The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: another potential forestry student...  (Read 6635 times)

Offline SouthernVT LawnLogger

• Share Post
Re: another potential forestry student...
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 04:29:46 PM »
Hey. i have read about all the posts that you have put up.  One question for you is why are you choosing what school to go, depending on what state it is.  I have recently graduate from Paul Smiths, but i am going to get my forest technician degree. witch i will be out of here one year from May.  You should get a tour here at the school.  I now that there is more opportunity offered here that other schools, but that is my personal feeling.  there is no other College in the nation that has a saw mill that is completely ran by students.  Your opportunities are endless here is seems.  I guess you should get some other opinions if you dislike new york that  much.  Yea i am a Vermnter as born and bread and going to PSC was one of the best choices i made.  i looked at all those colleges my senior year of high school but non of the stood out to me like PSC.  great place to check out.  Also PSC gives a great forestry reputation. i have been introduced to many people that have associates degrees for the same and they have done excellent. 

Remember this was my opinion. dont bash on it to bad.
Kyle Zecher

Offline CJennings

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 07:00:03 PM »
Hey. i have read about all the posts that you have put up.  One question for you is why are you choosing what school to go, depending on what state it is.  I have recently graduate from Paul Smiths, but i am going to get my forest technician degree. witch i will be out of here one year from May.  You should get a tour here at the school.  I now that there is more opportunity offered here that other schools, but that is my personal feeling.  there is no other College in the nation that has a saw mill that is completely ran by students.  Your opportunities are endless here is seems.  I guess you should get some other opinions if you dislike new york that  much.  Yea i am a Vermnter as born and bread and going to PSC was one of the best choices i made.  i looked at all those colleges my senior year of high school but non of the stood out to me like PSC.  great place to check out.  Also PSC gives a great forestry reputation. i have been introduced to many people that have associates degrees for the same and they have done excellent. 

Remember this was my opinion. dont bash on it to bad.
Kyle Zecher

Don't worry, I won't bash your opinion too bad.  ;)

I believe NH has a sawmill for use with their program too. I know ME will involve some experience with one, not sure if they own a sawmill or if it's off campus. Definately a good idea to get some experience with one, certainly. PSC is definately the most expensive option though. I need to sort out the financial aspect of all of them and just see where the chips fall on that, but I'm kind of stuck being unable to completely sort that out till after 1/1/2010 because of the rules. I dislike debt so I'm hoping to avoid that as best I can. All I'll say on NY is my brother was driving through NY on his way to MI, had a handgun with him (unloaded, no ammo with him even, locked in a case, complying with FOPA) and got pulled over over a tail light that went out at some point in the trip. Arrested him over the gun whose case he saw and my brother didn't get out till the next morning when they admitted it was legal what he was doing, and the arrest illegal. So, wasn't going to say anything about that originally but there you have it, that's why I tend to avoid NY...not doubting PSC and also that SUNY ranger school aren't good schools from everything I've read and heard, but if NH and ME have schools that are as good they'll get my preference is all...

Best of luck to you, BTW, on your degree and getting work. Everything going easily for you?

Offline celliott

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 06:42:34 PM »
CJennings, any news on this topic?
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Offline CJennings

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2013, 02:38:57 PM »
Wow, it's been 3 years since I posted this thread. I still pop in here every couple weeks but haven't posted since. But since this is near the top of the section, I decided against going for a second bachelor degree or associates 3 years ago, it didn't seem to make financial sense since so little financial aid is available for second bachelor degrees. It's been a strange road the past few years but after several jobs I've hated, spending most of my spare time out in the woods studying the trees and looking for unusual or uncommon ones, I decided I'm getting into forestry one way or another, I'm clearly being pulled in that direction.

I'm headed to UMaine this Fall for their Master of Forestry program.

Online WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2013, 08:36:17 PM »
Excellent.  You will be enriched.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline celliott

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2013, 09:54:19 PM »
Good for you!
I found this topic again, and it was interesting for me to reread it as well. I kind of had an interesting couple years myself. I went to Paul Smiths right out of high school. Came home after the first semester. Reasons being money issues, but primarily I don't think I was ready to be a full time college student. My grades weren't there, and my motivation certainly wasn't. So, I did some community college classes, math, english, and the like. Was also working part time in a factory. Making good money. But I realized after about a year there that I wasn't going anywhere working there. I guess my time spent there was motivation enough to get me back in school. So, I am back at Paul Smiths, going for my AAS in Forest Technology. Maybe a bachelors degree down the road, I don't know. But, I am going to be getting a degree in the spring, and hopefully getting out of the factory and into the woods.
College is going alot better this time around. Made dean's list once, and I am an RA (residential assistant) this year. I am excited to be done college and get a degree this time. I can't wait to get on the job experience either.
Good luck to you CJennings!
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Offline CJennings

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2013, 08:31:47 PM »
Good luck to you too, celliott! Life's too short to whittle it away miserably in a factory. I had a job like for a few months, standing in front of a conveyor belt packing boxes all day. Notice I only had it a few months, just until I had enough money to get out of there.  ;)

I've also done substitute teaching which wasn't such a bad thing but I've found I can't stand being inside too long. Since I'm working only part time these days I get to the woods a few hours every day, which might be good, I'll have to memorize a lot of trees and their Latin names this Fall...

Offline Black_Bear

• UMaine Black Bears
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2013, 08:11:06 PM »

I'm headed to UMaine this Fall for their Master of Forestry program.

Who will be your advisor? 

Offline CJennings

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2013, 06:52:53 AM »

Dr. Robert Seymour.

Offline Black_Bear

• UMaine Black Bears
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2013, 10:02:08 PM »

Dr. Robert Seymour.

A more dedicated man there is not. I used to love just popping in on him in his office and discussing the finer points of silviculture. He wanted me to sign on for a Masters, but I was 34 when I graduated as an undergrad and I wanted out of there - not because I couldn't stand the place but I was ready to get on with my life. If I was 22 when I graduated I would have definitely gone for the Masters and possibly a doctorate.

You may be monitoring the undergrad silvi/ecology labs, and will spend plenty of time outdoors. Just remember that he is a "silviculturist" and that there is no such term as "silviculturalist".  ;) 

Offline CJennings

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2013, 07:17:44 AM »
That's good to hear, and I'll try to remember that. Silviculturalist doesn't really roll off the tongue too well anyways.  ;)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter