The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Cold weather clothing  (Read 11368 times)

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Cold weather clothing
« on: January 08, 2010, 01:46:54 PM »
What do you guys prefer?

I like the Carhartt bib overalls with the red insulation, along with a sweatshirt down to the mid 20's.  Below that I use Carhartt coveralls with the black insulation.  They will keep me warm to far below zero but I hate em...so heavy and bulky.  Would like to find something a lot lighter in weight.

Tom...you need not reply. :D

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Offline tonto

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Cold weather clothing
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 01:57:52 PM »
I like he Carhartt bib overalls with the micro fiber no matter how cold it gets because of the ease of movement. If it gets real cold, I just layer up better. I don't know, Tom may have a good opinion looking at the temps in Florida the last couple of days!!!!!!!!!! Tonto.
Stihl MS441 & Husqvarna 562XP. CB5036 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2. Don't spend nearly enough time in the woods.

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 02:02:36 PM »
Tom may have a good opinion looking at the temps in Florida the last couple of days!!!!!!!!!! Tonto.

It's pretty DanG COLD here in Florida. How cold you ask................  It's so cold I have to wear socks with my birkenstocks!
The First 60 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 07:32:39 PM »
Stanfield's wool (made in Canada) all the way, under my cotton work wear. An insulated Carhartt coat for real cold ones. Not them denim ones, I find they are too stiff. With these Larry, all you need is those light cotton overall's in your kind of cold or you'll be too hot if your working any amount. ;D

I could sleep in a snow bank with these and a decent coat on. ;D

If that ain't warm enough, slap these babies on. Big Bill's Wool Pants (made in Canada).

I have even heavier ones from Winnipeg Fir Exchange. ;D
Move'n on.

Offline ohsoloco

• Senior Member x2
  • Can we stay outside and play in the sawdust?
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 07:58:56 PM »
SD, I've always heard that wool will keep you warm even when it gets wet...any experience with that  ???

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 08:05:38 PM »
Running a brush saw in all kinds of weather I can without a doubt verify that claim as 100 % guaranteed. You don't even know your wet, aside from your feet feeling like walking on trout in your boots. :D
Move'n on.

Offline bill m

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 08:18:36 PM »
What kind of winter activities are you trying to dress for? Hunting, logging, truck driver etc,? I am a logger and I wear Riggs Workwear pants with thinsulate lining and a light pullover windbreaker with a polar fleece over that.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Offline stonebroke

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 08:39:25 PM »
I wear thinsulate insulated Jeans from wrangler. Idon't wear long johns under them. not so bulky then. Regulat red carhartts and I am go to go till about 20 below then I break out the arctic carhartts. Don't forget to wear good gloves and a good hat most of your heat will go out though your hands and head. It will make your whole body feel warmer. Also wear pac boots so your feet don't get cold.

Stonebroke

Offline trapper

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 08:51:20 PM »
I like the bib underwear from sportsman guide and buy the merino wool sweaters from target when they go on clearance in the spring for the top
the merino wool does not itch next to my skin.  I also use the merino wool socks.
Add uninsulated carhart bibs a wool shirt and a thin labcoat to keep the shirt clean and I am comfortable to 10 degree F
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Offline red oaks lumber

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 09:26:25 PM »
you guys are going to laugh. thin long johns, blue jeans(not lined), summer socks, hiking boots, denimshirt, 1 reg sweat shirt, 1 hooded sweatshirt, no hat, thin craftsman work gloves.can go all day. my kid keeps telling me, dad don't be dumb you need to get a coat.
the experts think i do things wrong
 over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Offline Brad_S.

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 09:29:09 PM »
I have an Ice Armor suit. Wind proof, water proof. It's made for ice fishermen and blows Carhart out of the water as far as warmth. Maybe too warm for strenuous work but great for those of you who sit on loaders all day. I don't work with logs/lumber anymore, don't know how it would hold up.
Before this, I had an Arctic Armor suit. Just as warm but lighter. It got stolen though and I didn't have time to order another over the internet. Hard to find them in stores.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Offline ford62783

• Share Post
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 09:55:56 PM »
i wear a long t shitr a sweat shirt and a blanket lined carhardt with long john bottom and wool pants im never cold but always sweaty
timberjack 240e

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 10:44:29 PM »
Well, I've lived long enough to see SwampDonkey's underwear..... :o

Because Cowboy Bob is in and out of the truck all day, he layers long underwear, with jeans and sweat shirt, topped by a flannel shirt (regular weight) then his carhardt bibs (red lining) then a heavier lined flannel shirt, with carhardt vest (red lined).  When it's really cold, he trades in the red lined carhardt's for the black carhardt body suit.  If he gets to warm, he just sheds a layer.

Save a farm today or starve tomorrow.

Offline D Hagens

• Share Post
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 11:12:15 PM »

I just work harder, keeps me warm.

Offline Qweaver

• Senior Member x2
  • The cabin is done and we love it
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 11:34:13 PM »
Cold weather clothing has improved so much that it dosen't take big bulky layers to keep warm while working.  We sawed a lot during the last two winters and long johns and carhartts were plenty down to the low 20s.  I choose not to work very much below that.  But hunting is a whole nuther thing...where you mainly don't move much.  My hi-tech insulated bibs and jacket, thinsulate boots and over the ears hat keep me toasty for hours. Pretty cheap too when bought after the end of hunting season.
Edit:  While I was writing about how good the new stuff is, I was also thinking about how warm it was in my 1950s down filled "fart sack".  I slept outside in the snow with temps in the teens many nights in complete comfort.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Offline Warbird

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 11:39:49 PM »
As you might have guessed, I have lots of cold weather gear.  I will have to grab the brand names off the heavy duty stuff later.  I wear Carharts, lots of layers, bunny boots, good mittens/gloves, fur hat, and for exceptional cold (colder than -40 F), I have a huge down filled parka and bib.  It has to be very cold to wear that stuff, though, otherwise I sweat.

Offline DonT

• Lifes rough wear a helmet
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 11:51:36 PM »
I am a big fan of wool.base layer of helly hansen pro wool underwear top and bottom, husky saw pants(summer)wool sweater,fleece vest,and light fleece on top.
Wool coat(Codet) for work stoppages and lunch,my mother in law buys me socks made from alpacas,they work real well.This set up works till about -20.When hunting it is wool from top to bottom.So you might say I like wool clothing.

Offline sprucebunny

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 12:03:03 AM »
I love fleece long underwear. Wool would make me itch. The fleece wicks away the moisture and I do get moist !!
For outerwear : I have some winter chainsaw pants but they are kind of bulky so it's usually some snowbibs I got at the dump store and chaps over them. Jacket could be anything from another fleece shirt to a winter jacket. Layers work best for me.

Love my Arctic Muck boots . Still hunting for just the right winter gloves. I always wear a hat and carry extra clothes in my truck.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2010, 06:35:32 AM »
you guys are going to laugh. thin long johns, blue jeans(not lined), summer socks, hiking boots, denimshirt, 1 reg sweat shirt, 1 hooded sweatshirt, no hat, thin craftsman work gloves.can go all day. my kid keeps telling me, dad don't be dumb you need to get a coat.

Not really, I wear layers all the time. Only when it gets real cold do I want a heavy coat on and something around my neck. But I couldn't wear denim, the coldest thing invented and too restrictive for us high steppers. Denim pants would play me out just wearing them. One fella I seen on the job (pre-commercial thinning) had a pair of them denim Carhartts and he had the lower part of the pant legs worn out in a couple weeks. I just wear cotton/poly work pants and they last for ever. What does it is the chaulks on your boots catch... rip, also short stumps can snag on the tears and soon you got "riches to rags on your legs". :D

I wear my long johns, cotton work pants and shirt, and Carhartt coat like what I got from the forum.  My dad would wear just a regular ball cap when we was cutting wood in the coldest of days. I even gave him a wool cap with tabs and wool shirt and he never wore it. He just wore thin uninsulated overalls to with a shirt and wool vest under it and maybe long johns under that. When your working, especially running a saw you make a lot of heat. He used to drive that old tractor with FEL up to the woods 2.5 miles away in the coldest weather and no cab on no tractor neither. I've seen guys on loader truck darn near freeze to the levers because they never moved much sitting there. We ourselves never had no loader truck we used tractor and peevey, so ya wasn't cold. ;D
Move'n on.

Offline Lud

• Senior Member x2
  • Impetuous.... Homeric....
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 07:09:37 AM »
I consider myself lucky to live in the age of polarfleece,  thinsulate, longtail mock turtlenecks, and Irish Setter boots.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Cold Weather Layering. Clothing...

Started by brendonv on General Board

41 Replies
Last post November 19, 2015, 07:59:20 PM
by Magicman
xx
Need some cold weather!

Started by reswire on General Board

14 Replies
Last post August 26, 2014, 10:00:36 AM
by red oaks lumber