The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: moving  (Read 2237 times)

Offline donny hochstetler

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
moving
« on: January 29, 2010, 09:39:54 PM »
My family and I are thinking of moving to northern Michigan in the near future , we have our property forsale, so as soon as it sells we will start looking for a property  preferably around Traverse city  Kalkaska,FifeLake area, I grew up just east of there in the Mio area so I am somwhat familiar with the area .My question is related to work ,I have several things in mind that I would like to do , but for the immediate I was wondering since I know several of you trolls live right close :Dmaybe you could give me some advice.What I was wondering is if there is a demand for timbercutters what can a person expect to make how do they get paid ect .I have some equipment that I would like to bring up,666clark cable skidder my brand x swingmill 683 bobcat I would consider buying a small forwarder if a guy can make any money , or would consider just working for someone . We know quit a few of the mennonite people from the area but none of them are into timbering so it makes it sort of difficult to ask them for advice

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Toms Saw
Re: moving
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 10:46:21 PM »
Jeff doesn't live too terribly far from there and I have it on good authority that his house and lot can be bought cheap now, for maybe a million-five... ;D
extinct

Offline timberfaller390

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 11:20:21 PM »
just be forwarned the timber business ain't what you would call good anywhere.
Appalachian Hardwoods Lumber and Logging Co.
Peavine Valley Farms
Three Notch Forge Farrier Service
Stihl MS390
John Deere 5103
58 IHC A-162 log truck
70 Ford F600 log truck
75 Ford F750 equipment hauler
IHC 500 dozer
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Offline WH_Conley

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to tide my profile!
    • Share Post
    • Stone Hill Hardwoods
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 12:38:59 AM »
How about Harrison?
Bill

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • I know that I do not know.
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 07:44:13 AM »
I don't have a single encouraging thing to say.  Northern Michigan overall is as depressed as I have ever seen it. Its the last place I would be moving to if my goal was work, but its one of the first places I would run to to get away from work. :)

Ron Scott or Corley5 might be able to give you some better perspective on the Forest Products business climate specifically as they live much closer to that area then I do and as I am sort of out of the loop on that type of information since I am no longer in the mill.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 09:06:40 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, Iknew things were off in the timber ind.  around here its getting a lot better, don"t know if it will last. If theres not much going on,  then i"ll just have some expensive toys  :D The other thing I do is a tarp shop,  or custom boat covers,  I figured with all the lakes,  theres a lot of boats in the area,  and this is what I would like to make my primary buisness , it might take a little time to start up,  so I figured for the time being maybe a guy could swing a saw for a while . I"m getting older and I look forward to the day when I can be inside in a nice warm building more,  I do enjoy working with trees, and will probably always do some, to some extent, but,  for now,  I would like to shift gears,  and make my primary buisness secondary,  and my secondary buisness,  primary

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 10:40:47 AM »
Ditto! to what Jeff said.

The woods business is not very good here at present. The boat business isn't very good either. The large 4 Winns boat factory here in Cadillac has just gone through a bancruptcy with many of their previous employ of around 1000 out of work. From the news reports, most are leaving Michigan. :'(
~Ron

Offline Shotgun

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 10:53:47 AM »
The other thing I do is a tarp shop,  or custom boat covers,  I figured with all the lakes,  theres a lot of boats in the area,  and this is what I would like to make my primary buisness , it might take a little time to start up, ....

Donny,

Ditto what Jeff and Ron have said.  I live in Traverse City, and yes there are a lot of boats, but there are also a lot of tarp/boat cover businesses.  These lakes have been here a  long time, so boat covers are not a new idea.

Michigan is really in the dumper right now. We've had the second highest unemployment in the nation.  People are leaving by the thousands and some are just walking away from their houses. Hate to be so down about it, but that's the way it is.

:-\

Michigan is a great area to live in, but it's really tough right now. I wish you the best in making your decision.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Offline Coon

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 02:44:58 PM »
have you thought of moving to Canuckistan? Might be an option but then again maybe not.  ???

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Offline ljmathias

• Senior Member x2
  • Been sawing part-time almost 27 years now
    • Share Post
    • Polymer Science Learning Center
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 04:17:25 PM »
Sorry to chime in on such negative news, but why move at all?  You know the old saying, a bird in the hand... and right now, any bird of any kind is better than no bird at all.  I have students out in the work force right now and they keep asking about moving on to a new job somewhere.  My advice to them is to wait till things get better, if they do, or at least till they know that the job and area they move to is a real plus in more than one way.

In any event, take your time and make the right decision.  Good luck.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Offline lancek

• Share Post
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 04:31:24 PM »
 I agree with what everybody is saying check things out throughly but if you still want to move you might consider mid Missouri lots of lakes and the timber industry is going here but real slow but with the equipment you have you can find plenty of wood if your good at logging and don't do a lot of damage !Then all you need to do is market your material

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 05:54:48 PM »
just got in from being in the cold all day thanks for all the feedback I know things are very unstable in many parts of the country right now and I wonT be making any hasty decisions without doing alot of research first well pizzas here gotta go 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Moving up ... Moving lumber into the kiln

Started by FeltzE on Drying and Processing

12 Replies
Last post March 30, 2004, 04:36:07 AM
by FeltzE
xx
They Gone, Moving on...

Started by terrifictimbersllc on Sawmills and Milling

20 Replies
Last post November 02, 2019, 08:41:06 AM
by YellowHammer