iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Feral Hogs

Started by Ron Scott, February 24, 2010, 04:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iffy

I'm lookin' for a place within driving distance to shoot a few. Not to anxious to pay the fees the guys in Texas are getting. Hoping to find somebody with a smaller holding that can't really offer big hunts but still wants some hogs gone. Tall order, I know, but pm me if yer out there.

Tom

Well, it's really not that far to Florida, and you are welcome to all that you can take on my 47 acres.  They come and go in the swamp.  One day you see the whole herd and then they hide or go elsewhere for a few days.  All I need to know is that you are there and paying attention to where I am.  :)

iffy

Tom, that is really appreciated. Don't know if we will ever be able to get to Florida again. Went once when my son was on a work-study program and he was working one semester at Disney World. We flew down and rented a car. All but the car rental went real well. I really enjoy traveling to anywhere that has a coastline because I really enjoy seafood. Spent a week up at Ocean City a few years back. I had seafood for every meal. My wife likes it too, but she drew the line when I ordered a seafood omelet for breakfast. ;D

ibseeker

Just read an report of feral hogs in San Diego County. Now, how does that happen? Did those hogs migrate across the desert? or maybe they did an end-around and came down from the north. If they looped around down south and came through Mexico, are they now illegal hogs?
They must have been imported or at least that's my guess. Hope they don't import what Texas Rangers trapping!
Anyone heard that pigs turn feral in 4 days? That's what I told recently. Exact days like that make me wonder how they figured that one out? What about the slow ones who take 6 days? :D
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

SwampDonkey

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck,
If a woodchuck could chuck wood?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

PineNut

As much wood as a wood saw would saw
If a wood saw could saw would

Warren

Quote from: Texas Ranger on February 25, 2010, 10:17:02 AM

I tell people I will eat just about anything that ain't tryin to eat me,  and maybe some other things if I think I can get the upper hand...  Looking at this guy in the cage, it looks like there might oughta be some good meat in that tail....

-w-
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Magicman

And, it's good too.... digin_2
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

Kinda looks like the gator in Robin Williams version of Peter Pan.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

iffy

A fish and game guy told me that it takes 3 generations to become completely feral, that is to change their appearance also. By 3 generations they should have the coarse hair and the shield in the shoulder area.
At least that's what he tole' me. :-\

Magicman

Three generations is only 2 years.... :)   They may become feral, but I can't see "structural" changes that quickly  ??? ???

A piglet born this spring will have a litter of piglets herself this year.  And, they reproduce year round.  They multiply like mice.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

The Russians domesticated some silver fox and I forget how many generations it took take on new appearance. But even so, that was through breeding by selecting traits. It happens in the wild, but with a lot more chance involved and a whole lot less intelligence. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

Probably find that escaped domestic pigs will crossbreed with the feral ones. Their offspring will be a mixed bunch, but the slow fat domestic ones are the ones that get caught first by hunters.

After 3 generations all thats left is the hairy fast smart feral ones.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

I seem to remember another story along that line before. :D :D

Tom

It's getting ready to hit the fan around here.  Last night, or this morning, a hog rooted up Gael's front yard.

I can smell the pork cooking already.

Yes..... Ribs, cooked over brimstone.  :-\

pigman

Found out tonight that two feral hogs have been shot in my county recently. They were both boars, so we hope they were just brought in by some fool. We are not sure if we should shoot the hogs or shoot the person that brought them here. :-\
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Magicman

Just shoot them both.....they're both pigs.   One is just stupid.

Tom

If you don't get the hogs now, you won't be able to shoot fast enough to get them later.  Not only do they breed faster'n rabbits, they are survival smart, a bit hard to kill, and can be dangerous.

Hilltop366

Quote from: iffy on March 08, 2010, 10:33:28 AM
I had seafood for every meal. My wife likes it too, but she drew the line when I ordered a seafood omelet for breakfast. ;D

I thought that is what you are suppose to do with left over lobster, Put it in your eggs in the morning......  I know what you are thinking, why would you have any left over. But I already answered that. ;D

What do the feral hogs taste like, are they any good?  Around 30 years ago a millionaire built a place on Roberts Island about 20 min from here and had wild boer there to have friends come and hunt not sure how it worked out.

Tom

I can understand a lobster omelet.   Gael overdid the oyster buying one night and I had a bunch left over.  Oyster omelets are good.  I ate them them for almost a week that time.

Warren

Hey Pigman !

Keep them suckers down your way.  Don't need any of them suckers up here on our end of the state...    :D :D :D

-w-

P.S.  Year round open season for wild hogs in KY, same as coyotes and ground hogs.       8)
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

SwampDonkey

Let the 'yotes have the groundhogs. If your hog hungry use your bullets on the above ground hogs. :D

I had a nice dog that cleaned up the groundhogs around here. Also we had a plague of porcupines. They lived in old cars, sheds and rock piles. I still get a stray and one ruined a nice maple tree by stripping all the bark off the upper limbs. Making a new home I suppose for future porcupines, think cavity tree when the top rots.

Warren

SD,

Actually the 'yotes have done just that.   30 years ago, guys would go ground hog hunting and spend several hours traveling a 1/4 mile of RR tracks just shooting ground hogs as they popped out of their holes along the right-of-way.  KY had as many road kill ground hogs as TX had road kill armadillos.

The coyotes started moving into our part of KY 15 to 20 years ago.  Now you're lucky to see 2 or 3 ground hogs in a summer. 

OTOH, the coyotes are now all over the place...  18 y.o. son was sitting on the front porch around 10 pm two weeks ago talking with a friend.  Came in for a rifle.  He had just watched 10 to 12 'yotes cross the neighbors front yard (under the pole light !), cross the road, and turn in behind our barn.  Our barn is a lasered 97 yards from the front porch. And they were closer than that when they came out of the neighbor's hayfield  ...  All the while two 18 y.o. boys are sitting on the porch talking...

-w-

WH_Conley

Warren, maybe he should act like the wild west, carry a gun all the time, I do, after killing one about 25 feet from the house. All the while the two little ankle biters were telling him how bad the were.
Bill

Warren

WH,

Regarding the coyote ignoring the ankle biters, that is actually part of my worry.  My 14 y.o. Golden Retriever/mutt goes over the hill regularly at night "protecting his territory" around the house from other animals. Not so concerned with deer and such. But this time of year the coyotes seem to "pack up".  Always a little concerned that he may try to run off a pack of coyotes that are not as afraid of him as he thinks they should be....

-w-

Thank You Sponsors!