The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Venison - how to cook it?  (Read 4485 times)

Offline RavioliKid

• If it's FREE, I'll take it; If it's CHEAP, I'll buy it; NEVER throw anything away!
    • Share Post
Re: Venison - how to cook it?
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 06:32:10 AM »
Here's the report on the venison project.

I ended up making a soup/stew. I cut the venison into small pieces and browned it with onion. I added it to beef stock and then mixed in peas, corn and beans. It seemed kind of "lacking" so I also put in a package of rice and beans mix I found on the shelf.

At school, I heated it up in a slow cooker, so the kids could smell it. They were ready for it by lunch time. Only one student didn't want to try it. Of the ones who tried it, only one threw it away after a bite or two. The rest ate it all and three or four asked for seconds. I managed to get three more bowls out of the pot and took them to the guys who take care of the behavior office and the janitor who gave me the venison.

I'd say it was a success!

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with ideas.
RavioliKid

Offline Weekend_Sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • Jack of all trades, master of fun
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 08:21:19 PM »

I'm coming in late as usual but I wanna testify!

I like the flower and fry method too but I'm trying to eat a little healthier these days and I have been grillin venisin for the past year. I start by cutting it about 3/4" wide strips out of well trimmed ham. Put it in a ziplock baggy wit salt pepper, olive oil and minced garlic. Drop it on the grill with some hickory in the coals and MAN that comes out good!

I also make alot of stews. Flower chunks with salt and pepper, drop in a pan to brown just a bit then transfer to a pot with a couple cups of water, chopped up veggies, I lilke onion, pepper, celery, garlic (of course) Cilantro, potatoes and mabe a couple of chunks of rudabaga. Gooood too. I also like to add Kidney and pinto beans but I'm a beany kind of guy!  :D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe. ... and it looks like my dream will come true!

Offline bl73

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 09:39:09 AM »
I'll chime in a little late myself but here's what I do, I soak the venison in a saltwater brine the night before I cook it, then all I do is season the meat with some pepercorn melody, worcestershire sauce, and steak seasoning, I don't go crazy with any of those just enough for some flavor, slice up a sweet onion, yellow pepper, red pepper and fresh garlic, wrap in foil and slow roast it on the grill, I like to serve that with a side of grilled asparagus and mushrooms, get some bread and go to town. The bad part is when I'm grilling the wife invites everyone over and I might get a few scraps of what I just made.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Where's Da Venison

Started by chet on General Board

35 Replies
Last post December 08, 2003, 05:14:57 PM
by EZ
xx
Elk (venison) an Beans

Started by pappy19 on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

4 Replies
Last post June 24, 2016, 04:22:34 PM
by Carson-saws
xx
Venison on the rocks

Started by mike_belben on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

54 Replies
Last post February 14, 2019, 12:16:16 PM
by mike_belben
xx
Venison pepperoni

Started by petefrom bearswamp on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

2 Replies
Last post December 30, 2014, 06:16:17 AM
by Al_Smith