iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deer Hunting 2009

Started by pappy19, October 21, 2009, 08:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Ditto! on it being a poor deer season weatherwise. Few deer seen for the hours hunted.
~Ron

Magicman

This week's weather is bad for sawing (shut it down), but should improve the hunting.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Qweaver

Our deer population here in WV is huge this year.  We have a 1200 acre hunting club with a limit of ten members and almost everyone has an 8 point or better (not broken leg me of course) and the does are everywhere.  One of the boys counted 19 in a field on our 26 acre family land.  Sarah wanted me to shoot one this morning but we've been promised a big doe from the hunting club and I'll wait on that one first.  We really need to kill as many does as allowed because the mast is poor this year and many deer will starve if the count stays as high as it is now.  Better to be harvested than to starve.  I'm really bummed out with not being able to hunt in such a banner year.
Good luck everyone
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Sunfield Hardwood

Here's my 09 buck taken on second day of gun season with muzzleloader. :)
2 international log trucks,woodmizer LT40 Super hyd, cat 910 frontloader, case 1845 skidloader,new holland 4x4 tracter with farmi whinch, lots of stihl saws, waiting to retire so I can spend even more time logging and sawing, yip-yip-yahoo

Magicman

Wow, he's high and wide......Congratulations.... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Scott

Sunfield,

Is that a Lower Michigan Buck? Nice!!
~Ron

Sunfield Hardwood

Yes I got him in eaton co. on a new farm I got permission to hunt this year. I had lot;s of bucks on trail camera and even some big ones but not this big and I never got a picture of this buck, I've also been watching over 80 turkeys fly down and feed almost every morning. I've seen quite a few rabbits on this farm and I can't wait to start running my new beagle pup, I have an older female to get the pup started, man this is the life! 8)
2 international log trucks,woodmizer LT40 Super hyd, cat 910 frontloader, case 1845 skidloader,new holland 4x4 tracter with farmi whinch, lots of stihl saws, waiting to retire so I can spend even more time logging and sawing, yip-yip-yahoo

sprintfan11

Day 2 Rifle season, central PA - Nothing seen, nothing shot...but...stepson shot a very nice 8 point with long tines.... ;D
Use up, wear out, make do or do without.

Husqvarna 455 Rancher 20"
1994 GMC 1500 4X4
Central Boiler 5036 OWB
Troy-Built 27 ton splitter
Generac 6500 generator
More stuff to come....

semologger

Quote from: pineywoods on November 30, 2009, 11:05:36 AM
Here's a good way to find down/wounded deer in the dark. The best way by far is a good tracking dog, but they usually aren't available. A night vision scope with the infra-red illuminator turned off. The body heat from a deer will stand out like a sore thumb, especially if the ground is cold. Never tried it in snow, but should work even better..

That would be nice to do but not legal to have around here. Alot of deer get shot between the eyes anyways. You see alot of deer around here on the side of the road with just the loins and the back hams gone. They can lay it down get the good meat and be gone in a blink of an eye. Lots of poachers around these parts. One other thing the feds just busted alot of guys for running dogs and using marine radios. They have a petition going around trying to legalize running dogs. You can use a dog to track a wounded deer but you can not have a firearm on you.

sprintfan11

Day 3 Rifle season central PA, rain out...

Day 4 Rifle season central PA, nothing seen, something heard, nothing shot... :-\

Been hunting after work for days 2 and 4, got day off tomorrow, can hunt all day... ;D
Use up, wear out, make do or do without.

Husqvarna 455 Rancher 20"
1994 GMC 1500 4X4
Central Boiler 5036 OWB
Troy-Built 27 ton splitter
Generac 6500 generator
More stuff to come....

Magicman

I'm headed over to my cabin tomorrow.  The wind will be out of the North, which is very bad, but I'll try something.  There are a couple of "culls" that need to be removed from the herd.

gary

I have been hunting western Pa. I saw 12 doe and 3 bucks (only 1 legal) on Monday. Didn't see a deer Tuesday. Got a doe Wednesday. Was too windy Thursday. Friday another day without seeing a deer. Saturday morning 5 does in 2 hours. I have all of next week yet to get a buck.

Magicman

We're into our Primitive Weapon season now.  This doe just didn't believe that a .54 TC Renegade would do her in.  First time that I ever shot a Mississippi deer with snow on the ground.  I rattled in a nice 8 point, but not a shooter for me.  I'm really after those culls.

