iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What type equipment for clearing is best?

Started by chain, February 06, 2010, 01:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain

Looks like we'll have to clear out some diseased pine on hill side. Don't want to bother top soil very much as somewhat thin now. Soil type cherty-to rocky clay. We would be dealing with dead pine and small brush, piled for burn. Possilby build ponds after clearing. What would you choose?

treefarmer87

a small crawler loader such as a 440 or 450 john deere
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

arojay

Dozers used to be the weapon of choice.  With so many attachments available, excavators are a very versatile tool.  Depend if you are buying, renting or hiring.
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

sjfarkas

I'd get a large tracked skid steer.  very versatile and can go on steep terrain.
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

treefarmer87

i forgot about all the attachments you could get for the skid steers and excavators skid steer would tear up the ground as bad either
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

bull

brontasouras   a grinding head on an excavator

Cedarman

A tracked skid steer with a hydraulic sheer that can hold the tree while you carry and pile it.
Tracked skid steers are ok on small slopes, but can shed a track if not watching while turning or backing up sideways to the hill.  Stay up and down the hill for best results.  Tree Terminator is made at Plato Mo. 

These shears will cut a 20" tree at ground level.  We have one at our Stillwater operation .
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

pineywoods

I would second the tracked loader IF you aren't talking about loblolly pine. Loblolly has a tap root frequently bigger than the trunk and it goes halfway to china. Most likely yours is shortleaf, not as bad. Around here, the cleaner upper of choice is a D7 cat with a V shaped blade that has teeth along the bottom edge. What it don't tear out of the ground, it shears off at ground level.

These machines are used to clean up clear cuts in preparation for re-seeding. Sometimes, they pull a seedling planter behind them. Usually rented with operator by the hour or by the acre.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

treefarmer87

the skid steer with the shear would be great i would like to have one to cut pulpwood
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Tom

Working on a hillside may make this a bad choice, but a neighbor hired a bulldozer with a KG blade to clear the acreage on his place that he wanted to plant.  The KG blade, cut down the stump littered field with many being sheared below ground.  Then a root rake cleared and wind-rowed the detritus and the land was scalped and bedded.  It all seemed like overkill to me, but he did end up with a mighty fine plantation, albeit expensive.

chain

Great suggestions, the D-7/V-blade looks imposing enough, am somewhat familiar with but used on swampy ground on willow. Some of these diseased short-leafed pine are already falling down, troubling that other areas showing serious symptoms of a soil-borne disease.

This operation must be done in semi-dry conditions; also, forester reccomended soil testing, and study soil depth and rock formations. Critical to keep top soil on top and erosion under control. May select lighter equipment.

timberfaller390

What you are doing sounds like a job for an excavator. Get one with a thumb and it can be used to dig, lift and if it has a blade, pushing and lite grading. This will be the tool of choice if you are going to build a pond. You can reach up higher to push over stubborn trees and then dig the stumps up if you need to.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

sjfarkas

how big are these pines?  do you need to pull stumps out?

chain

This would  be pole pine of 6"-10" a few 12" dia. wild seeded. There are a few indivdual seed-pine trees 20"-24" seem to be fairly healthy. If we knew the true diagnosis of disease could answer about the stumps. the smaller dead pine appeared to be rotted down into soil. Will test this spring to determine; snow covered presently.

timberfaller390

Have a forester look them over. It may be something that could spread to surounding stands.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

sjfarkas

If you don't have to pull the stumps run a skidsteer and hand cut the trees.  if you have to remove the stumps use an excavator.  I've been told that there is a company that makes a quick attach plate for small excavators to run skidsteer attachments.  then you could get a tree grapple with a winch and turn it into a shovel and run a shear for a feller buncher and also switch to a bucket and dig out the stumps.

Thank You Sponsors!