iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is "shovel logging"?

Started by Jasperfield, February 08, 2010, 08:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodtroll

NE stands denser (more stems to the acre) maybe. NW definitely more mbf to the acre.

SwampDonkey

No question. Thus, why we don't shovel log here. The volume put up at the end of the day won't pay for shovel logging, handling all them small stems over and over. A mechanized crew gets more than 30 loads a week here in the east. I've seen a lot of ground cut in one week's time and piled roadside. 30 loads is only 360 cords or 12-15 acres of ground in good cutting. Some ground runs higher in volume than that, nearly 40 cord/acre and cedar runs 60 cord/acre or more. Cedar is a lot more dense than maple.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

rigginrat

I don't like shovel logging over 500-600ft. any farther than that and we will shovel out the first 400ft. then skidder or grapple cat yard it. We are currently logging some real nice ground that is running 15-20 loads to the acre based on a 5 thousand ft. load. 40ft logs. If i can get this pict. posting thing figured out I will post some shovel logging pics. from last week.

Ron Scott

Yes, would like to see some photos of such operations.
~Ron

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!