat the purpose for me.  i have a full time job so this is just  another hobby for now.

thanks for all the replies and advice guys.

Lou

htpd43

last week i took the mill and saw apart for a good cleaning and took the chain to the saw shop.  it was dull and not a ripping chain to boot.  since it's not my saw or chain and the dealer was out of ripping chain, i just had it sharpened.  what a difference!! my brother and i ripped a 4" thick board for my old man's mantle.  we end sealed it and set it up to dry.  hope it comes out ok.  i put in an order for my own alaskan mill and a few loops of ripping chain.  i can't wait to start building up a nice pile of lumber.  maybe by next year i can start framing for a good sized shed.
thanks to all of you for the advice and kind words.  if anybody happens to see a smaller bandsaw mill (around a norwood lumbermate 2000 size) for sale keep me in mind - im going to try to buy one with next years tax return.

lou

Magicman

Sawdust don't wash off does it??       :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!