The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Building the Model T  (Read 4213 times)

Offline scgargoyle

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Building the Model T
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 04:32:50 PM »
It was interesting watching that video after I took a factory tour of the BMW plant in SC last week! They have 4 million square feet of manufacturing space, and about 4500 employees. They make 32 beemers an hour, and every one they make is specifically ordered. All of the X5 and X6's in the world are made there, and are shipped to 140 countries. Each car gets a little transponder attached that is programmed with all of the options for the car, including the country it's going to, so they can match the safety and emissions equipment. If you order one, you can actually track your car on-line as it's being built. Start to finish takes about 4 days. A few things that surprised me: all of the parts are manufactured elsewhere; they only do assembly at the BMW plant. Using Just-In-Time practices, they only have a 2-4 hour inventory of parts, so there are trucks and trains coming and going constantly. The wiring harness weighs 96 lbs., and they heat it so it will bend to fit the car. They only have 2-1/2 minutes to install the wiring harness. No wooden wheels, though.....
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Offline fishpharmer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 10:12:05 AM »
No, don't tell me beemer parts are made in China?  I wonder if the price of rail transport is cut in half the price of BMW goes down.  Doesn't really matter to me.   I would rather have a model T than a beemer. ;)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Offline scgargoyle

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 03:12:53 PM »
I don't know if any of the BMW parts come from China- interesting question, though. Most of the parts are manufactured right in SC and the surrounding states. They said for every job at the plant, another four are generated in the local economy. That could get ugly if BMW got in money trouble!
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter