The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: It may be the end, it may be a new beginning.  (Read 5173 times)

Offline OneWithWood

• Senior Member x2
  • I am happy!
    • Share Post
Re: It may be the end, it may be a new beginning.
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 01:14:35 PM »
Engineer, it sounds like a plan that came together.  Buy mill, build house, sell mill, recoup investment, buy better beer.   :)

On to the next plan . . .
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Offline jdtuttle

• If it's worth doin, it's worth doin right
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 01:37:03 PM »
Engineer, I'm with Jeff & Customsawyer, you can come saw on my mill anytime. I'm a little closer to you than they are too. Some things are harder to part with than others. Especially tools. Stick around you have always offered sound advice here.
jim
Have a great day

Offline old joe

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 02:06:38 PM »
Life has a way of messing with us all.  You set a goal and reached it!  Whether you get a new mill eventually or not, you ARE a success.  The only constant is change, and while you are down now, this too will change.  Hang in there.

Joe
THE NEW YANKEE TIL A NEWER ONE ARRIVES THEN I\'LL BE THE OLD YANKEE

Offline taschmidretired

• Stay Thirsty My Friends
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 04:37:35 PM »
I remember a customer in particular who contacted me asking what his used mill (yes it was a T A Schmid) would be worth since he was regretfully looking to sell it.  When he told me the reason why I knew there was no way that I would want to talk him out of it. His wife was complaining that she barely saw him anymore! She said things like, "I think you love that dang saw more than me"! . Anyway about a year or so later he contacted me again inquiring about purchasing a new mill.  It seems his wife quickly became tired of him hanging around the house every evening drinking beer and watching TV !  Yes I too have seen a lot of repeat buyers.  Are there any pic's of the home you built?
"Until I had turned Thirty Five, the longest I had ever stayed in one place was my Mother's womb."

"Beware of the man that shoots his arrow first, and then paints a bulls eye around it after."

Offline kevinlt15

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2010, 06:45:13 AM »
   Engineer,

I lift my coffee cup high to you and this difficult choice. These times truly show what A man is made of, and you my friend are made of true grit. ;D :'(

stay positive @ look to the future
                                                                           Kevin

Offline pitotshock

• Cheap Assed
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2010, 08:35:06 AM »
Wow,

Aren't the people here great? Offers from everyone to come sawing is just amazing.

Engineer, I can see that this piece of equipment was more than just some 'stuff' to you but a way to fill your time with an intriguing hobby that shows the fruits of your labour. I am going to make a prediction that someday, when everything levels out for you, a mill of some sort will be back in your life somehow.

I hope the best in your next adventure, and I hope that you will share your finds with all of us.

Stihl MS361, Makita DCS340

Offline Engineer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2010, 09:22:18 AM »
Thanks for all the kind remarks, my friends.  I may take one or two of you up on your offers to share in the sawing at your own mills.  However, I think it's time I started reducing the lumber piles I've made, start putting my woodshop to good use and building some furniture and other things for the house.  My oldest son wants to try maple sugaring this year (hurry up, it's almost March! he sez), the two youngest want chickens, and I need to put in a vegetable garden.  So, the time was right - I've already got too much to do.   ;D

Offline vahighlander

• Share Post
    • Riven Rock Farm
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2010, 01:03:26 PM »
Good luck to you!  Im new to the forum but I can sympathize with you.  I owned a WM Super HD40 from 1999 to 2003 and loved sawing got, good at it, then burned out for various reason (trying to do too much too fast)- But I had a pretty good little side business custom sawing and salvaging antique wood.  Then I sold my mill-  it never leaves your blood!  Now I'm getting ready to buy my second mill (a little less bells and whistles)  and I'm probably more excited than the first go round- because I've been there and done that and Im more informed and know the satisfaction that comes with that fresh sawdust.  You will probably be back to sawing someday- and it will be even better then!!   My first post!  Whew.....
LT35HD, Stihl saws, Kubota M5700, Wallenstein FX65Winch/BX62SChipper

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Just the beginning

Started by bigred1951 on Health and Safety

9 Replies
Last post April 18, 2018, 06:58:35 PM
by Idiocrates
xx
Rough at the beginning of a cut-why?

Started by caveman on Sawmills and Milling

11 Replies
Last post November 30, 2014, 08:50:05 AM
by caveman