iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

For and Against Forest Certification

Started by Tom, June 28, 2010, 02:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Jim,

The value of carbon credits in the US is about $400/acre (net present value) for a 99 year contract.  That is not very compelling at all to a landowner to tie up their property for 99 years for $400 in today's money.  With the economic disaster in the US in the last couple of years, the carbon markets pretty much tanked.  With no legislation forcing action, most big carbon emiters are sitting on the sidelines to see what transpires politically. 

Some will voluntarily buy carbon credits to offset their carbon footprint as long as carbon is so cheap, but the majority will wait until they are forced into it by legislative regulation.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Suzuki is a ways from his $50-70. Yes, I was talking a nation wide carbon credit scheme. There isn't private money in NB that will invest into it. Basically, you have the McCains and the Irvings and Ganongs. They are what drives our province in any direction such as this. All you have to do is look who is sitting on the committees and "think tank" groups. I've not heard them commit to any dollars.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Just Me

Interesting read.

For what its worth from a builders perspective......

First, I have yet to have a customer ask me about anything green. My customers are a pretty smart lot, anyone with cash to build a house in this economy probably is, and they are not interested. Most when I bring it up see it as more medling in their business and nothing more.

You guys are discussing just the beginning of a chain of events that ends with me and my fellow builders. There are a whole lot of people in the middle that will be affected as well, all the way down the line. Each step along the way will cost someone money, and for what? What real world gain has been achieved? Not seeing it myself.

If this is allowed to continue, it will become law, as these things have a tendency to do, again adding a layer of cost to be passed on down the chain to the consumer, who by the way is not building new homes anyway. Added cost is not going to attract new customers. I think most home builders can see this thing for what it really is, a money grab. Companys like Hanleywood are helping to push it, but for no other reason than to gain a marketshare, and maybe force out a few small competitors along the way. I have stopped using any products from Hanleywood by the way, I see them as part of the problem.

There is no gain. the products are no better and many of the green alternatives are a joke. The houses are no more efficient than anything that was built before, and certianly not cost effective. Spending a dollar to save a dime is just not good economics.

No, to me and everyone in this business, this is just a big con job, a money grab, and a group that is trying to achieve power over our lives for no real reason other than money and power. Freedom lost is seldom regained. Be carefull my friends, as I see it you are just the first to fall.....

Thank You Sponsors!