iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

needing some new 50cc saws.

Started by STIHLFULLSKIP, February 17, 2010, 11:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STIHLFULLSKIP

im needing some honest input here,we are needing to purchase some new 50cc pro saws. i love my 260pro's,but i think i may try a different model.i don't know how long til ms261's are available,i think they will be good saws,but i also think there are some other models that are just as good,if not better. my choices will be husky346xp,echo cs530,or the old ms260pro.based on the luck we are having w/our cs600 echos',im inclined to try some cs530s'.but i would deffinately like some input here.we will be buying 4-5 saws within the next 2-3 weeks.

Rocky_J

346xp, for sure. I'm quite particular in my saw choices and there only a few saws I'm willing to pick from, but the 346 is one of Husky's best models and my favorite in that size.  8)

nmurph

the 346 kicks everything else in this class in the butt. it's much the same as the 200 is the hands-down best in-the-air saw. it's really not up for debate. do some research and you will see the love that 346 owners have, and many were former 260 users.

RSteiner

I like my Dolmar PS5100 which is in that class. 

Second choice would be the Husky 357xp.

Randy
Randy

STIHLFULLSKIP

i have a husky sales man near by,i believe i need to pay him a visit. do you guys believe the build quality of the husky is on par with stihl?

Cut4fun

With the 50cc Husky 346 I just dont see a reason for the 56.5cc 357xp. I sold my 357 and bought 2 new 50cc 346's.

fuzzybear

I've been running an MS270 for about 6 months now and I am very impressed with it. It is a 50 cc saw with a 20" bar .325 skip tooth chain.
  It rips through 18" paper birch without even grunting.
  Just thought I would throw it into the mix.
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Rocky_J

Quote from: STIHLFULLSKIP on February 17, 2010, 12:24:30 PM
i have a husky sales man near by,i believe i need to pay him a visit. do you guys believe the build quality of the husky is on par with stihl?

I've mentioned it before, but I refuse to use such broad generalizations that "x" brand has a certain level of quality. All the major brands have multiple levels of build quality among various models aimed at different customer demographics. Stihl has some pretty crappy saws as well as some of the best on the market. Which ones would you like me to use for this comparison?

Anyway, to get back on topic, Husky has some pro models which are among the best saws on the market. My personal favorites are the 346xp, the 372xp and the 395xp. I believe these three models to be the best saws built by Husqvarna. I can't tell you about the homeowner lines, just as I cannot tell you much about Stihl's homeowner lines. I don't use homeowner saws. But they compare well with Stihl's best models, which in my opinion are the 200T, 361, 460 and 660. Husqvarna also sells an awful lot of saws that I would never own. I currently own 8 Huskys and 4 Stihls, all pro models.

The 346xp is still the best saw in the 50cc category IMO.

oakwood productions

Rocky is right. The best saws built by Husqvarna are the 346xp, 372xp, and the 395xp. I would buy another 346xp without any hesitation.

Cut4fun

Rocky is any of your 346's the new 50cc ones yet? 

Rocky_J

Quote from: Cut4fun on February 17, 2010, 06:33:50 PM
Rocky is any of your 346's the new 50cc ones yet? 
Incoming PM, I don't want to derail this thread.  :)

STIHLFULLSKIP

do the new e-tech(CAT) models still run good? i am told that is all that is available in my area. i guessing this is what the green fuel cap indicates? i know nothing about husky,learning more about echo every day. till a few weeks ago only ever used/owned stihl saws.

Cut4fun

PM sent back Rocky   ;).

Just get the non-epa non-cat muffler and re-tune carb to it, about $38. Only from what I have heard, because i wont run a cat muffler, is they will run hotter and way down on power compared to the non-cat muffler ones.
I just bought another 346 Sat and still was non-cat models here.

What area?

Rocky_J

I had one catalytic muffler saw and it ran so hot that it melted the top shroud and even began melting the chain brake handle. Heat destroys motors so I donned my protective gear and gutted the muffler to let the heat out.

I hesitate in recommending any saw these days because EVERY SINGLE SAW on the market today needs to be modified right off the bat in order to keep it from self destructing thanks to emissions requirements. I forget that most users here aren't comfortable removing the limiter caps and tuning the carb properly, never mind opening the muffler so the saw won't burn up. The Echos are so lean and the mufflers are so plugged up that they hardly run after 8-10 tanks of fuel unless you open them up and then retune the carb.

I haven't run a purely stock saw in 7 years. To me, opening the muffler is just something you do to every new saw before you bother firing it up, just like taking off all the Spanish warning stickers telling me how to open the gas cap and to read the manual before operating the saw. If you plan on running the saw exactly as it comes from the dealer with the catalytic muffler and ultra lean carb settings, then I can't help you much. The saw will self destruct at an early age and you will never get the full performance from it.

JohnG28

Yes, the models with the green gas caps are the etech saws
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

STIHLFULLSKIP

i pull all my limit caps to tune my saws,that doesn't bother me much. i know the muffler modded saws run better,i just can't live with the added noise 8/10hrs a day.i do agree that any new saw wont live long at oem settings. i have known guys to burn down a ms460/660 in less than 6 mos.and then the dealer not stand behind the saw,which is still under warranty.

tbrickner

Sorry for my ignorance but why is there such a price difference between the Dolmar 5100 and he Husqvarna 346XP. I can't see the Husqvarna outperforming the specs of the Dolmar 5100 in Hp or speed.

Now I acknowledge I am a green-horn when it comes to saws and have never run either saw. 

Can anyone explain the real difference between the two.  Because I am also looking for a light weight low end 50cc saw and was headed towards the Dolmar but may need to rethink this.  I have a Dolmar distributor and Husqvarna distributor which have both been in business for over 30 years and seem to know both saws pretty well. I hope someone can help me out and explain the difference between the two.

Thanks,
Tom

STIHLFULLSKIP

dont know anyting about the 346xp,other than what i have read.have a dolmar dealer close by,he sure works on alot of 5100's.but again i see alot of guys burning them down,dealer wont pull limit caps.put the saw in the right situation,and it cooks it.all saws are set lean oem,but 5100's seem to be set way lean. i ddont think that makes them a bad saw,and they are diffinately priced right. 399.00

Rocky_J

I've heard the Dolmars are great saws, but since Makita bought them out there is almost no dealer support. According to the gossip there are only two models worth owning, and those are the two newest models. The 5100 and the 7900. I've had about 30 minutes run time on each and both seem to be decent saws. I don't particularly like the feel of the 5100 handle but that's a personal preference. I would avoid the other older models as parts support is limited and the saws aren't anything spectacular anyway.

They also have the 6400 and 7300, but they are simply the 7900 with smaller jugs and pistons. The model number also indicates the displacement.

If you have a Dolmar dealer nearby and want to try them, go for it. Can't go wrong for the price. Maybe get a couple Husky 346 as well and let your crews try them both out.

tbrickner

My Dolmar Dealer has been dealing wth Dolmar for a long time like the 510's and knows the good and bad points about them.  I also like the feel of the husqvarnas.  For me it is a tough decision but I really am having trouble resisting the Dolmar price even thought that Husky model has a great reputation.

STIHLFULLSKIP

if he is a good dealer,and will stand behind you,then it sounds like the 510 would be a good choice.have you given the cs530 echo any thought at 399.00?

nmurph

the 346 is lighter, zippier and handles better as compared to the 5100. i have run a 5100 for several hours and i was not impressed by the way it felt in my hands, and this comes from someone who owns 3-7900's, a 34, a 540, a dollie hedgetrimmer and i just picked up a 510 that needs a piston and rings.

strongsaw

Hi, I'm new here. If you have any interest in Efco saws you might check out Amazon.com. They have Cub Cadet 5220 (Efco 152) 52 cc for $270 and Cub Cadet 5720 (Efco 156) 56.5 cc for $300 and free shipping. I believe these are the same saws Efco made for John Deere. I'm told parts are available from efco dealers and JD dealers. Efco seems to be gaining market share in US. They are the #3 top seller in Europe. There is a dealer on every corner in the UK. My friend was set to buy a 4+ hp Stihl but tried my CC 5720, liked it and ordered one for himself. I sure like mine, especially for the price. Efco saws are available from several on line dealers.

Rocky_J

567paloggger

i own both the 346xp and the dolmar 5100s i like both of them but for the 70 dollar difference go with the husky my opinion

strongsaw

Sorry, Rocky_J, didn't intend to create a problem. I wasn't aware all the saws mentioned are "top of the line pro saws". Is a Echo CS530 in this category. If it is then you have raised my opinion of my own saw. IMHO I would as soon run my Efco 152 as my Echo 520. But don't get excited, in the future I'll keep my comments to myself and just read your sage advice. Bye now.

ladylake

I can tell you that my 5720 Cub Cadet has just as much metal in it as any pro Stihl or Husky.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

STIHLFULLSKIP

i dont know,a lot of guys dont consider echos' to be top of the line pro models. i would say my cs600,so far,would seem to be as good as any saw on the market. i dont know on the 530,but between warranty and price,they look pretty good to me.

strongsaw

Hey Rocky_J,  I see you deleted your reply to me. Didn't you want everyone to know you think Efco saws are plastic junk and parts aren't available,and Echo CS 530 and Dolmar 510  saws are "top of the line pro saws". I like Echo, Dolmar, and Efco in the 50+cc sizes. Stupid me, I think they all make good saws.

STIHLFULLSKIP

everyone makes a few good models these days, but the saw is only as good as the dealer who sold it to you.

567paloggger

lady lake what does having metal on the saw have to do with a pro grade saw lasting and cutting you must not cut alot of wood with a cub cadel lol you never hear of anyone using that junk just like the new homelites probely is the same saw

bill m

I have had 3 of the o26/ ms260 saws. Not very happy with them. Now I have 2 Jonsered 2152. Great saws.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

strongsaw

Cub Cadets were made by Efco-Emak. Do your research. Just because you aren't familiar with the brand doesn't mean they are junk. The retailers, like Baileys on line sure are proud of Efco saws. I think a 56cc Efco sells for $500+. It is not a Homelite.

STIHLFULLSKIP

calm down boys,i want positive input here,and lots of it. i am going saw shopping sat. a.m.

nmurph

i don't have any allegiance to a particular saw brand, but when i buy a saw this fall it will be a husky 346. the only was that is close would be a 5100, and it is heavier, not as snappy, and doesn't handle as well. it does have a slight edge in power. everything else in this category is an also-ran.

JohnG28

Stihlfullskip, I cant tell you from personal experience, but on many a thread that Ive read here the 346xp is touted as a very good saw, like others have said, one of Husky's best, and I would doubt with the cross section of people and pros here that that would be the concencus if this were not true...I myself recently purchased a stihl 361, and my decision was made up by the input of all that replied to me here, and though I have barely even had a chance to run it yet, I know that I didnt make a bad purchase...I would be willing to bet that from what Ive read and what others say, that you would be more than happy with a few new 346xp...good luck to you 8)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

ladylake

Quote from: 567paloggger on February 18, 2010, 09:15:31 PM
lady lake what does having metal on the saw have to do with a pro grade saw lasting and cutting you must not cut alot of wood with a cub cadel lol you never hear of anyone using that junk just like the new homelites probely is the same saw

I was just responding to Rockys Efco saws are plastic junk, My Efco (Cub) seems to be built well, I can't tell you how long it will last as I don't it much or my Stihl's or my Huskys, I use my Echo's cuz they cut with the best of them, are light, handle nice,good price  and I can't  kill them.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Rocky_J

I deleted that post because every time I try to express my hard earned opinion on pro saws compared to homeowner/ farm saws, I seem to get somebody's panties in a wad. This time it was a brand new member with 2 posts. I've offended too many regular members here, now I'm offending the newbies. I'll try to just keep my opinions to myself and let you guys continue buying mediocre saws and thinking they are the best in the world.  ::)

ladylake

Quote from: STIHLFULLSKIP on February 18, 2010, 11:08:11 PM
calm down boys,i want positive input here,and lots of it. i am going saw shopping sat. a.m.

Maybe you can find a CS520 on Ebay cheap, my CS 510 and 520 saws are my favorites by far .   Steve

bl73

I've find myself leaning towards husky xp models and the jonsereds myself, i like the stihls but the dealer support isn't the best where i live, i had the 026 and that was a great saw, I've also run across alot guys with the bigbox store saws and come warranty time it's always customer abuse sorry we can't fix it attitude, i would go jonsered or husky xp.

STIHLFULLSKIP

i am definately interrested in a 346xp,i know it will be a good saw.but i have to say,i do not relish the thought of buying a 500.00 saw,and then spending another 40.00 on a muffler to make it run like it is supposed to. i have decided it will be 2 new 346xp's,and 3 new cs530's.

Cut4fun

I'm not brand biased and neither is this guy.  Only one way to find out.

I know this guy and he uses his saws big time. Probably already has a 1000 tanks through his new Efco already.    ;)

Here is his thread on a 60cc+ Efco he just bought to try.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,41789.0.html

STIHLFULLSKIP

well i just bring myself to buy a husky,i dont know why,too much money,didn't feel right,not sure. we got 4 new cs530/16" today,got them for 350.00ea. with a spare chain for each saw. cant wait to put them to work.

Rocky_J

It's probably for the best.   8)

ladylake

I was looking forward to a side by side comparision.   Steve

miking

Quote from: STIHLFULLSKIP on February 20, 2010, 08:35:02 PM
well i just bring myself to buy a husky,i dont know why,too much money,didn't feel right,not sure. we got 4 new cs530/16" today,got them for 350.00ea. with a spare chain for each saw. cant wait to put them to work.

Money very well spent. The Echo saws have been the best investment for my business.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

Cut4fun

Can you take some pics under the covers for us to see on the echos, maybe side to side with the husky even. Inside the top cover, starter and clutch area. Just curious on the new stuff.

strongsaw

Echo CS-530. Excellent choice,and at a very good price.You dun real good. Local dealer here has one CS-520 left, has $409 on tag, but his best price is $369 and that is the old gray model. When you need another saw check out the Efcos. I have 3 Echos and 2 Efcos. The Efcos are a much better saw than some would say, but that may be a lack of hands on experience. I did look - don't know if it is good or bad- the Efco 156 does have more metal and less plastic than the Echo 520. Plastic isn't always a bad thing. Sometimes the Efcos look a little pricey, but you can shop and find a deal.
Enjoy your new Echos - I know you will.

ladylake

My Cub Cadet 5720 (Efco) wieghts 3# more full with bar and chain than my Echo CS510 and they cut real close to each other. The Efco does have more metal but wieghts too much for the performance, I'd go with the Efco 165 which is the wieght as the 5720 but has quite a bit more power.     Steve

strongsaw

You are right Steve.Would make more sense to compare the Echo 530 ( 50.1cc; 11.2#) to the Cub 5220-Efco152 (51.7cc; 10.7#) I prefer running my CC 5220 to my Echo 520. They both cut good, just a matter of preference.
Echo says 530 dry is 11.2#.    Efco says156 (Cub 5720) is 12.1#  That's only .9# difference. I don't know where the extra 2.1# comes from. Maybe the 510 and 530 don't weigh the same or maybe the spec sheets are screwy.
You probably know Efco hasn't made Cubs for some time. The ones available are left overs. Therefore, hello Amazon.  Public view is Cub Cadet=MTD. Cub dealers had no luck selling a quality $500 saw. Cub should have gone to Electrolux ( Husqvarana, Poulan, McCulloch) and had them make a yellow homeowners saw for $150-200. That might have worked. Of course there are enough of those on the market already, I believe.

ladylake

I got my Cub 5720 made by Efco off a web site about 3 years ago for $280 delivered, couldn't pass that up since I own 3 Cub lawn tractors. I  wieghted them both full of fuel with a 20" bar and chain on a good balance scale, My CS510 was almost 15# and my Cub was almost 18#.  The CS530 gained about 1/2# according to Echo.   Steve

strongsaw

I don't doubt your scale. Spec sheets only compare dry weight- no bar, chain, or fluid but you know that. I've rechecked specs several places on line and they all agree 11.2# vs 12.1# for .9# difference. Hard to believe any company would purposely misrepresent the weight of a saw. I know the Efco holds more fluid and bars-chains can be quite a lot different from type to type and I guess wear could make a small difference. I'm with you, go with your scale, you're the guy packing them around.
I just thought - maybe the Efco has changed. My 5720 was mfg. in 2005. Manuel that came with it says 5.5 Kg. 5.5x2.2=12.1#. So the 2005 Cub 5720 and the 2010 Efco 156 are supposed to weigh the same. This is one of those "go figure" deals.
With some searching you can find Cub dealers still trying to sell these for $400-500.
You got a good deal on yours, especially for the time period. Supposed to warm up next week, may go cut some wood. I'm tired of winter. Where's Al Gore when you need him.

ladylake

Some or most of the companys fudge on the wieght and some on the hp also. I did wiegh the saws full and if they hold more oil and gas that's added in but thats the way they run out in the woods and my Cub feels heavy compared to my Echo yet they cut real close which brings up the HP thing with the 5720 being rated at 4.1 hp, I'm sure my stock CS510 without even a muff mod (now it's muff modded) doesn't have that much yet they cut at the same speed in bigger hardwood after the 5720 was broke in good, at first it wouldn't even keep up with my CS510. I'm running .325 chain on my 510 and 3/8 on the 5720, I think I might get some more cutting speed out of the 5720 if I swithched to .325 but that saw is right on the borderline between .325 and 3/8. This is all done with good sharp chains.  Strongsaw, have you pulled the caps on your Echo saws and given them more fuel, that makes a hugh difference on most of them.   Steve

strongsaw

I have removed the caps and adjusted. I live at 6000' so factory settings aren't as lean, but still neeb to be reset. I sometimes cut at 8- 9500' up there I cut back on fuel. Read a review/forum on the 5720, guy said muffler was most restrictive he had seen, so he opened it up, greatly improved the power. I have never mod a muffler, the way I do things I'd have it screwed up. I have more chainsaws than I'll ever wear out. I have a Poulan 3400, bought in 1982, still runs good. Compared to it everything feels light. Probably why I never wore it out- always finding something lighter to run. I'm going to be gone for a few days. Thanks for your good comments. Enjoy.

