The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: HOT Today  (Read 94296 times)

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
Re: HOT Today
« Reply #840 on: July 13, 2020, 06:05:40 AM »
I gave up complaining about the weather when I realized nobody was going to do anything to fix it. ;D I did try holding back paying my taxes until the government figured it out, but that didn't work either, so I gave up. As long as I don't have to chip it, I am pretty good with whatever comes. It's the ice storms I hate, they get folks killed and don't do anybody any good.
 Anyway, I have always just worked around the weather because for me it's an insurmountable obstacle. When we got our first house I was somewhere around 28 years old and self employed. The house needed a lot of work, but we bought it because it had two garages I could move my shop into and save that rent money. I needed to do new roofs on both buildings and it was HOT, so I would get to it at 6am and do quiet work (moving material, etc) until I could legally make noise at 7:30, then work until around 10 or 11, then move onto other stuff and get back on the roofs at around 5pm and work until 9 or so. I do recall it was so hot that I had to cover any tools on the roof with rags or they would get so hot you couldn't hold them.
 I'd like to be doing the same routine these days, but I can't seem to drag my butt out there in the cool morning hours. No problem getting up on time (today was 4:30) just can't get a move on. And right now it is not even really hot here! It's only hitting 90 and the humidity gets down to 65% during the day. I am still waiting for the 95/95 days when it really knocks me down hard.
 I just keep plugging along at whatever pace I can manage, any progress is better than no progress. Anything I do today does not have to be done tomorrow, and that is the thought I hang my hat on.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #841 on: July 13, 2020, 06:41:26 AM »
  smiley_sun smiley_sweat_drop smiley_fused_bomb
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #842 on: July 13, 2020, 08:15:00 AM »
I haven't seen any complaining but I have seen work schedules adjusted in order to take advantage of the cooler morning hours and then knocking off in the early afternoon.  (Read the OP on this topic)  My decision to postpone this job was based on the fact that there is no shade where the logs are staged and not working a full day when the customer is paying lodging seems unprofessional to me.  Working in 95+ temperature is a health risk and avoiding it is a good dose of reality.  I will take care of some farm maintenance the first few days and then saw Friday (and Saturday if necessary). I didn't get to be this old by being lazy nor stupid.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
  • Texan, by God and by choice.
    • Share Post
« Reply #843 on: July 13, 2020, 08:35:12 AM »
102 actual, 110 felt.  This old dog stayed in the shade/AC.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Offline Sixacresand

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #844 on: July 13, 2020, 08:49:42 AM »
97% humidity, 93.  I agree with Magicman.  Nothing out in the sun today.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum

Offline EOTE

• I don't suffer from insanity-I enjoy every minute.
    • Share Post
    • Weather at EOTE
« Reply #845 on: July 13, 2020, 08:52:51 AM »
I haven't seen any complaining but I have seen work schedules adjusted in order to take advantage of the cooler morning hours and then knocking off in the early afternoon.  (Read the OP on this topic)  My decision to postpone this job was based on the fact that there is no shade where the logs are staged and not working a full day when the customer is paying lodging seems unprofessional to me.  Working in 95+ temperature is a health risk and avoiding it is a good dose of reality.  I will take care of some farm maintenance the first few days and then saw Friday (and Saturday if necessary). I didn't get to be this old by being lazy nor stupid.  
MM, this is what I mean by bringing a solution to the problem.  You work around the heat issue and I am learning to get up early and get things done while I can.  Sometimes I work into the evening and am finding solutions for the lack of light since in the evening and at night heat is generally not a problem.
So I equipped the 12 Mexicans with the ability to work at night.  ;D  (Usually the umbrella is closed at night but it made for a fun picture.)

EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #846 on: July 13, 2020, 11:02:03 AM »
Since I only saw portable at the customer's location I have not and will not equip my sawmill with lights.  The shower of sparks when the blade hits the log clamp is blinding!!  ::)  :o

A little known fact about Mississippi.  :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Resonator

• Board Footage and Cord Woodage
    • Share Post
« Reply #847 on: July 13, 2020, 12:50:31 PM »
EOTE, did your Kubota come from Roswell originally?  ???
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Offline farmfromkansas

• Share Post
« Reply #848 on: July 13, 2020, 01:25:35 PM »
This old coot is having trouble with the heat too, still have some oats to thrash, and a bunch of prairie hay to cut, rake and bale. Broke the spring on my mower that makes the trip hook, ordered a bunch of parts to fix it, got most of them installed, but have a couple left, now the rain is over, hope to get the oats cut and the straw baled, then need to plant some feed on that ground. This rain has got us all behind on the prairie hay.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Offline EOTE

• Share Post
    • Weather at EOTE
« Reply #849 on: July 13, 2020, 06:26:12 PM »
EOTE, did your Kubota come from Roswell originally?  ???
That's a good one!  I created the umbrella mount so I wouldn't have to be in the sun.  I used an old beach umbrella I had.  When I was dragging logs out of the bottomland, I only had the lame lights that Kubota puts on the tractors and a "headlight" that I wore on my forehead.  I said there has to be better lighting than that...I found a 30,000 lumen LED lightbar for the front and 2 - 10,000 lumen LED lights to point to the back.  $30 for the front light and $20 for the back light.  I mounted them using big magnets to the roll bar.  Man, you can see a long ways in the dark with them.

Now when I go into the trees it definitely looks like something from outer space landed there and is moving about. :o :D

EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #850 on: July 13, 2020, 06:47:50 PM »
Where is your hood

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #851 on: July 13, 2020, 06:54:51 PM »
His lights melted it off.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #852 on: July 13, 2020, 08:35:33 PM »
That umbrella would last about 5 minutes before I tore it off in the woods :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #853 on: July 13, 2020, 09:33:02 PM »
They repaved our road today. It was warm and mostly sunny. I noticed the guy on the roller driving back and forth all day had a golf umbrella rigged up on his machine. Every once in a while he had to adjust for the suns angle. Not a super day to be on a blacktop crew.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline EOTE

• Share Post
    • Weather at EOTE
« Reply #854 on: July 14, 2020, 02:48:30 AM »
Where is your hood
I had the hood off for some repairs...(dropped an oil pipe on it when it slipped out of the grapple).  Those plastic mallets work wonders for repairing hoods.  :D

Offline EOTE

• Share Post
    • Weather at EOTE
« Reply #855 on: July 14, 2020, 02:50:23 AM »
That umbrella would last about 5 minutes before I tore it off in the woods :D.
Yeah, I agree.  That's why I have a foldable umbrella instead of an old car hood like MM :D ;D.  I can take it off when I am in the woods.  I generally don't have enough direct sunlight to use it there.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
It's a little wet here today.

Started by Dave Shepard on General Board

5 Replies
Last post April 17, 2007, 06:56:23 PM
by Dave Shepard
xx
Went to WM today.

Started by Gundog on Sawmills and Milling

2 Replies
Last post March 01, 2017, 11:42:31 PM
by Gundog