iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

18'' cresent planer wanted

Started by laffs, February 09, 2010, 08:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laffs

hello all
im looking for a cresent planer 18x8 . prefer it to be in the new england area. ive seen a few from$900 and up. always a day late and a dollar short. would consider 14x8 machine. anyone has one for sale or knows of one please let me know.thanks
Brent
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Ironwood

Are you looking for a P-18? This is the little brother to the P-24. FYI, this unit while nicely built has the disadvantage of a early rubber bushing that is in the holddown "fingers" instead of springs. This rubber eventually hardens and stops working. There was a company in Columbiana Ohio (near the former home of Cresent, Leetonia Ohio) that was supplying parts for outdated machines. I know the industrial park they were, in but forget the name of the business now. Just to let you know. he other likely option yuo are speaking of is a early Delta 18" machine that was common in Industrial arts classes, I dont know the model, but it is a wedge bed, and it was famous for wearing out the bull gear for the table lower in mechanism.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

laffs

thanks for the info ironwood il keep an eye on the chip breakers. just looking for something economical right now to get me started. theres a lot of the  24"machines out there . and that may be the route i have to go. wht i want to do is run 8x8s see how it goes from there
thanks .
Brent
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Ironwood

On the P-18 and 24 it is the segmented infeed that had the rubber bushing instead of springs, not the chip breaker.

No sweat though, Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

laffs

you have a better access to the machines out there to check them out than i do. i  live at the end of the world up here , so far to travel to check anything out . not much up here just big ole 4 sided yates, to big for me

laffs

whats a good b uy on one of those 225 powermatics? i think a guy not far from me has a 221. its a beast. has a knife grinding attachment, but no grinder. they deal in shop fox but they had this powermatic sitting in the back ,kind of caught my eye. i looked over some but  dont know much about them. anywho said he would sell it for 2400 and include a 5hp for another 300 has a bigger motor on it now and 6 inch dust hood.

Ironwood

I have seen some hammered units go cheap. Fair market on a GOOD unit? ,...... well tough one. Depends on vintage, light green=Excellent, Dark green=Good, Yellow/gold=later years NOT GOOD. Things got cheap in the later years.

Ironwood

Thank You Sponsors!