iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tracked ATV skidding test

Started by DGK, December 24, 2009, 12:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGK

I tried skidding my first log today using my ATV with recently installed tracks. This particular poor excuse for a log, was a rotten blown down spruce that was blocking a trail that I am, hopefully, going to use to skid a few green spruce trees. The plan is to use a skidding cone to drag the trees out of the bush to where I can load my trailer. This tree was 18" at the butt 23 ft. long and 11 inches at the top. Other than the log wanting to dig a trench, The ATV had loads of power to  pull this lightweight. I figure that with a skidding cone and a green log it will hopefully work out to be about the same amount of drag or a bit more, still within the ATV's capacity.

Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

Coon

In order to keep the log from digging in, it is best to hook as close to the back of the machine as possible.  The way it looks with the tracks I think you would be best off with a simple skidding arch.  I have one about 90% built to pull behind a snowmobile made of used materials and ski's.  I will get you some pics of it tomorrow.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Quebecnewf

Very interesting post please keep more coming. I would say you need a skidding cone of some sort. If no cone then a bobsleigh half would do as well. The beauty of a cone is you can throw it on the bike and back in easy. With a bob attached not so easy.

Check in my gallery of a cone I built out of a plastic barrel.

Quebecnewf

moonhill

Could you relate the cost of such a set up?  The ATV and then the cost of the tracks?  What is the weight of this setup?  How does it turn, easy moderate or difficult?  What is the land speed?  Is the log pictured, but green, about the limit of what you would want to do?  What do you see as being the worst aspects of such a set up for small scale logging?  Is this the primary use or is it for recreation as well?  Could you split the two into percentages?  What else do you do with it?

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

DGK

Hello Coon,

I have thought about an arch for the summer but think that it will be more of a hassle for my particular application during the winter than just skidding/dragging the logs to the main trail. This was to see if the ATV had the power and traction and really didn't mind having the log digging in as it was more of just a test than anything else. I kept the chain long to keep the log away from the tracks as I was not sure on how it was going to behave and I did not want it to touch the tracks at all.I look forward to your pics. The arch may be helpful on the main trail.

QuebecNewf,

I have looked extensively through your gallery during an earlier thread about skidding/sleds. Yes, I am planning to try your skidding cone idea. I like the fact that I can just toss it on the back of the ATV when empty and can use it when yarding the log out of the bush and while skidding the log to the main trail.

Moonhill,

Lots of questions - a few quick answers. Money lots - many different brands etc. You could buy an old skidder for less. Weight 900 lbs (ATV 700 tracks an additional 200 once the tires are removed). Speed max about 30 mph so far. Log size - for skidding all I really want is our larger green logs (20" dbh) bucked to max 21'. I don't plan on skidding too many smaller logs so this is about all I need. This is only recreational logging for me. Plans to use the ATV on tracks for hunting, fishing, camping, ski trail grooming and just trail riding. Thanks for your interest.

Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

moonhill

That covers it, thanks.  I peek into the small scale logging threads once and a while, all viable options.  I like it. 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

thecfarm

With what you're doing a cone or sled would really help.With the end digging it,that causes alot of drag and harder for the machine.You should notice a big difference with the cone.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

charlieh

Hi are those the tatou tracks? how do you  find them as i was looking at a set but have been guided towards the commander treks, as they are slightly heavier duty? but there doesnt seem to be a lot of feedback out there on either track?

DGK

Hello Charlieh,

Yes, those are the new Tatou4S tracks. If you search http://www.trackshare.com/ there is a fair amount of information. I have only about 15 hours on the tracks so not enough to warrant an opinion. I too was looking at both the Treks and the Tatous. I went with the tatous sight unseen because of recommendations  of the handling and the size of the rear tracks. It would have been nice to compare the 2 side by side before purchasing.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

firefighter

Hi nice set up with the tracks I am thinking of getting a set of Tatou 4S it will be next year if you could keep us updated on how they work . you can also go to atvtracks.net and get some insight on different models of tracks good site .I have a new Can-Am 650 Max am also going to do some log skidding but have to break it in yet . On the matter of the skidding cone you can go to www.portablewinch.com and check out the cone they sell i bought one last year and used it with there Castpanwinch works great check it out they are in Quebec good people to deal with .

DGK

Went out yesterday and felled a couple of spruce trees for my mill. The ATV has been set-uo for skidding the logs with the addition of 300' of 1/2 polyester rope, snatch block and a small plastic barrel to act as a skidding cone. The yarding of the trees from where they lay to the main trail was accomplished with the rope and pulley. I kept the ATV on the packed trail and redirected the rope with the pulley. Since I am only falling a few trees, I want to keep the ATV only on the main trail as it needs a fair amount of room and has the best traction on the packed trail.

Yarding the the large end of the log i.e. 20" butt, 14" top 21 ft. long maxed out the ATV. I was able to yard with some advantage by rigging for double the pulling power. I need to get 1 more pulley so that I can rig it for more power and have more flexibility with the direction of the pull.

Skidding with the cone worked really well. Even though the trail does get rutted from the log being skidded, The front of the log does not dig in. Skidding the small logs was extremely fast. The largest was slow and abusive on the ATV. I think that an arch with either large tires or skis would be best for the heavy logs.

Overall, I am happy how it all worked out. A few more tweaks on the equipment and I think that it will be easier on the ATV and myself.

Doug
Yukon, Canada

firefighter

I use a Logrite fetching arch to move the logs on the hard packed snow trails it works great .

DGK

Any pictures of the arch in action?
Doug
Yukon, Canada

firefighter

I have not taken any pictures yet the next time I use the arch I will take some ,hopefully it will be tomorrow .

Thank You Sponsors!