HolmenTree

I gotta say I have run Stihls for 28 yrs and Jonsered for 7 before that, bought my 1st Husky 2 yrs ago and now have a 346XP NE, 372XP, 395XP and three 576XP AutoTunes.
Expect to see big things coming from Husqvarna and starting right now its the AutoTune. Husky started building saws in 1959, were bought out by Electrolux in 1978 and just a few yrs ago they broke away from Electrolux and are now back on their own again. Their factory in Sweden is something like close to 350 yrs old.
Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

7845Robert

Quote from: fuzzybear on February 17, 2010, 01:01:03 PM
  I've been running an MS270 for about 6 months now and I am very impressed with it. It is a 50 cc saw with a 20" bar .325 skip tooth chain.

I agree, the ms-270s and ms-280s are very good saws, they never gave me any trouble, they are extremely durable!

sharkey

Quote from: STIHLFULLSKIP on February 20, 2010, 08:35:02 PM

Hi Skip,
Any feedback on the Echo's?
Thanks,
Sharkey

STIHLFULLSKIP

we have been running the heck out of these saws,without a minutes trouble, good reliable workhorses. now for some OPINION,are these saws stihl quality,probably not. i recently added an ms261 to my fleet,i am amazed at the power this saw has. it will run circles around the cs530,but it feels a little heavier,and it is a ton more expensive. with the power the ms261 has, i truly think a guy could cover all his needs w/2 saws. the 261 handles an 18" bar with authority,so all you would need is a 70+cc saw for the big stuff. i think the echos ' were a good investment,if they only last 3-4years they still won't owe me a dime.  like i said this is just opinion.......

H60 Hawk Pilot

My Oh My,

Don't know whether to gave a full vote or not ?  

I got a Efco 152 a couple month's ago and have about 35 hours on it.  It's 52 CC and cut's very well. I had a problem with the saw starving for gas and found the vent filter plugged. I fixed the vent and runs very well again. I like the light wt. and power for it's size and cutting speed with micro bar and No kick back chain. I don't know what will happen when the saw has 500 + hours on it.  It has good balance, I like the air filter design, easy to clean, plus keep's itself clean to a point and 5 year warranty. The saw has a good to great review every place I checked and should not be junker from what I read.

I bought mine as an open box deal for $ 200.00 + tax on a two saw deal.  Also, I registered it online and just requested a $ 75.00 buck rebate coupon to be mailed to me. When it come's in and send it back... I expect to get $ 75.00 bucks back in my pocket.

That's all I know about this Efco 152; I don't depend on a saw ... day in and day out for dependability and make a living with it, so can't give a full vote at this time. Also, I have not used any of the Pro saws in the 50 CC range and they might impress me even more.  I've been away from the business (not completely) for 40 years and still use my Homelite SXL and think the SXL is a fair saw.

Avery  

Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

ladylake

I find the cutting speed between my CS520 and Stihl 044  close, last time I did timed cut the 044 took 19 seconds and the CS520 took 22 seconds side by side, that doesn't leave a lot of room the the hot rod saws 346xp and the 261 Stihl unless they cut faster than my 044 which runs good.   Steve

miking

I find my 530 has been every bit the saw that the 260 and 026 are. I've put considerable hours on all of them and find virtually no difference in quality. The stihls are lighter by several ounces, but other than that I'd call it a draw. One thing in favor of the echo by a lot is the huge fuel tank. Incidentally, the 530 is no longer on the echo website but they do sport a 54 cc cs-550P. It would be a darn shame if they discontinued the 510, 520 and 530 series imo
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

SawTroll

Quote from: 7845Robert on February 28, 2010, 12:51:20 AM

I agree, the ms-270s and ms-280s are very good saws, they never gave me any trouble, they are extremely durable!

The main complaint is the power to weight and bulk, compared to the better 50cc saws. They also are built in an odd way, and I don't think they are easy to work on.
Information collector.

mastermind7864

Quote from: SawTroll on January 07, 2011, 11:16:23 AM
Quote from: 7845Robert on February 28, 2010, 12:51:20 AM

The main complaint is the power to weight and bulk, compared to the better 50cc saws. They also are built in an odd way, and I don't think they are easy to work on.

They are a strange built saw. the coil is also of a different design than Stihl's older more familiar style. I have repaired a few and the coil failure is the most common issue I've seen. I did not like the fact that I couldn't just stick another Stihl coil on them, but what do I know???

Hello Niko!!!!

SawTroll

Information collector.

ed in idaho

i picked up an echo 530 with a 20" bar about a year ago liked the price  and the warrentee seemed a little down on power cutting big red fir. put a skip tooth chain on it now it cuts like my bigger saws  Ed 8)

STIHLFULLSKIP

dont get me wrong here guys,i an NOT at all sorry i bought the 530 saws. i just dont feel they are quite saw that the new 261 is,it is just that good. the 200.00 price difference can make me forget the shortcomings. as good as the 50cc saws are these days,i would much rather run one than a big,heavy 460/660 all day long.

