iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a firewood processor (with updated 7-10-2011 pics and video)

Started by GF, November 11, 2009, 10:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GF

I am working on machining and building the six way splitter and had a question hopefully someone can answer.  The vertical section of the splitter I made from 1" thick solid steel, I was wondering on the other horizontal section if they also need to be 1" or 3/4 inch?   I have never seen a six way splitter but some look as if they are made from 3/4".    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Gary

woody1

GF
Just wondering if your making any headway on the processor ?
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

GF

I have made some progress, have the clamp built and in place and the splitter mechanism, and trough built and in place.  I have machined the large upright splitter wedge, and still lack machining the shorter ones, once I get them done I am going to but a hard surface edge on the front and machine it down.  Hopefully I can get some updated pictures up this week of the progress.

GF

archertwo

There's a lot of work that goes into a project like this one.
Keep it up. You'll have a great setup when you're done.

Mine's just a little rig next to yours. :o

Husqvarna 254XP x3
Red Max 5300 x3
Kubota 62 & 85 HP two 203T loaders on 9 Ton wagons one with a 40LF PATU delimber & GMT 035 felling head
homemade firewood processor
www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxLwTiRxf3c
www.youtube.com/watch?v=O01xr7dVAAA
Road Trail 7X12-14,000## Dump Trailer

beenthere

archertwo
Do you have a video of that rig operating?

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

archertwo

Husqvarna 254XP x3
Red Max 5300 x3
Kubota 62 & 85 HP two 203T loaders on 9 Ton wagons one with a 40LF PATU delimber & GMT 035 felling head

woody1

I'd love to put a video of my processor running on the forum. My daughter has a video camera, but I don't have a clue where to start..as far as downloading on to a web site.
If I get the video..can I get some help ?

Regards,
Dumwoody.  :D

Hilltop366

Den Socling

I should be able to help you get a video up and running but I have never done so. I imagine that you put it at youtube and then post a link. If I can do it, I'll list the steps. Meantime, if anybody can help, please feel free.

Den Socling

Step #1. Become infuriated while trying to remember your user name and password at youtube. I hate those squiggly letters that you are supposed to be able to read.  :-\ 

Now I find that none of that is needed. While fighting against google, my son made a video with his telephone! He put it up with the title "Google hates my father" but we still didn't figure out how it's embedded here. Tom? Jeff? Come on in boys!

Den Socling

Den,
Go to the video on youtube and on the right hand side is a box with both the URL and the Embed code.
You can simply highlight and copy the URL and then paste it into your post like I just did. Some videos you need to use part of the embed code if the URL doesn't work, but try the URL first.

Jason

Thank you Jason.

Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MApzw5lCR8

Further test:

http://vimeo.com/2638558

Jeff

zzYep, all you need for a youtube video to appear in your post, it to get the url (web address) of the youtube video, and post it. You dont need any other code, the forum produces that when it recognizes the youtube link.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

GF

Today I got around to taking a few updated photos, did not make alot of progress this past week been in the house where its been warm fighting off a cold.

This is a photo of the six way splitter, finished machining the edges this week and got it welded up.

The front part of the splitter ram is made of 1 1/2" thick steel.

Got the hyrdraulic rams attached to the log clamp and the cutoff bar.

The log trough is 23'" wide

So far the entire length is 18', its been an interesting project to build as I sometime wonder why I keep wanting to build my own equipment.

I would like to see any videos others may have of fire wood processors they have built.

GF

GF

woody1

WOW !! Lookin' great. You sure do nice work. The splitter looks real nice..It should pop those blocks.
I can't wait to see more.
Woody

fishpharmer

GF that looks great and you are very modest.  For those that don't know.  GF built the red mill in the little picture under his handle.   

GF,  I suppose it will be painted red to match the mill?

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

GF

Not sure what color it will be yet, still working on the hydraulic configuration.  The processor will have several different circuits so this will be something new I will have to learn over a sinlge circuit that the sawmill has. 

GF

Meadows Miller

Gday

GF your doing an excellent job on the Processor and if the Bandmill is anything to go by itll look and runn alot better than alot of things you could go out and buy Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)

its been an interesting project to build as I sometime wonder why I keep wanting to build my own equipment.
GF

GF I,ll give you a quote from Australian Forest Industries Journal January Issue 1980

The Timber Industry seems to spawn men with natural ability and initiative, and is probably one of the last industries to permit men to "Do their own thing" with efficiency and effectiveness!.

And there is alot of people on this forum who fit that bill Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)

That quote was the end of an artical on the Corbet bro,s of gympie qld who at around 30 yo had built a decent size logging and milling business from scratch with their production mill built from rebuilt and corbet modifyed gear to suit their needs eg a tie mill that coud cut about 2millionbft + of ties/sleepers per month out of equipment that had been scraped by other sawmills  ;)  I know one of the brothers personaly and Al has afew mills now including one in Wa that has a a log intake of 43million bft pa  ;)

Just reading your thread and the line in your last post made me think of that artical and i got it of the shelf and thought id share that quote with you all as i think most of us sometimes wonder why Mate  ??? :) Just rmember its the end result that counts even if we have to spend alittle time tweeking thing to get it just rite  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

I allways like the idea of buying a new mill but always keep coming back to building my own the way i want to work  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

GF

Chris,
I guess one thing about making your own equipment is you don't have to worry about buying replacement parts the manufacturer proprietarily builds for their own equipment.  I also like the idea of it being paid for when its complete and not having to owe anyone.

