iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question - Which Centrifugal Clutch?

Started by pitotshock, February 12, 2010, 08:41:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitotshock

OK guys,

I am looking to put a centrifugal clutch on the dimension saw I am building and think I have it worked out to the Noram 180009. My engine is a 17hp Briggs Intek twin with a 1' output shaft. So the Noram with its double 4" vbelt sheave looks like it will fit the bill, but at $265 is pretty expensive.

Which brand / type / size / hp centrifugal clutch is everone using? (Homebuilds or professionally built units doesn't matter...)
Stihl MS361, Makita DCS340

ErikC

There's only a couple available that will stand the hp, and they cost about that much. I haven't seen a homemade one, but it would be fairly complicated to do. I'm sure some could, but the bought one may be more cost effective in the end. My output shaft is 1.25", 23hp, and I think I paid over $300. For a Peterson WPF swingmill. Can't recall just what model clutch but I remember having to spend some time finding one that would fit the bill.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

pineywoods

Why not use an electric clutch? They are readily available that will handle 25 hp. Think riding lawnmower parts...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Tom

Here is the company that provided the clutch for my first Baker Sawmill.
www.blm-cm.com/

bandmiller2

Pitot,you could have a rocking base on the engine or a belt idler to tighten the drive belt and keep that money in your pocket. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Firebass

pitotshock

Well that's two votes for BLM, and I see on their website that they are Canadian Manufacturer. I will definitely check them out!

Frank, I guess I'm just not that big of a fan of clutching with the belt. But I do agree, very cheap way to go!
Stihl MS361, Makita DCS340

Tom

There is definitely nothing wrong with clutching with the belt.  There has been many a mile of wood sawed by doing that.  :)

Old Hilly

A neighbour of mine has an electric clutch on the cutter-deck drive for his ride-on mower. The one thing I have noticed is that it's like a light switch.....on or off rather suddenly. When the deck engages there is one heck of a thump as the drive cuts in. I wouldn't think that sort of shock would be much good for the band blade. If the engagement could be done with a "soft-start" gizmo loke on most big power tools letting you ease the power on......That might be a good thing.
Dennis.

Thank You Sponsors!