iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Venison - how to cook it?

Started by RavioliKid, February 21, 2010, 07:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RavioliKid

Hello, Tree folks!

A friend at work gave me some venison so I could cook it up and let my students sample it. The only trouble is that I don't know how to cook it.

I looked up a few recipes on the web, but none stood out.

Do any of you have a favorite way to cook venison steaks? I was thinking a stew might be a good way to present it to the kids, but I'm open to suggestions.

Any ideas?
RavioliKid

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

habaneroeater

Chinese food..Five-spice beef and broccoli stir-fry many recipes on line or maybe some you can see on tastespotting or foodgawker... Stephan the five spice will help the game taste that your students might not like... stephan

habaneroeater

gary

beenthere

First...trim off everything that is not red meat. That means remove everything that is white including bone. That will remove the gamey flavor that some don't like.

Stew
Dice it into roughly 3/4" cubes, put it in a crockpot along with a can of mushroom or cream of tomato soup. Slow cook for a few hours, and can serve with baked potatoes, or cook in some carrots and potatoes.

Steaks
If steaks, I suggest on a hot grill in thick 1 1/2" slices (strips) medium rare. Grill all four sides and back on the first side until firm.

Baked in the oven usually means it will get dry.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

RavioliKid

Thanks, all!

I'll let you know how it turns out. Hmmm...we have a snow day today...maybe I'll give it a try.
RavioliKid

jeffreythree

I make my mom's version of venison stroganoff in a slow cooker, put venison roast(or whatever piece you have) in slow cooker, add one can cream of mushroom, let cook on low most of the day(or if smaller cuts/half a day), shred meat in cooker and add some sliced mushrooms and sour cream 30 minutes before dinner, serve over egg noodles.  Works good with beef too.
Trying to get out of DFW, the land of the $30,000 millionaires.  Look it up.

pesaventoc

go for the gold. go on line. julia childe, BEEF BOURGIGNON. It will teach you to cook. And, if it fails, it,s still phenominal.
EZ Boardwalk Jr., homemade log arch ,1610D Yanmar

pesaventoc

EZ Boardwalk Jr., homemade log arch ,1610D Yanmar

CHARLIE

The way I like venison the best is to slice the meat into 1/4 inch thick medallions.
Then dredge them in seasoned flour (that's flour with salt and pepper in it). Fry them and pile them on a platter. They won't last long 'cause they are sooooo good. 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

Thats me too Charlie, only just a little bit thicker.  Venison should be cooked fast and never over cooked. Real thick steaks are not the way to go in my opinion as you end up with overcooked and undercooked in the same steak.

Wudman

Quote from: CHARLIE on February 23, 2010, 11:07:18 PM
The way I like venison the best is to slice the meat into 1/4 inch thick medallions.
Then dredge them in seasoned flour (that's flour with salt and pepper in it). Fry them and pile them on a platter. They won't last long 'cause they are sooooo good. 8)

One little addition to that for me.......a good onion.  Don't overcook the venison.  Enjoy.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Qweaver

I think deer makes the best chili that there is.  We cut a lot of our deer into 1" squares and then can it.  We dump a quart jar in with our chili ingredients and it is just the most rich taste that you can get.  We also cube raw deer and braze it with butter until brown and then add potatoes, peppers and onions and by the time they are browned the deer is done.  We love deer...I don't know what people mean by "wild taste".  I've had bad tasting deer but that was due to bad handling.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Jeff

I'm the same way, I don't get that wild taste people talk about, but then again we do our own processing and always have.

beenthere

I talk about it, and don't like it.  ;D ;D
But trimming the fat off and removing all the bone...no gamey taste.

Started hunting years ago with a guy who would cut his deer up like a steer...he'd saw out steaks and chops, and roasts with bone still in place. Go to his house and he had his wife serve the hot venison on hot plates, just because the tallow would set up on the roof of your mouth when it cooled some. Could peel the tallow off with a spoon. And if the old buck deer was from the cedar swamps, it was pretty strong tasting regardless. Some people like that strong taste. I don't.

When I trim the fat off, and take the bone out, you can eat it cold after cooking and it is great. Not gamey taste whatsoever.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Samuel

My favorite way is on the BBQ on medium heat, but lay a few slices of bacon across the top of it.  You obviously have to take the bacon off to turn it, but when its done, it will melt in your mouth and best of all you have bacon to garnish your steak.  What could be wrong if it has bacon.
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

ErikC

Our staple diet is venison and bear meat. I pretty much like most of the ways mentioned, except beenthere's above recipes ;D We make tacos and fajitas pretty often also, with shredded pressure cooked meat for the tacos, and seasoned and grilled backstrap for the fajitas. Instead of ground we make bulk sausage. It makes is the best spaghetti sauce you ever had, is good in beans, or any casserole type dish that uses sausage.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

RavioliKid

Okay, gang,

I'm working on the soup that Jeff showed the step-by-step recipe for. I'm going to add some more stuff and I think we'll have it on Wednesday.

Thanks for all the help!

Kim
RavioliKid

D Hagens

Quote from: Jeff on February 24, 2010, 08:13:17 AM
Thats me too Charlie, only just a little bit thicker.  Venison should be cooked fast and never over cooked. Real thick steaks are not the way to go in my opinion as you end up with overcooked and undercooked in the same steak.

I have to agree with Jeff on this one.
On the island we eat lots of venison and we found that fast cooking is the best way. If you let it cook slow it either is like chewing on a shoe or it tastes very game like.
A very hot BBQ, kiss it on both sides and she's ready. :)

RavioliKid

Here's the report on the venison project.

I ended up making a soup/stew. I cut the venison into small pieces and browned it with onion. I added it to beef stock and then mixed in peas, corn and beans. It seemed kind of "lacking" so I also put in a package of rice and beans mix I found on the shelf.

At school, I heated it up in a slow cooker, so the kids could smell it. They were ready for it by lunch time. Only one student didn't want to try it. Of the ones who tried it, only one threw it away after a bite or two. The rest ate it all and three or four asked for seconds. I managed to get three more bowls out of the pot and took them to the guys who take care of the behavior office and the janitor who gave me the venison.

I'd say it was a success!

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with ideas.
RavioliKid

Weekend_Sawyer

I'm coming in late as usual but I wanna testify!

I like the flower and fry method too but I'm trying to eat a little healthier these days and I have been grillin venisin for the past year. I start by cutting it about 3/4" wide strips out of well trimmed ham. Put it in a ziplock baggy wit salt pepper, olive oil and minced garlic. Drop it on the grill with some hickory in the coals and MAN that comes out good!

I also make alot of stews. Flower chunks with salt and pepper, drop in a pan to brown just a bit then transfer to a pot with a couple cups of water, chopped up veggies, I lilke onion, pepper, celery, garlic (of course) Cilantro, potatoes and mabe a couple of chunks of rudabaga. Gooood too. I also like to add Kidney and pinto beans but I'm a beany kind of guy!  :D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

bl73

I'll chime in a little late myself but here's what I do, I soak the venison in a saltwater brine the night before I cook it, then all I do is season the meat with some pepercorn melody, worcestershire sauce, and steak seasoning, I don't go crazy with any of those just enough for some flavor, slice up a sweet onion, yellow pepper, red pepper and fresh garlic, wrap in foil and slow roast it on the grill, I like to serve that with a side of grilled asparagus and mushrooms, get some bread and go to town. The bad part is when I'm grilling the wife invites everyone over and I might get a few scraps of what I just made.

Thank You Sponsors!