Sunfield Hardwood

Hey Ron Scott, Did ya recognize the orange hat in my picture?. My wife won it at the picnic, donated by you, Thanks. I traded my wife a beautiful bowl made by burlcraft, also won at the picnic [thanks], for the hat. of course I get to enjoy the bowl every day, it's on our table. and the wife could use the hat if she wanted to.

Weekend_Sawyer

I got a nice bonus yesterday morning. I woke up, made a cup of coffee, was looking out the sliding glass door and there stood a doe! Went and got the bow, gently slid the door open and walla meat in the freezer. Except for 1 backstrap which we had on the grill last night and a bowl of stew which will start bubblin on the stove soon.

BTW, 12 of us were in deer camp for WV gun season and we only took 5 deer. The deer just werent there. I'm thinkin it had something to do with that poor acorn crop last year.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Qweaver

Jon, I don't know where you were hunting in WV but I have been in many parts of the state this year and high deer populations are the norm.  We cleared 3 acres just behind my cabin and planted grass on the cleared area.  We routinely see 18 to 20 deer there most evenings eating the new grass.  My cousin has a 90 acre deer camp 15 miles away and they have shot deer every day that they have hunted.  We have a 1200 and 250 deer lease and it is just overrun with deer.  There have been at least seven 8 point or better bucks taken and many doe.  Uncle Lowell and his hunting buddy have killed at least one deer every day they have hunted...( 6 total) and usually within a short period of time after sunrise.  Another friend has a 500 acre farm near Friendly WV and they have made it a rule that each invited hunter MUST take at least one deer or not be invited back next year...same problem, just too many deer.  I don't know of a single one of my hunting friends that did not get at least one deer...many have filled all of their tags.  A farm land owner here can take an extra four deer and I know many that are. 
Cousin Rodney shot a large 8 point Saturday up on Murphys Creek and said that he had several bucks to choose from.  You must have been really unlucky or may be in an area with a lot of poaching.  We had that proplem on a deer lease in east Texas...Lots of deer during the summer but few to be found during hunting season.
Next year may be a different story because there is very little acorn crop this year.  There may be a lot of starving deer this winter.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Weekend_Sawyer

We are in the eastern panhandle. To tell you the truth there were pleanty of deer right up to gun season. I took 2 in bow season and  one in gun season. Our forester tells us that the browse line also indicates too many deer. I guess when the shootin started they headed for your area. :D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Ron Scott

Sunfield,

No, I didn't recognize the hat, I was looking mostly at your nice buck. Glad that you made good use of the hat and in a great deer picture.
~Ron

treecyclers

Things have really been slow here in southern central NY hunt wise.
Mr. Jim got a doe a week or so ago, but haven't got anything else yet.
I haven't shot a thing, and been getting frustrated, so I went fishing instead.
Caught two 15" walleye, and a serious chill in my bones!
Fun was had by all! Except maybe the fish, but they went back in anyway. Not quite enough to make a meal, and I'm generally a gentle giant anyway.
Anyone need help thinning the herd this year that's a day's drive or less from Binghamton NY?
I just GOTTA get me a deer or ten this year!
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

Raider

Hunted this season of Wisconsin at the home. Took some nice bucks with two that are at the Tx. Wart shot a 16 pt with 14 scoreable 164 BC green. It has long tines and 21" inside. That was the first Sat. of season. On the second Sat. I got an eleven pt'er with 16 1/2 inside fair length of tines. The pictures are in my gallery if you want to look at them. Checked the cattle this morn. Saw a nice 10pt about 19-20". Will wait for our holiday hunt to look for him again.  This has been a nice year for  "Raider's" hunt'n 8) 8)

fishpharmer

Raider, I put your picture in my post.  fishpharmer did not shoot this deer.

Anyone would be proud of that one.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Sunfield Hardwood

fishpharmer, Congrats, What an awesome deer and a nice photo too!

Raider

Thanks for put'n the picture on! That buck is Warthog's (son). Mine is 19 1/2 inside hit the wrong key!!! :o Have to check, but it should be in the gallery also...   Raider

fishpharmer

Raiders Son's deer....   Fishpharmer DID not shoot these.  Just posted for all to see (wish I did ;))

Quote from: Raider on December 07, 2009, 03:04:35 PM
Thanks for put'n the picture on! That buck is Warthog's (son). Mine is 19 1/2 inside hit the wrong key!!! :o Have to check, but it should be in the gallery also...   Raider

Raiders Deer.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

beenthere

Raider
Dandy WI bucks.   SW WI ??

You must be packin in some doe too.  ;D

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!