The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: The real cost of bands? Swing mill have lower cost?  (Read 5935 times)

Offline ARKANSAWYER

• Senior Member x2
  • Poor white Southern trash
    • Share Post
Re: The real cost of bands? Swing mill have lower cost?
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2010, 06:30:31 PM »
Sigidi,
  On a band mill like the LT70 you will go through 3 or 4 blades a day sawing like we do if you do not hit any FOD while sawing out between 4,500 to 6,000 bdft.  On the LT40 I use 2 or 3 blades a day with no FOD and will cut 1,500 to 2,500 bdft of lumber.  Both machines have de-barkers.
  But I can saw 1x12's very easy and faster then a swing mill.  I can saw an 8" log just as easy as a 30" log so band or swinger have their limits and merits.
  With circle blades the start up cost is higher but over time the cost per bdft drops to very low.  With my scragg mill the blades cost about $900 each and it cost $40 to put in new insert teeth.  By the time I file them a few times and get ready to replace them my cost is some where around $0.0008 bdft which is alot lower then my band cost of around $0.012 bdft.
ARKANSAWYER

Offline Meadows Miller

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Find a Job You Love & You Will Never Work Another Day In Your Life
  • The Walkabout Sawyer
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2010, 07:20:44 PM »
Gday

Arky are you running 1 1/2 or 2" .050 & and .055 bands on the lt70 Mate also 4500 to 6000 is bloody good going production but I would expect it with the setup you have  ;) ;D 8) 8)   how many do you have working with you on the lt70 and edger Mate ? Allan thats 10.6 to 14.1 m3 sawn per day Mate

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2010, 08:23:14 PM »
A box of 15 blades .045x158"x10 degree sells for $330.00. That is $22.00 per blade. If you sharpen your blades yourself, and you get 6 sharpenings, then your blade  cost is really $3.00.  Thanks 

I would think that the initial cost of the resharpener should figure into the formula somewhere  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline sigidi

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2010, 06:25:53 AM »
A box of 15 blades .045x158"x10 degree sells for $330.00. That is $22.00 per blade. If you sharpen your blades yourself, and you get 6 sharpenings, then your blade  cost is really $3.00.  Thanks 

I would think that the initial cost of the resharpener should figure into the formula somewhere  ???

Yeah good point MM, how much does the average sharpener for bands go for? with the Lucas we get our sharpener as part of initial purchase.

As for doing my own tips... I have thought about it, but then I'd need to send 'em off to get hammered/tensioned anyway and I figure I am good at the sawing but would have to learn the saw doctoring all from scratch and any of our mills are only as good as our blades/bands right? so then I'd be going out on jobs and not be 100% confident I have the best set-up I can for my customer until I have done a whole whack of learnin on saw doctorin... just my spin on tipping.
Always willing to help - Allan

Offline ARKANSAWYER

• Senior Member x2
  • Poor white Southern trash
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2010, 04:39:05 PM »
 I am running 1 1/5 wide, 0.055 thick, and 10 degree bands from WM  There is a 3ph edger and 3 men standing behind me.  I saw standing at the front so I can see the boards so I know grade and when to flip the cant.  I have never figured out how to saw from the back of the mill as opening cut is important as much as grade.
  If we get into pine or really good logs it is not a problem (for me and the LT70) to do 8,000 bdft a day.  How ever the electric motor is not very loud and I here lots of whinning behind me.  ;D
ARKANSAWYER

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Lower Cost Portable Mill

Started by KiwiCharlie on Sawmills and Milling

12 Replies
Last post June 25, 2002, 10:04:27 PM
by Bro. Noble
xx
real cost of electricity

Started by r.man on General Board

24 Replies
Last post March 12, 2016, 05:15:58 PM
by Mooseherder
xx
What does it cost to mill a tie?

Started by Bill H on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post October 17, 2005, 09:46:57 PM
by Bill H
xx
Running cost statistics on your mill please??

Started by Wife on Sawmills and Milling

32 Replies
Last post March 07, 2005, 03:05:27 AM
by Wife