iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New/old 036

Started by ENTS, March 14, 2010, 11:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ENTS

Picked up an 036 at an auction yesterday.  The badge saz 036 PRO.  Thru it's production run,  how many different badges did the 036 wear (like the 028 had av, wb, etc).  If it did have different names, what were the differences (if any). 

later,

Fred Henry,  Over Worked, Under Paid

Dave Shepard

036 didn't have a compensating carb, 036Pro and MS360 did. I don't think there is a huge amount of differences. I really like my 036PRO, have to get a carb kit in it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Al_Smith

They might have badged them differently but I imagine with few exceptions they differ much .

Fact being I have an 034 with an 036 cylinder and a 360 handle assembley .Parts are parts so they say . :D  The 360 handle has the flip cap and side chain adjuster which is handy .

The compensater carb works just like regular carb if vented to atmosphere .If the thing has a vent into the air cleaner though plug it with something if you run it that way .If not sooner or later you'll be starting a thread for advice on rebuilding an 036 when the dust chews up the saw engine innards ,not good .

wannabeonetoo

Al, can you explain to me what the compensator is supposed to do,and how it works ?

Steve

Al_Smith

The atmospheric side of the metering diaphragm is vented into the saws air box where the air filter is located .As the filter becomes plugged with dust this limits the flexation of the diaphragm .In other words it doesn't pump as much .

The saw will still operate fairly well but at a reduced amount of power until the air filter is properly cleaned out .

If the saw can't get air ,it can't burn fuel so in doing this some of the problems were kind of lessened from previous designs . At least that's my take on it in a nut shell for want of better wording .

ENTS

Upon inspection I saw that the air filter is in terrible condition.  First thing to get changed out before trying to start it.  Thanks for the info.

Later,

Al_Smith

They list about three styles or numbers for that filter .I failed to realize that fact and ended up with the wrong one .Not that big of a deal but it was a general nuisance of getting another . The numbers are on the filter halves in case anybody wondered .

ENTS

Finally got around to looking closer at this 036.  First went and bought impulse line, fuel line, fuel pickup, tank vent and filter.  Figured it would need them.  About the only thing it needed was the filter.  Pulled the muff. and looked at piston and jug wall.  Like new!  Didn't bother with the lines, just the filter.  Put fresh mix in and away it went.  I have never bought a used saw in such great shape.  It goes to work tomorrow. :) :)

Does anyone know if there is a stock dual port muff for this saw or do I end up poping holes in it or, does it really need it?

Later,

Rocky_J

Seal those spare rubber parts up in a ziplock bag and put them in a drawer somewhere out of the sunlight. You'll need them one day.  8)

Al_Smith

You don't need a "dual port muffler " just cut another hole in the muffler .

All I've done so far on the 034 with 036 top I'm building is to pull the screen and it does pretty good for a stocker .

Now before I'm done with it no doubt I'll remove all the baffles and deflecters but if all a guy is going to do is cut fire wood just a screen removal might be good enough .I'll tell ya now a hot rod saw is not quite and some people are annoyed by that fact .

joe_indi

Quote from: Al_Smith on March 20, 2010, 08:51:08 AM
You don't need a "dual port muffler " just cut another hole in the muffler .

How would it be if you were to make the existing hole bigger?
Maybe twice the size. Wouldn't it serve the same purpose, or is the dual port the only way?

Rocky_J

Joe, the exhaust doesn't care if it's one bigger hole or two smaller holes.  8)

joe_indi

Quote from: Rocky_J on March 20, 2010, 09:00:28 AM
Joe, the exhaust doesn't care if it's one bigger hole or two smaller holes.  8)
Thanks,
That has cleared the last bit of cobweb for me.
Joe

Al_Smith

Well to get technical about it twice the sized hole isn't the answer .

For example a 1" hole verses a 1/2" hole has 4 times the area .

You get too big of a hole they won't idle right .Fact is you might even over run the carb .That being when the back pressure is reduced to the point the carb cannot pump enough fuel because it's all getting blown out the exhaust . That's not likely to happen but entirely possible depending on the saw model .

You could run open exhaust on the old Macs but they had big old Tilley HL carbs on them .Lawdy they would wake the dead though .On most  of the Stihls  they don't use giant carbs like in the old days .

They run huge carbs on muffler race saws that for all intents are open exhaust but this is a firewood cutter,not a racer .

ENTS

Ran the saw the other day with the old filter in place.  Went to change it out today and discovered it's the wrong one.  Now can't find the right one.  Dealer can't match numbers on the inside of filter either.  Ordered what we thought was the right one.  Maybe someone out there can help.  Here are the numbers on the two halfs:

1125 120 1616           1125 120 1621

Another part(s) we can't match is the clutch drum

1125 160 2900

If I can match the clutch drum part num. I can get the bearing and rim sprocket.  Pretty sure I can use a standard 3/8 7 pin  and 10x13x10 bearing from Baileys but I want to make sure.