Spike60

I hope this doesn't come out wrong; it's just a brand strength observation.

Stihl has earned your respect over the years, and your confident in their build quality. You'll consider non-Stihls, but for the most part only if they are priced somewhat below the Stihl. That's why you passed on the 346NE: it's a non-Stihl, but costs Stihl money.

I see it go the same way wth loyal Husky guys all the time. Both Husky and Stihl have huge brand loyalty; far and above any of the other brands. And regardless of how well some of those other saws are built, they are fighting the Husky and Stihl market strength more than the saws themselves.

I have several tree companies that want a less expensive saw for some of their "less experienced", (as kind as I can put it), workers. I've been selling them some of the Husky homeowner saws, such as 445's and 455's that I get as factory recons from Husky. These things are priced really low, and as a general purpose saw, they do quite well. I'm actually surprised at how well they hold up taking the beating that they do. I also know Stihl dealers that do something similar with 250's and 290's or whatever for their pro customers.

The advantage there is that a guy using primarily Husky or Stihl can get some decent less expensive saws without turning to another brand. Same dealer, same bars and chains, and such.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

ladylake

Yes there are a lot of people with it's a Stihl or it's A Husky mentallity and think they all have the same quality.  When you put the home owner Husky and Stihl saw up against Echo, Efco, Dolmar, Makita, Shindaiwa to name a few they have less quality, wiegh more and have less power per cc and cost about the same.   Steve

TessiersFarm

I always ran Stihl, purely from a dealer reason I switched sides and bought a Husky this fall, no regrets.  The one I bought was 372 but my 026 pro is the next in line.  Dealer is everything.
Stihl E14, 180, 026, 036, 361, 045
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

ladylake

I haven't been to a overpriced dealer in 20 years, fix 100% myself and it gets fixed right. A older guy I sawed for took his fairly new Stihl MS230 into 2 different dealers cuz it was down on power, the first charged him  $60 for a tune up and a new plug and still no power. The 2nd one charged him $80 for the same thing and still no power so he looked at it and cleaned the muff screen himself and got the power back. I hear stories like that all the time.   I'd sure rather fix a saw myself which I find relaxing than to pay a dealer $60 to $80 a hour with overpriced parts and they might get it fixed right.   Steve

STIHLFULLSKIP

Quote from: ladylake on January 09, 2011, 06:29:04 AM
Yes there are a lot of people with it's a Stihl or it's A Husky mentallity and think they all have the same quality.  When you put the home owner Husky and Stihl saw up against Echo, Efco, Dolmar, Makita, Shindaiwa to name a few they have less quality, wiegh more and have less power per cc and cost about the same.   Steve
i absolutly agree with that ms250/ms290 vs cs530,there is no comparison,echo all the way.  but the cs530,a very good saw,but when compared to the ms261,there are major differences. i am not bashing here,i do own/run both.

weimedog

Quote from: ladylake on January 09, 2011, 07:27:18 AM
I haven't been to a overpriced dealer in 20 years, fix 100% myself and it gets fixed right. A older guy I sawed for took his fairly new Stihl MS230 into 2 different dealers cuz it was down on power, the first charged him  $60 for a tune up and a new plug and still no power. The 2nd one charged him $80 for the same thing and still no power so he looked at it and cleaned the muff screen himself and got the power back. I hear stories like that all the time.   I'd sure rather fix a saw myself which I find relaxing than to pay a dealer $60 to $80 a hour with overpriced parts and they might get it fixed right.   Steve

Which is why some have observed dealers are everything when it come to their saw purchase. I guess I wouldn't throw a blanket over all dealers and classify them as over priced. Two things come to mind...there are those folks who just do better working on their own stuff..and some who don't Even the ones ho do can derive a benefit with having a good working relationship with a local dealer...things like service bulletins where you wouldn't have viability on new stuff and a junk pile and historical knowledge of the quirks  for your old stuff..lol (For me at least) are things most don't have time to develop..or they would be dealers! Of course the dealers approach to business either promotes or detracts from that possible working relationship.  We have all kinds close to me. The big power sports backed dealer to the little guy who's been doing this since the earth's crust was hot. Here the big guy doesn't have the time or the historical knowledge to help the guy with the older saws..they just crank out the new stuff and fix them to factory specs...not a bad thing, but I don't spend time there as they have nothing I need. The little guy has a knowledge base & parts that goes back 30 years..parts..so my choice is obvious. The internet has also opened up opportunities for both dealers and customers...and wher a lot of the price wars are fought. I guess for me rather than taking the drive 10 miles to save two dollars or pay $25 dollars in shipping to save $50 dollars on a new purchase...that $25 dollar difference (even $100 including taxes) can pay off down the road in both working knowledge of issues you run into with that saw, and certainly when you have something crushed and you need some special attention right now that won't wait for the ebay/mail cycle to fix! As far as small saws...I'm the wrong one to ask! I have the heavy, no power,  "hated by the experts" Husqvarma 455 and LOVE it! Also a modded out Husqvarna 351 that's raucous and fun..not very practical...If I was to look at new ones again in the sub $400 dollars range.....humm....other than the Husqvarna & Stihl offerings (455 & MS250 type stuff), I would look over the Jonsered line, Also the Dolmar 510 (A bit afraid of the 5100s) , I don't know enough about Echo's to even comment! But there is enough in the Husqvarna, Stihl, Jonsered lines along with the Dolmar 510 to make the hunt interesting and fun...especially if you have good dealers.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Cut4fun

