iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How many Millers Falls boring machines? Who needs new gears?

Started by Brad_bb, June 14, 2010, 03:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

SEE POLL ABOVE
I am rebuilding a Millers Falls Boring machine and will soon be getting a quotation for replacement gears.  These gears will have the same hub design as the originals, but the pitch will be 6 and 19 teeth.  This is so that existing tooling can be used to cut the teeth.  The originals were 22 teeth and an oddball pitch between 6 and 7.  Functionally the ratio will still be 1:1 same as original.  The teeth of the new gears will be stronger as they will be machined and not cast, and slightly larger tooth geometry.  I am doing this poll to help me decide how many sets I want to have quoted.  I'm sure they won't be cheap, but the more sets made, the more cost effective it would be.  It's also interesting to get an idea how many are out there (or at least are with FF members).  
You are not committing to anything here, but I'm looking to know if you have a machine and if the teeth are worn enough to use replacement?  I will be writing an article about this in the future.
Thanks, Brad_bb
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Jim_Rogers

Brad, Tom is away until Wednesday, I'll mention it to him when I see him.....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Raphael

I'm thinking, with a little care, the existing gears will outlast me.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Brad_bb

I'm surprised the response hasn't been much greater so far.  I would have thought there were a lot more MF machines with forum members.  Bump!  Response is slow in the guild forums too.

Jim_Rogers

You may have to put a free add in Scantlings to get a larger response.....

frwinks

I think we all know new set of gears is going to be $$$$ and are keepin' quiet :D

Raphael

Quote from: frwinks on June 17, 2010, 01:11:44 PM
I think we all know new set of gears is going to be $$$$ and are keepin' quiet :D

True enough, I wasn't about to commit to spares.   ;) ;D
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Brad_bb

There is no commitment here!  As I stated in the original post, I'm just trying to get an IDEA of how many are out there, and how many are out there that COULD use new gears.  In order for me to find out what they would cost, I need make an educated guess at how many might be interested(depending on the price of course, I understand that).  We need a starting point.  Everyone's definition of what is too much is different.

Jim_Rogers

Brad_bb

Poll says 5 machines, and 1 needing gears.  I'm surprised as I thought a lot more FF people had MF machines.  Response has been slow on the guild forum too.  I'm not asking anyone for a commitment, just want to know how many machines and how many of those should have the gears replaced.  I suspect that a lot of people are continuing to use their machines with overly worn bearing bores/shafts.  This will lead to shorter gear life than if the bearing bores/shafts were repaired.

Thank You Sponsors!