iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cleaning saw blades

Started by D._Frederick, September 08, 2009, 07:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

I have several carbite saw blades that have burned-on resin that I would like to clean off. Is it safe to use an ovencleaner that has lye in it? Will lye attact the carbite?

Is there anything better than ovencleaner?

tyb525

Kerosene...There are various companies that make their own version of a resin remover.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

ohsoloco

I've used Simple Green in a shallow pan of some sort, and soaked my table saw blades in it.  All of the junk on the blade kinda "melts off".  Think I let 'em sit overnight.  Takes all the writing off the blades too though  ;)

Larry

Freud did a test of oven cleaner on carbide...yes it will attack the carbide.  I used it for years with no ill effects but maybe I was lucky or didn't notice.

So...I switched to simple green.  If your not going to use it right away blow dry and maybe wipe down with oil.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WH_Conley

Carburator cleaner and a Scotchbrite pad, followed up with spray silicone.
Bill

D._Frederick

I soaked the blade in strong detergent, the type that dairies use, after 30 minutes it was easy to wire brush it clean.

I there any thing that can be sprayed on the blade to prevent burn-on that will not effect finish?

Brad_bb

I stay away from the use of silicone spray.  It's like in an automotive shop, silicone is banned in any form.  Silicone sticks to everything.  Silicone has small bead particles that act like bearings, giving it it's very lubriscious properties, but those same properties make it difficult if not impossible to remove.  Silicone will affect paint like spraying water on oil.  Paint will bead away.  It's the bain of body and paint shops.  So too can it affect wood finish.  Thow some on the endgrain from the blade may be small effect, if it spreads or if you spray it in place or on the table, it will transfer to your wood, and I wouldn't want to deal with that.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

pappy

Been using it for a number of years with great results.. Bought it in the gallon size and saved a bunch... Rinses with water and I dry the blade off with compressed air...  8)

OxiSolv™ Blade And Bit Cleaner

http://woodworker.com/Cleaner.htm
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

LorenB

Unfortunately no one seems to have heard of the best and safest way to remove burned on junk from saw blades. 

In the laundry section of any well-stocked grocery or Wal-mart you will find a product called washing soda.  My local Wal-mart sells "Super Washing Soda" packaged by Arm & Hammer (the baking soda company). 

Take a handful (about 1/4 cup) of washing soda and dissolve it in about half a gallon of HOT water.  It doesn't dissolve well in cold water. 

Soak your blades in this solution for a few seconds and then brush the dissolved pitch, etc., off the blade with a toothbrush.  If you are doing bandsaw blades you can brush the solution onto the blade.  It will still work. 

Since you are running water onto your saw blades you should probably dry and oil (or wax) them immediately after cleaning. 

I don't know if you can drink this stuff, but it's certainly much safer than oven cleaner and I'll bet it works better too. 

– Loren
Loren
Baker 3667D portable sawmill, Cook's edger, Logrite arches & peaveys.  Husky 272XP chainsaw & two Echos.

woodmills1

just soak it in lestoil.........works well
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

IMERC

Quote from: WH_Conley on September 09, 2009, 07:48:59 AM
Carburator cleaner and a Scotchbrite pad, followed up with spray silicone.

Bostick makes two dry lubes for tools.. top-cote for toold shoes/plates and table tops..
they also have one called dri-cote for cutters and blades...

this stuff works......

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2007336/2252/Dri-Cote--Aerosol--1075-oz.aspx

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2007336/2253/Top-Cote--Aerosol--1075-oz.aspx
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

johnjbc

I have filed a sharp edge on a putty knife. I lay the blade on the work bench and scrape off the sap or light rust. Then turn it inside out and do the other side. Run it through the setter, turn it outside in to set the other side and put it on the sharpener.
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Thank You Sponsors!