Quote from: STIHLFULLSKIP on January 08, 2011, 08:20:51 PM
dont get me wrong here guys,i an NOT at all sorry i bought the 530 saws. i just dont feel they are quite saw that the new 261 is,it is just that good. the 200.00 price difference can make me forget the shortcomings. as good as the 50cc saws are these days,i would much rather run one than a big,heavy 460/660 all day long.

I must be getting some great deals from my new husky dealer, the last 2 NE 346xp I bought were $450 or less OUT THE DOOR, TAX and all.

I will never ever pay $600+ for a 3 cube saw or $700 for the new 59cc saws coming out. JMO

STIHLFULLSKIP

yes i will agree,before long even a new chainsaw will be out of the working mans' budget

SawTroll

Quote from: ladylake on January 09, 2011, 06:29:04 AM

That can happen, but it is far from a general rule - then there are the dealer issue....
Information collector.

Spike60

I haven't been to a overpriced dealer in 20 years, fix 100% myself and it gets fixed right. A older guy I sawed for took his fairly new Stihl MS230 into 2 different dealers cuz it was down on power, the first charged him  $60 for a tune up and a new plug and still no power. The 2nd one charged him $80 for the same thing and still no power so he looked at it and cleaned the muff screen himself and got the power back. I hear stories like that all the time.   I'd sure rather fix a saw myself which I find relaxing than to pay a dealer $60 to $80 a hour with overpriced parts and they might get it fixed right.   Steve

There are plenty of guys who do what you do that are dishonest, inept, shoddy, unreliable, and of generally low character. If we use the same all-inclusive thinking that you apply to dealers, I suppose that we should look at you in the same light as those other clowns.

That type of thinking is kind of offensive when your on the wrong end of it, isn't it?
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Al_Smith

Quote from: Spike60 on January 08, 2011, 08:48:17 PM
  I have several tree companies that want a less expensive saw for some of their "less experienced", (as kind as I can put it), workers. I've been selling them some of the Husky homeowner saws, such as 445's and 455's that I get as factory recons from Husky.   
Since you mentioned that fact,'tis true . Fact is I have a box full of dead lesser robust Stihl models in my shed the groundies killed .Those plus several 50 dollar specials just for such occasions which belong to a tree service owner I know .

Then again as I look out my back window it doth appear I've become custodial for a nice Hi Ranger and Morebark chipper so you just never know what the cat might drag in . :D

saw_nut

Thoughts on Efco.

Been a pro logger for over 30 years, Used just about every pro saw from the 1980's to now.
Some of you may know me by another name, Stihl Crazy.

I have tried a few Efco models. The quality is good. I have crews running them in fulltime logging here in NS. Models being used are 152,156,162 165 and an old 980.

The 152 stock will cut with a stock 346OE. I have 417 tanks thru my personal 152 doing pro work. Shooting for 1000 tanks. I don't call 1 or 2 tanks a real test of a saw. Only problem was a broken brake side. Forwarder accident.

Took 4 Stihl 260's and 3 346's in on trade last month for 152's by pro loggers.

156 will cut with a 359/357 and 361. Guys are trading their Huskys and Stihls in for them.

162 is the strongest of the lot.

165 is great for firewood (torque) but the guys cutting spruce logs prefer the 156 for better throttle responce. One 165 was run over by a forwarder, still running after handles, covers were replaced.

The guys running these saws are not into the latest and greatest features when it comes to saws. They want saws that will start, run all day and are tough. So far they are happy. If they fail I will let you know. I have nothing to hide.

The smaller Efcos (147/152) reminder me of the Dolmar 115si family of saws.
The 156-165 reminder me of the 200 series Huskys. If they live up to these, they will be ok. 