Doing office work all day I guess does not seem very rewarding, after a full week of office work you cannot see any accomplishment, after a single day of building a project outside of the office you can see some rewarding accomplishments.

I have 6 years left at my office job before I can retire, unless something drastic happens I plan on hitting the door the first day I am eligible

archertwo

GF, I reread all your posts and didn't see mention (could have missed it though) of what hydraulic motor you were using to run your saw.
I've been thinking of going hydraulic on my processor but can't seem to find much info on the motors used and what they take for gpm, rpm, etc.
Husqvarna 254XP x3
Red Max 5300 x3

GF

The hydraulic motor I am first going to try to use is a Parker model MGG20030, it runs at 5,000 RPM.

According to the calculation of "Hydraulic motor power (Hp) = Torque 166(in-lb) x 5000(RPM) / 63025" the motor should produce around 13.1hp at 1500 PSI at 100% efficiency or 8.5hp at 1500 PSI at 65% efficiency. 

The other calculation I used was pressure (1500)PSI X 15(GPM) / 1714 which also shows 13.1hp

The motor is rated for 2000PSI intermittent and 222in-lb intermittent, with this calculation it shows around 17.5hp at 100% efficiency or 11.4hp at 65% efficiency.

If this does not produce enough torque I will then regroup.

It was hard to find a hydraulic motor that might even work for this, then again I'm not sure of what I am actually doing so its trial and error. 

I ended machining an adapter for the hydraulic motor to accept a normal 25mm harvestor sprocket.

Gary

archertwo

Husqvarna 254XP x3
Red Max 5300 x3

Warren

GF,

What pitch/gauge chain and bar are you using for cut off ?  Also, how many teeth on the harvester sprocket ?

Thx,  Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Hilltop366

GF I was looking at a processor on the net the other day and it gave the following info on one of their's

It has a 41.6 hp diesel.

Hydraulic Pump -3 sections:
1st Section @ 28GPM - Saw
2nd Section @ 28GPM - Splitter
3rd Section @ 10GPM - Conveyor

It gives an idea of what kind of flow it uses to run the saw it also says the saw runs at 6500rpm, May be you can work the numbers backwords to your specks to get some ideas, I would think that to error on the lower chain speed side would be better than over loading the system and engine to try and get a little more chain speed but not having any power.

GF

Quote from: Warren on December 15, 2009, 10:03:13 PM
What pitch/gauge chain and bar are you using for cut off ?  Also, how many teeth on the harvester sprocket ?

The chain is a 404 chain with 99 drive links, the bar is a WoodlandPro 90cm (bar that is used on a BlockBuster 20-22 and 22-22, Baileys item number WPT 90 SM80).  The sprocket is a 11 tooth 25mm bore sprocket (Baileys item number # HS404 C11)

Quote from: Hilltop366 on December 15, 2009, 11:04:26 PM
GF I was looking at a processor on the net the other day and it gave the following info on one of their's

It has a 41.6 hp diesel.

Hydraulic Pump -3 sections:
1st Section @ 28GPM - Saw
2nd Section @ 28GPM - Splitter
3rd Section @ 10GPM - Conveyor

It gives an idea of what kind of flow it uses to run the saw it also says the saw runs at 6500rpm, May be you can work the numbers backwards to your specks to get some ideas, I would think that to error on the lower chain speed side would be better than over loading the system and engine to try and get a little more chain speed but not having any power.

Would be interesting to see what brand of sectional pumps they use, so far I have found only that Prince hydraulics will let me put together a sectional that I would need to a certain degree.  Would be nice to get a setup with the 3 sections you described. One thought I am working on is a two section pump, section one running at 25GPM and the second section running at 20-25 gallon per minute then using an adjustable flow divider on the second section to break it into two circuits.  The concern I have with the flow divider is I am not sure how much fluctuation will occur between both when they used and not used in sync.  I have not done anything with multiple circuits and ideas and input are appreciated.

Gary

Hilltop366

It is here where I had seen it, there are pictures, viedo and more specs as well.

http://www.bellsmachining.com/index.php/firewood-processors/4100-series-firewood-processor

I don't know much about multi circuits, I have seen pumps put side by side but am not sure how they were driven (gear box, chain, or belt etc.) My thought about that is you could use a two stage pump for the splitter to reduce splitter cycling time or it may be there are two stage available for multi sectional pumps as well.

Another option would be to put one pump on either end of the engine?

Nice looking work you have done.

Thank You Sponsors!