iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grumpy old men

Started by pineywoods, May 04, 2010, 08:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

WOW!! You guys are all a very nice bunch of Grumpy Old Men. And should add busy too. Talk about giving back to the community.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pineywoods

Quote from: sandhills on September 12, 2013, 10:57:20 PM
Very nice Pineywoods!  I see it also comes with built in pallet fork spaces.
Those were a necessity. There's 2 nice 12 foot pine logs in there.  ;D Had to put weights on the back of the compact tractor in order to lift it.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Den Socling

I just re-read this thread from the beginning. You Grumpies have been going a long time. As I read through, I began to fear that you were going to announce the end. But no. Another project. You guys are the greatest. May the Grumpies live forever.

DanG

I think that's their plan, Den. ;) :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

pineywoods

Been a while since we posted a project, but the grumpy old men are still active, altho we have lost a couple of the original group. Younger ones are beginning to admit to being old and grumpy. ;D. This project is just wheel chair ramps but with a couple of twists..Built for a young man who got his back all broken up. surgeons repaired it with 2 steel rods and a bunch of bolts and screws. Unfortunately, the fix didn't last, bones are beginning to slip and twist on the spinal column. He is facing life in a wheel chair for the rest of his life. We found him an athletic type wheelchair which he is slowly learning to use. The house where he lives is not very wheel chair friendly..It's a long low ranch style with bedrooms and baths on one end, kitchen and dinning area on the other, with a sunken living room/den in between. He told us, "I'm starving because I can't navigate the sunken den to get to the kitchen. ;D So we have to install ramps inside the house, a first for us. 2X8 cypress stringers with 1X8 cypress decking, spar varnish finish.

Started to install the other ramp on the other side of the room and found a stone fireplace in the way. That required re-engineering the ramp to connect to the landing at a twenty degree angle.

That took care of inside the house, still have a 4 inch drop from the house floor down to the carport to get outside. For that, I saw a tapered 4X16 slab out of a 4 inch thick pine slab. My woodmizer handles that nicely

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

WmFritz

Very nice design/engineering, piney.
When the Grumps get together, you all do some very nice work.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

I sure hope someday I'm lucky enough to have a bunch of grumpy old men for neighbors!  Very nice of you guys  :)

pineywoods

Quote from: sandhills on September 09, 2014, 09:52:51 PM
I sure hope someday I'm lucky enough to have a bunch of grumpy old men for neighbors!  Very nice of you guys  :)

Even nicer to have them as friends that are always there when you need them.  I'm blessed... 8)

slider

al glenn

Bill Gaiche

Good show Piney. Now he can put on some weight. bg

thecfarm

Another fine project done!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Den Socling

This isn't about Grumpies but about helping hands. I was in the hospital last week when Patti got a call that a load of Sinker Cypress timbers was being delivered a day early. Patti freaked out because there was nobody available to run the forklift. She couldn't reach our son, Garrett. She started calling the neighbors and word got out that we needed help. On Monday, I was at the dentist. He said that he was on the list of potential forklift operators.  :) As it happened, the truck came a day later and I got out of the hospital an hour or so before it arrived. Garrett drove the truck but I helped.  :D

never finished

pineywoods some how I have missed this thread until now. I admire you and your grumpy old friends. My family seems to think I get grumpy if I don't have a project. So they try to keep me happy any they can.

1woodguy

I just now ran across this! In think you guys are great!
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

pineywoods

Here's an update on the latest grumpy old men project. We live in a part of the deep south that's very poor economically depressed. Lots of older folks living on minimum income, frequently alone in a rural area. We are blessed with a good telephone system and 911 service, which has led to the latest project. We take in donated logs, have work parties at my mill, sell the lumber and apply the proceeds to this project. Those funds  provide free medical alert systems to anyone who needs them. A waterproof pendant

which,when activated, talks to a modified phone set

The phone is programed to call family, neighbors, or 911 and play back a pre-recorded message giving name, address, etc. Who ever answers the call can talk back via a speaker in the phone..

The units are purchased and become property of the user,No monthly fees or install charges

This program is proving to be quite popular..over 20 installed so far...

Chuck White

You're amazing, Piney.   smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

That is a very worthwhile project to sponsor.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

sandhills

And the Grumpy Old Men ride again!  :)  I've had several family members use those services, good job guys.

WDH

Good to see that you are still grumpy. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bhall

pineywoods, your type of Grumpy is a good thing, that is for sure and I certainly commend you for all the outstanding projects that you & your fine friends do. Bob
97 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic/Lombardini
Life is good on the Catawba path

coxy

I just read all 4 pages what a great thing you grumpy old men are doing   hats off to all of you grumpy old men past and present  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Thank You Sponsors!