Any help is most welcome.

Thanks,

joe_indi

Quote from: ENTS on March 24, 2010, 03:23:23 PM
Ran the saw the other day with the old filter in place.  Went to change it out today and discovered it's the wrong one.  Now can't find the right one.  Dealer can't match numbers on the inside of filter either.  Ordered what we thought was the right one.  Maybe someone out there can help.  Here are the numbers on the two halfs:

1125 120 1616           1125 120 1621

Another part(s) we can't match is the clutch drum

1125 160 2900

If I can match the clutch drum part num. I can get the bearing and rim sprocket.  Pretty sure I can use a standard 3/8 7 pin  and 10x13x10 bearing from Baileys but I want to make sure.

Any help is most welcome.

Thanks,

The two numbers shown for the airfilter halves dont exist in the list however the following numbers do exist:
Air Filter outer piece regular:1125 120 1607
Air Filter outer piece fleece : 1125 120 1622
Air filter inner piece regular : 1125 120 1602
Airfilter inner piece fleece    : 1125 120 1617

The Clutch drum by itself is not available .It comes only in a Rim sprocket kit
The 3/8" Rim sprocket kit 7T (7teeth rim) is part number 1125 007 1041
The spur sprocket is available as a single unit part number : 1125 640 2006

Joe

ENTS

Thanks Joe.  I ordered that sprocket kit.  As far as the filter goes, we'll see what arrives from what I ordered.

Hope all is well,

Al_Smith

Say on that clutch drum keep in mind that is a small splined drive .As such the small sized Oregon rims will not interchange with Stihl .Why,because that's just Stihl being Stihl . :D

No matter the Oregon replacement isn't that much considering just the Stihl rim is around 7-8 bucks from a dealer .That saw was offered in both a .325 or 3/8" chain size .

I changed mine over to 3/8" to keep from having so many sizes of chain .

I've only got one in .325 chain size and that is because they don't make 3/8  lo pro in chisel else that's what it would be .

ENTS

I guess that's why on the Oregon web site there was no match for sprockets. 

ENTS

Ran the 036 today cutting some maple.  First two trees I dropped using the 460.  Switched to the 036 for the last one.  WOW, what a difference.  Granted the 036 cut the tree just fine, just seemed too slow.  The chips were flying like crazy, but, well, can't explain it.  I guess I'm so use to that extra power and grunt of the 460.  I think I'll clean up the exhaust port (muffler and jug) and open that muffler up a tad.  Not much in that muffler tho, biggest restriction is the screen.  We shall see.

Later,

Al_Smith

You have to remember the 036 is just a tad over 60 cc's where as the 460 is about a full cubic inch over that .

You could fiddle with the smaller saw and get some more grunt but it's doubtfull it will pull like the 460 .In smaller stuff though it could be pretty close .

ENTS

I never really (even in my wildest dreams) expected it to pull like the 460.  It was just a big jump grabing that 036 just after running the 460.  I had hoped it would be close to my old 044 (may it rest in peace) but I don't think it's close to that either.  

The mate between the exhaust port and the muf. is (as usual) not very clean.  Muf. sheat metal sticks up quite a bit.  I'll knock that down.  It'll help the saw (only the saw knows) but I doubt I'll see any difference.  

All in all, I'm just tickeled with it.  For a used saw, unknown original owner, it's a great runner. 8)

Later,

Mad Professor

Quote from: Al_Smith on March 27, 2010, 06:55:44 AM
Say on that clutch drum keep in mind that is a small splined drive .As such the small sized Oregon rims will not interchange with Stihl .Why,because that's just Stihl being Stihl . :D

No matter the Oregon replacement isn't that much considering just the Stihl rim is around 7-8 bucks from a dealer .That saw was offered in both a .325 or 3/8" chain size .

I changed mine over to 3/8" to keep from having so many sizes of chain .

I've only got one in .325 chain size and that is because they don't make 3/8  lo pro in chisel else that's what it would be .

Al the kit he ordered is the large spline with the 16 mm bearing.

I believe you can use the small spline picco rim with the smaller bearing clutch setup.

Some people adapt these (036 small bearing clutch/picco rim) to the 066 for milling

Al_Smith

I may have grabbed the wrong drum when I built that 034 with 036 cylinder .No matter I guess ,it works .

Just a couple of boxes of parts to sort through when I cobbled it together . I was just surprised to find out the rims were different between Stihl and Oregon .

Mad Professor

Incompatibility enforces brand loyalty.

Thank You Sponsors!