I see the Efco line as a viable option to what is offered by the popular brands. Others are coming to that conclusion also.

This is for you Rocky, Want to put a ported 346 up against a TW 152? May open a few eyes.

Have fun , Art

Cut4fun

Quote from: saw_nut on January 13, 2011, 01:38:41 PM
TW 152? May open a few eyes.

Have fun , Art

Looking for video. Notta yet?  :)

saw_nut

Just Me

What is the Jonsered equivilant to the 345 exp and maybe a notch up in cc. The reason I ask is that I like the local Jonsered dealer in Wolverine Mi. and want to buy from him.

ladylake

Quote from: Spike60 on January 13, 2011, 08:28:56 AM

There are plenty of guys who do what you do that are dishonest, inept, shoddy, unreliable, and of generally low character. If we use the same all-inclusive thinking that you apply to dealers, I suppose that we should look at you in the same light as those other clowns.

That type of thinking is kind of offensive when your on the wrong end of it, isn't it?

I'm sure not saying all dealers are inept and overpriced but there are sure enough of them.  What would you call those 2 dealers that put in a plug , charged the old guy $60  and $80 to put a plug in and didn't fix his saw.   Steve

weimedog

Quote from: ladylake on January 14, 2011, 07:53:11 AM

I'm sure not saying all dealers are inept and overpriced but there are sure enough of them.  What would you call those 2 dealers that put in a plug , charged the old guy $60  and $80 to put a plug in and didn't fix his saw.   Steve

As a customer and a frequent buyer....(punny?) we have all kinds of dealers in my area here. It is much easier to throw a blanket over all because of the experience with a few. There will be statistically a few who never have a good dealer near by. And statistically a few who have nothing but good dealers near by, then the rest of us have a mix...But rather than take the two situations and use that to stereo type and entire business...call it what it really is..two lousy situations we are hearing second and maybe third hand. And it doesn't matter if they were true accounts, because they would fall into the statistical probability of lousy experiences...and proves really nothing other than there is all kinds of situations that move that statistical curve. Bottom line?

The smart customers spend time to see who's a good dealer and who's not for THEM. AND also realize there are certain types of issues Dealers can't cost effectively deal with (for the customer)..especially if a customer is a reasonable mechanic.BUT there are usually areas where its a win for both the mechanically adept customer and the dealer...I have several places that make sense for me strictly from a business perspective and one or two that do both from a business and are friends as well. My saw experience as it is wouldn't be possible without a couple of really good dealers and really good people who are dealers..(You know who you are and thank you.)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

SawTroll

Quote from: Just Me on January 14, 2011, 07:30:47 AM
What is the Jonsered equivilant to the 345 exp and maybe a notch up in cc. The reason I ask is that I like the local Jonsered dealer in Wolverine Mi. and want to buy from him.

The equivalent of the old 45cc version is the 2147, and the equivalent of the newer 50cc one is the 2153. Both are a tad heavier than the Husky versions, because of different plastic covers and the streight across handlebar, but I doubt you will notise the difference.
Information collector.

Spike60

Quote from: ladylake on January 14, 2011, 07:53:11 AM

I'm sure not saying all dealers are inept and overpriced but there are sure enough of them.  What would you call those 2 dealers that put in a plug , charged the old guy $60  and $80 to put a plug in and didn't fix his saw.   Steve

Well Steve, I'd call them both crooks.

I got one like that just down the road from me. There's no advertising available that would send me as many customers as I get from the way he treats people. LOL

But I realize that not everyone has a decent alternative, and your old buddy struck out with both of those dealers.

Guys like you, who can do their own work, need to be handled a bit differently than the average customer. I just had a situation today with a guy who can do most of his own work. Brought in his 385XP with an air leak. Found that it was the boot, (as usual). Before going any further, I called him up and asked him if he wanted to do it himself, or if he wanted me to do it. I pull the jug, clean everything up, put a new gasket in, so it's kind of like rebuild for which I charge an hour. He told me to go ahead and do it, but the key with guys like that is to let them make the call on whether or not they want to pay for the labor.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Just Me

Quote from: SawTroll on January 14, 2011, 01:01:47 PM
Quote from: Just Me on January 14, 2011, 07:30:47 AM

The equivalent of the old 45cc version is the 2147, and the equivalent of the newer 50cc one is the 2153. Both are a tad heavier than the Husky versions, because of different plastic covers and the streight across handlebar, but I doubt you will notise the difference.

Ahh! I stopped by the dealer a couple of times with the intention of taking one home, but I picked them up and I just could not feel comfortable. I didn't notice the straight handle, and now that makes sense. My old saw had an angled handle. Looks like it will be a Husky after all..

Thanks, Larry

Thank You Sponsors!